British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Madison, WI? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/madison-wi-548020/)

penguinsix Jul 9th 2008 10:52 pm

Re: Madison, WI?

The thing about regional airports around O'Hare such as Madison, Champaign, South Bend, etc is that their take offs and landings are often under control of O'Hare's ATC. I've been on the ground for 45 minutes in a place like Champaign waiting for our landing slot to open, eventhough we hadn't taken off for our 40 minute flight.

It's moments like that when you think "I should have just driven to O'Hare".

pejpm1 Jul 10th 2008 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 6555087)
In your dreams it's 2 hours. You couldn't do that in a McLaren F1 on a Sunday morning at 3am.

Jim.

Erm, maybe just over 2 hours then...may 2:10, 2:15...but I've done the drive several times. Why would I lie about it? :confused:

AndysWiffy Jul 10th 2008 1:52 am

Madison is a great town! You are right winters can be harsh... but the rest of the seasons are quite nice. I grew up in Green Bay (2 hours-ish north east). Madison is indeed a college town... and also the capital. You do get a lot of the young college life style near the University but on a whole it's a pretty family oriented place. If you're looking for a place to 'settle down' which is ultimately moved back to the midwest especially with kids... having the a respected state cost effective college could be good for you!

I'm USBounds wife and we did indeed consider exactly where you're going... housing in Middleton can be quite expensive depending on what you're looking for BUT... there are LOTS of great places around if you're looking for a quieter country setting try Mazomanie(dirt cheap houses) ... Waunakee, Sun Prairie, McFarland & Fitchburg are very reasonable nicer residential areas!

As far as things to do Madison has a great free zoo, beautiful botanical gardens, great lakes with little beaches. You're only about an 1.5 hours from Milwaukee along Lake Michigan for some great fishing & more fresh water beaches. And summerfest which just finished up...

Chicago's about 2.5 hours where you can find EVERYTHING you could possibly want to do.

And if you're looking for a quiet getaway.. head north past green bay.... approximately 4 hours from you head into door county for charming b&bs, vineyards & artist colonies the bay to the west the lake to the east.

SORRY I KNOW THIS IS DRAGGING ON I SHOULD HAVE EMAILED YOU :-o

Airports... Madison's airport... not fantastic pretty small really .. consider Milwaukee (MKE)... larger/more airlines & options or Chicago (ORD or MDW)... especially for flights to and from the UK directs pretty inexpensive... only about 8 hour flights!

Anyway... if you have any other questions let us know I have lots of friends up in the Madison area!

Tracym Jul 10th 2008 1:53 am

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6556509)
Erm, maybe just over 2 hours then...may 2:10, 2:15...but I've done the drive several times. Why would I lie about it? :confused:

It's 147 miles according to mapquest - 2 hours 44 minutes. That doesn't allow for traffic.

I drove to Madison in about 2 hours - and I am way northwest of Chicago.

I doubt you're lying, but you're either mistaken or have a heck of a lead foot.

AndysWiffy Jul 10th 2008 4:57 am

All of the O'Hare hate... flying in and out of there for 20 years... had a single delayed flight because of a tornado. I fly out of there a minimum of 4 times a year right now... with 2 small children by myself.... It's really NOT THAT BAD. As far as weather related delays in the winter... not a lot that can be done with the snow... if you fly in winter that's just the way it is!

jenbug Jul 10th 2008 4:59 am

Hi,

We recently moved to Racine WI and one of the things that surprised us was how long it takes to get into Chicago. Public transport isn't great (got to drive for 40 minutes to catch the metra which runs once an hour and stops at 9.30pm) so we've driven it a few times and it's always taken us around 3hrs with traffic and roadworks (there's always been roadworks). It's listed as taking 1.5 hours on Googlemaps.
We haven't been to Madison yet but have heard good things about it. I see that some of the posters say it takes 2 hours to drive to Chicago. Not to dispute this and it's quite a different route to ours but our experience has been that driving to Chicago and back in one day can be a bit much. We tend to book a nice hotel room v cheaply on Hotwire when we can and make a weekend of it instead. So that might be an option you want to consider when planning a visit to the Windy City...

cindyabs Jul 10th 2008 5:23 am

Originally Posted by AndysWiffy (Post 6556561)
Madison is a great town! You are right winters can be harsh... but the rest of the seasons are quite nice. I grew up in Green Bay (2 hours-ish north east). Madison is indeed a college town... and also the capital. You do get a lot of the young college life style near the University but on a whole it's a pretty family oriented place. If you're looking for a place to 'settle down' which is ultimately moved back to the midwest especially with kids... having the a respected state cost effective college could be good for you!

