British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mail forwarder/shredder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mail-forwarder-shredder-747003/)

GeoffM Feb 1st 2012 8:45 am

Mail forwarder/shredder

I need a temporary US mailing address with optional forwarding but I can't seem to find something which doesn't involve walking into a local (US) branch of Mailboxes Etc (and their competitors) with ID - and a home US address. The former I can't do from 5,000 miles away and the latter I don't yet have.

A long time ago I recall a service which I think was more designed for Americans travelling abroad where their mail was redirected to an office somewhere. The outside of the envelope was scanned and the customer could view the scanned image from abroad. He could then either ask for it to be shredded, or to view the contents. If the contents were viewed then somebody would open it and scan whatever was inside. The customer could then view that online, then shred or forward the mail physically.

That's the kind of thing I want but try as I might, I can't get the right magic incantation in the search engines!

GeoffM Feb 1st 2012 9:02 am

Re: Mail forwarder/shredder

Don't worry, just realised my agent can do all of the above for $49/mo and it'll be setup by tomorrow! Doh!

Jerseygirl Feb 1st 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9877550)
Don't worry, just realised my agent can do all of the above for $49/mo and it'll be setup by tomorrow! Doh!

Please could you post the details...it may be something we are interested in doing?

GeoffM Feb 1st 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9877862)
Please could you post the details...it may be something we are interested in doing?

http://www.earthclassmail.com/
Looks like it's the type of thing I was after - I seem to have uttered a better search expression this afternoon.

Jerseygirl Feb 1st 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9878147)
http://www.earthclassmail.com/
Looks like it's the type of thing I was after - I seem to have uttered a better search expression this afternoon.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post that. :)

Bob Feb 1st 2012 5:06 pm

Just remember to unsubscribe to all your grot first huh :D

411 May 1st 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9877550)

Ive not logged onto this site in a long while. However I have been using https://www.maillinkplus.com/ at $100 a year for about 4years and they have always forwarded my US mail to what ever address I specify including UK. They send out email notifications with the sender details on the day the mail arrive so you can choose what to forward to your home and the junk to leave behind.
However I am in the process of switching to my local USPS which is 300ft from the place I just purchased in LA.

RICH May 1st 2012 9:59 pm

I think I am going to invent a scanner/ shredder thing to go on my mailbox outside. Thanks!

robin1234 May 2nd 2012 1:55 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10036179)
I think I am going to invent a scanner/ shredder thing to go on my mailbox outside. Thanks!

I'd like to install a shredder at the AARP headquarters, so their outgoing is shredded at source..

markwm May 2nd 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by 411 (Post 10036164)
Ive not logged onto this site in a long while. However I have been using https://www.maillinkplus.com/ at $100 a year for about 4years and they have always forwarded my US mail to what ever address I specify including UK. They send out email notifications with the sender details on the day the mail arrive so you can choose what to forward to your home and the junk to leave behind.
However I am in the process of switching to my local USPS which is 300ft from the place I just purchased in LA.

I just noticed that our local post office has a large section with mailboxes but I do wonder what is the purpose of using them when we can get mail delivered directly to the apartment? Is it because people move around a lot and it's easier to have a static address?

Uncle Ebenezer May 2nd 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10037455)
I just noticed that our local post office has a large section with mailboxes but I do wonder what is the purpose of using them when we can get mail delivered directly to the apartment? Is it because people move around a lot and it's easier to have a static address?

Just good old fashioned American paranoia.

411 May 2nd 2012 3:20 pm

I dont think is Paranoia. I have to redirect all my UK mail to my dads because I really dont want people especially tenants knowing where I live. With google maps I can see my car parked outside my home. US mailboxes dont come right up to your door so your box can get quite full very easily and you also need a key to keep the box secure. Maybe its a profit making strategy, who knows. But I know that alot of private mailbox companies are cashing in on this mailbox business as well!

SultanOfSwing May 2nd 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10037455)

PO Boxes? They aren't that uncommon. Especially in rural areas where some people might not have a delivery service. I know that's how it is for my mate up in Canada.

Bob May 3rd 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10037676)
PO Boxes? They aren't that uncommon. Especially in rural areas where some people might not have a delivery service. I know that's how it is for my mate up in Canada.

Yeah, we had one when we lived in Maine, the mail just isn't delivered other than to the post office.

Also because to get mail delivered, you have to clear the road running up to the mail box and clear snow around it, which when you aren't on a main road in the winter can be a major pain in the arse, so easier to use a box.

As for big cities, living in a bit of a shitter of an area, you probably don't want nosy neighours or arse holes inching your mail.

Rete May 3rd 2012 8:02 pm

Believe there is one in South Dakota. I recall a friend using them when they went traveling the US in a motorhome for a year.