British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mail deriding the UK again! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mail-deriding-uk-again-333543/)

jjmb Oct 25th 2005 4:41 pm

Mail deriding the UK again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

See the Mail is busy putting down the UK again. If people keep on reading the country is going down the drain, all too soon, it will do. There is nothing new in the article, graduates have always sought new places to live and work. A lot of them return and the UK is the better for it. Unlike here, where moving from one state to another is traumatic enough for most Americans, (well in here in Texas, that seems to be true).

Must admit much as I miss the UK, I think I would prefer to live in Europe. My parents moved to France in 2002 and love it, despite my Dad not speaking a word of french and my Mum speaking some kind of mixture.

I think that is the difference over here, despite all the problems it currently has, it still believes it the best country in the world. No wonder, Britons are depressed and uneasy when it all that's put down their throats via the media is doom and gloom.

elfman Oct 25th 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Mail deriding the UK again!

Originally Posted by jjmb
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

See the Mail is busy putting down the UK again.

<sirens> Hypocrisy Alert! Hypocrisy Alert! <sirens>

Wasn't it only last week that the Daily Mail got upset because Gwyneth Paltrow said a few less than complementary things about Britain? I believe they even used a variant of the old "love it or leave it" line.
Tossers.

Manc Oct 25th 2005 4:56 pm

If people really want to know what it is like to live in the USA, then they should read the expat boards which are available. Yes, we live in the US because unfortunately that is where the jobs are in this industry-semi conductors. Are we better off, no. With one child in university and another 2 about to start, we are up to our eyes in debt. Just this last month, our employer told us that our health premiums will rise with fewer benefits. Give me council tax any time. At present we are paying $7000 a year for basically nothing. Education is OK but not to the standard the kids were receiving in Scotland. Food is expensive and substandard. The joke is that as we have been here for at least a year, our kids count as resident for college fees but in the UK they are now international students. To get resident fees in the UK we would have to be resident for 3 yrs despite being UK citizens, so we are stuck here until 2007.

- Joe, TX, USA
was that you?

Celtic_Angel Oct 25th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
was that you?

sounds like me actually :eek: glad to see somebody is telling it straight.

Britons who complain about the NHS do my head in...don't they know American's pay taxes too :rolleyes:

Manc Oct 25th 2005 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
sounds like me actually :eek: glad to see somebody is telling it straight.

Britons who complain about the NHS do my head in...don't they know American's pay taxes too :rolleyes:

There is no crime in any other country but the UK.

ladylisa Oct 25th 2005 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
There is no crime in any other country but the UK.

true, here in Wisconsin I am a law abiding citizen, but the minute my size 5 feet touch British soil I want to beat up old grannies and break into a few cars for sheer pleasure. :D

Thats it I have to confiscate my in laws Daily Mail now, they were bad enough on their last visit here with their constant..'Britain is rubbish and the US is superb in every way' they even brought a few copies of the Mail for us to read!! I swear the minute they left those papers were in the bin where they deserve to be.

elfman Oct 25th 2005 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I swear the minute they left those papers were in the bin where they deserve to be.

I wouldn't have waited till they left.

Lord Lionheart Oct 25th 2005 5:26 pm

I moved to the US in 1987. In the US there is no crime, murders, rapes traffic jams are non-existant and most people drive BMW's or Mercedes. Everyone I speak to is very polite, well mannered and highly intelectual. I was a dustman in the UK and was living in a tiny crime ridden, rat infested flat next to some express train railroads, here the same job is given the more fancy title of sanitary engineer, the equivalent US pay gets me a 6 bedroom beachfront house, the Mrs and I usually have Lobster and Champagne most nights for dinner. We take 4 or 5 holidays a year exccept they call um vakashuns here. In the UK it was always pissing down and the missus looked like Molly Sugden since coming here the missus got 40DD fake boobs and her ringpiece bleached for free thanks to the US healthcare here. My son could'nt spell with his crap education in the Uk but here we have already enrolled him in Harvard, even though he is only 2, he is going to be a doctor, lawyer or an ostrannot, astrynaught - go to the moon - and it's all coz I left the UK. My only complaint is that they talk funny, don't like footie and you can't get a decent curry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Celtic_Angel Oct 25th 2005 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
I moved to the US in 1987. In the US there is no crime, murders, rapes traffic jams are non-existant and most people drive BMW's or Mercedes. Everyone I speak to is very polite, well mannered and highly intelectual. I was a dustman in the UK and was living in a tiny crime ridden, rat infested flat next to some express train railroads, here the same job is given the more fancy title of sanitary engineer, the equivalent US pay gets me a 6 bedroom beachfront house, the Mrs and I usually have Lobster and Champagne most nights for dinner. We take 4 or 5 holidays a year exccept they call um vakashuns here. In the UK it was always pissing down and the missus looked like Molly Sugden since coming here the missus got 40DD fake boobs and her ringpiece bleached for free thanks to the US healthcare here. My son could'nt spell with his crap education in the Uk but here we have already enrolled him in Harvard, even though he is only 2, he is going to be a doctor, lawyer or an ostrannot, astrynaught - go to the moon - and it's all coz I left the UK. My only complaint is that they talk funny, don't like footie and you can't get a decent curry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pmsl!!! that's genius! :D did you make it up yourself?

Lord Lionheart Oct 25th 2005 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
pmsl!!! that's genius! :D did you make it up yourself?

Yes, and it's all because I left the UK, which cramped my creative talent

Dimsie Oct 25th 2005 6:03 pm

Grrrrr! I'd forgotten just how much I hated The Daily Mail !

I don't enjoy the constant flag-waving in the USA, but I have to admit, it's preferable to denigrating your own country in public as the Mail does. :(

Britain has so much to be proud of. I never fully realised it myself until I came here!

Chorlton Oct 25th 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Grrrrr! I'd forgotten just how much I hated The Daily Mail !

Its a tabloid, though - what do you expect? its like expecting Fox to give unbiased news. Controversy and drama sell papers and improve ratings.

BigDavyG Oct 25th 2005 6:09 pm

That has to be the most depressing piece of p*sh that I've ever read (and I'm not a guardian-reading mail basher either).

As for quotes like the following, do me a favour...

I left a £700 a month NHS position, for $90,000 in the US. I have no poll tax, no TV licence, no VAT. My children are being educated in a classroom with great teacher/pupil ratios. I can afford a nice home. I have access to quality healthcare of my choosing. If I could have this same standard of living in Surrey, I would pack up tomorrow and come home. Debs, Virginia, US
$90k a year for a nurse who earned £700 a month in the UK - I think that she must have started working in a "gentleman's club" after hours to make up the difference as well.
Also, if everyone in the UK had to pay £150 a month for healthcare the NHS might be able to bring itself up off its knees, and as for the no VAT unless the daft cow lives in Delaware doesn't she pay Sales Tax.
To be honest I'm sure surrey if glad to see the back of her. :mad:

Some things are correct though - unless you live in London opportunities in the UK are limited - try living in the north, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland where graduates are rounded up and herded into call centres - not so much fun.

BigDavyG Oct 25th 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Britain has so much to be proud of. I never fully realised it myself until I came here!

Spot on mate :)

Chorlton Oct 25th 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Spot on mate :)

My thoughts exactly (regularly) ;)