I'm USBounds wife and we did indeed consider exactly where you're going... housing in Middleton can be quite expensive depending on what you're looking for BUT... there are LOTS of great places around if you're looking for a quieter country setting try Mazomanie(dirt cheap houses) ... Waunakee, Sun Prairie, McFarland & Fitchburg are very reasonable nicer residential areas!

As far as things to do Madison has a great free zoo, beautiful botanical gardens, great lakes with little beaches. You're only about an 1.5 hours from Milwaukee along Lake Michigan for some great fishing & more fresh water beaches. And summerfest which just finished up...

Chicago's about 2.5 hours where you can find EVERYTHING you could possibly want to do.

And if you're looking for a quiet getaway.. head north past green bay.... approximately 4 hours from you head into door county for charming b&bs, vineyards & artist colonies the bay to the west the lake to the east.

SORRY I KNOW THIS IS DRAGGING ON I SHOULD HAVE EMAILED YOU :-o

Airports... Madison's airport... not fantastic pretty small really .. consider Milwaukee (MKE)... larger/more airlines & options or Chicago (ORD or MDW)... especially for flights to and from the UK directs pretty inexpensive... only about 8 hour flights!

Anyway... if you have any other questions let us know I have lots of friends up in the Madison area!

and you have a neat accent too!!! :thumbup:

Bob Jul 10th 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6554725)
Most but not all of the time Bob, it's cheaper to fly in and out of the big hubs and drive to where you need to go, unless it's a place Southwest et al flies. Like cheaper to fly into Logan and drive to Portland or Bangor then to fly into them.

That's what I was figuring, Portland JetPort is well expensive to fly into anyway, what with the dodgy short run way...shame, it's a really nice airport.

Boston to Portland ain't a bad drive, it's about 2.5 hours, but it's another two hours to the in-laws...$100 round trip after petrol and tolls these days, plus rental.

Bob Jul 10th 2008 10:04 am

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 6555838)
Hey Bob I have several friends at the place I believe you're looking at (Raven?) and they all love the area. A relatively large change from where they came from but ultimately better for family life, financial sanity and overall quality of life compared to city living.

we VERY nearly went that way ourselves and may yet make the move in the next few years depending on circumstance.

Of the five studios down there, you'd be on the mark :D

It's one place I'm talking to now, and I'd be really honest and say I'd be really gutted if it didn't pan out, there's only two places around here I'd want to stay for, 38 and R*NE and I'll be chatting with them in Aug/Sept, same for Harmonix, but tbh I'm not that pumped for that as I am for these other three studios.

NC Penguin Jul 10th 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 6554378)
google earth shows the majority of the city to be on an isthmus (love that word) between two lakes

incidentally Bob, a woman in my office raves about Madison, but I don't rreally know why

Ask why. Maybe she's an alumni.

Glen Ellyn Service Crew Jul 10th 2008 11:32 pm

I'm heading up there for a long weekend in October so will have a look around inbetween watching the Ohio State v Wisconsin collage football game.

Everyone I speak to though who has been there does say it is great.

Bob Jul 11th 2008 7:51 am

cheers :)

Though WI might be a stopper, I came in third choice for two positions in the big stable place down there, so a tad gutted, and the other place that was interested failed to secure the publishing deal right now so put hiring on hold, I'll hear back from in a couple months if that changes...still chasing up the other studios in the neighbourhood, but that first one would have been a nice gig to land.

Tracym Jul 11th 2008 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6561507)
cheers :)

Though WI might be a stopper, I came in third choice for two positions in the big stable place down there, so a tad gutted, and the other place that was interested failed to secure the publishing deal right now so put hiring on hold, I'll hear back from in a couple months if that changes...still chasing up the other studios in the neighbourhood, but that first one would have been a nice gig to land.

Well let's hope the other two applicants turn them down!

Hoping you get something good soon :)

nethead Jul 11th 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6561524)
Well let's hope the other two applicants turn them down!

Hoping you get something good soon :)

What Tracy said.

Elvisina Jul 11th 2008 5:59 pm

My husband and I just bought our first house half-way between Middleton and Madison (they merge into one). Middleton and Madison's westside have a much quieter, family-oriented/young professional feel to them compared to downtown which is home to a huge student population 8 months of the year. Middleton is safe, the schools are very good, there are quite a few decent places to eat here, people are polite to each other, etc etc. Think white middle-class America (something of a generalization I know). Some might love this, others might find it a bit dull... Overall, we've liked living in Madison for the past two years. It compares very well to other towns of a similar size that we've visited in the US. There's tons to do during the summer, neighbourhood festivals, farmers' market, sailing on the lakes. The winters are cold, but beautiful in their own way :) Chicago is an easy day-trip from Madison, depending on the traffic you hit the other end. I'm happy to answer more questions about the area if you have any.