Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Magazines from the UK?

Magazines from the UK?

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Magazines from the UK?

My sister just visited and brought with her a few magazines/local papers from the UK for us to read.

Local papers are much the same as I remember but what has happened to the magazines, especially the ones for women??

Years ago (well more than 25 years) I used to love to read Woman and Womans Own. They always had interesting stories, good recipes, medical news, a little entertainment news and an amusing "problem page"

Not anymore!!! They are so tacky now. Almost on the lines of the National Enquirer (well maybe not quite!) M was still happy with his Motorcycle mags, but they really haven't changed much over the years.

The one I did like though was The Week. I have never heard of it before and have enjoyed reading a lot of the articles.

Any opinions on UK magazines and how they have changed??
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magazines from the UK?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
My sister just visited and brought with her a few magazines/local papers from the UK for us to read.

Local papers are much the same as I remember but what has happened to the magazines, especially the ones for women??

Years ago (well more than 25 years) I used to love to read Woman and Womans Own. They always had interesting stories, good recipes, medical news, a little entertainment news and an amusing "problem page"

Not anymore!!! They are so tacky now. Almost on the lines of the National Enquirer (well maybe not quite!) M was still happy with his Motorcycle mags, but they really haven't changed much over the years.

The one I did like though was The Week. I have never heard of it before and have enjoyed reading a lot of the articles.

Any opinions on UK magazines and how they have changed??
Years ago a relative bought us a subscription to the week and we've kept it up....I really enjoy reading it. It gives me enough info to keep me up to date but not too much crap
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:32 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Top Gear is still good, and we get match of the day for the kids when I visit or family come over. I miss the Radio times and TV times.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Years ago a relative bought us a subscription to the week and we've kept it up....I really enjoy reading it. It gives me enough info to keep me up to date but not too much crap
Good idea. May have to suggest it to my lovely son as a Xmas pressie
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One really excellent magazine I've discovered recently - The Oldie. It is like a cross between Private Eye, The Spectator and the New Statesman but for older people. Almost all the columnists and authors are old or really old, many of them journalists and other well known names from those other magazines. It gets at old people's interests and concerns but in a refreshingly unpatronising way. Nothing remotely like it in the US.

http://www.theoldie.co.uk/
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
One really excellent magazine I've discovered recently - The Oldie. It is like a cross between Private Eye, The Spectator and the New Statesman but for older people. Almost all the columnists and authors are old or really old, many of them journalists and other well known names from those other magazines. It gets at old people's interests and concerns but in a refreshingly unpatronising way. Nothing remotely like it in the US.

http://www.theoldie.co.uk/
Wow! I like that Good find
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, some of the ladies mags have become extremely tacky and low-brow. I used to love my Mum's 'She' magazine back in the day.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I agree, some of the ladies mags have become extremely tacky and low-brow. I used to love my Mum's 'She' magazine back in the day.
I used to read my mother's Woman's Weekly back in the 50s and 60s. Pop psychology from "The Man Who Sees", knitting patterns, cookery etc. For kids there was "The Robin Family". Used to cook and bake with my mother.. As long as she laid off the gripe water
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:18 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We always brought back Total Film and Empire for movie news and I like Good Food & Delicious for Food stuff. Can now get them zapped to Newstand on my ipad, tis witchcraft but tis awesome x
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We always brought back Total Film and Empire for movie news and I like Good Food & Delicious for Food stuff. Can now get them zapped to Newstand on my ipad, tis witchcraft but tis awesome x
I can get The Week on my kindle but being an old fart I would like the actual magazine...(I'm no witch just an old hag)
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:34 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I can get The Week on my kindle but being an old fart I would like the actual magazine...(I'm no witch just an old hag)
It has taken me a while to get used to 'electronic' books and magazines but I am hip to the new ways now. I even have an app where I can import recipes direct from websites into my own cookbook. Of course I have no time to cook as I am too busy on my ipad face booking, pinning, saving knitting and crochet patterns I will never make. The only thing that still eludes me is tweeting, I just don't get it
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...there is something magical about having the magazine in hand, especially knowing it was sitting in a newsagents recently... love the smell of a newsagents, all that choc, mags and wine, heaven!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I agree...there is something magical about having the magazine in hand, especially knowing it was sitting in a newsagents recently... love the smell of a newsagents, all that choc, mags and wine, heaven!
Yes, we still have the week delivered rather than on my iPad
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I decided years ago not to cross that Rubicon. Absolutely no mobile devices for me. No cell phone, no GPS, no "smart phone" (whatever the heck that is,) no iPod, no ear buds. OK.. I do have an iPad, but I only use it in my living room, within 12 feet of our wireless router (well, if we go to stay at a hotel I'll take it there too.)

If I travelled much for business, or drove on my own a lot, then I accept I'd have to have a cell phone etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Private Eye is still good, my husband subscribes to Four Four Two and whenever he goes over I get him to buy 25 Beautiful Homes which is really good value compared to US mags as you get a full 25 homes (derr) featured.

Those Woman's Own type mags seemed to be moving in the direction you describe when I left, full of increasingly 'tall tales'.