Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Made It Over in One Piece

Made It Over in One Piece

Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Made It Over in One Piece

Well I finally made it over the 'pond' with my kids last week. We flew from Heathrow via Houston to Indianapolis. The flights were long and the kids did get bored. They entertained themselves by watching movies and going to the toilet every 10 minutes! On arriving at Houston I was helped by a porter type person who loaded all 6 suitcases that were all pretty much at maximum weight onto a trolley and took me to the desk to get them loaded onto our connecting flight. Once the bags disappeared he turned and looked at me and said 'I accept tips' I gave him $5 as that was the smallest bill I had and off he went. When we arrived in Indianapolis husband was there to help get the bags off the belt. I don't think I carried any at all during the entire day!
The last week has been a blur of unpacking and getting familiar with the area. I have registered son with local Elementary school and he starts tomorrow and can start riding the bus to school from Monday. We pick up our car (a Kia minivan) on Saturday morning and I need to get to the BMV as soon as possible to start the process to get a Indiana State driving licence. I have experienced the joys of Walmart and Target. We have met some really lovely people. We were waiting outside a Subway at the weekend and were trying to find the number of a taxi company that could take us back to our apartment when this elderly couple asked if they could take us anywhere! I doubt that would happen in the UK.
We may not currently have a couch and we may be borrowing loads of furniture from people but today we got our cable, home phone and internet sorted. I may be sat on the floor with my laptop but at least we are online again.
1 week down and it seems good so far. My next task, besides the driving licence thing, is sorting out a bank account for myself. Husband already has one with Chase so I am going to do the same.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made It Over in One Piece

glad it's going well
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you made it ok, try not to do too much rushing around all at once, I know some things won't wait, but give yourself time to breathe and relax occasionally.

Hope the kids settle ok and make some friends in school/neighborhood etc. It's a lot easier if the kids are happy

Welcome to this side of the pond
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
We have met some really lovely people. We were waiting outside a Subway at the weekend and were trying to find the number of a taxi company that could take us back to our apartment when this elderly couple asked if they could take us anywhere! I doubt that would happen in the UK.
I found it so relieving to leave all that British reserve behind.

Welcome and enjoy!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
I found it so relieving to leave all that British reserve behind.

Welcome and enjoy!

Congrats on getting over and starting to settle in, it sounds like you are all doing really well.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Yay!
Good to know you are all here. Kudos to you doing that by yourself.
Anyone at Newark Airport on Sat night would have pissed themselves seeing us with our 10 cases, 5 cabin cases, and a buggy
Think the man on customs felt sorry for us and waved us through after declaring Chocolate and Marmite!

Can't believe you were offered a lift, that's so nice, although I have to say Stranger Danger, I hope they didn't ask you if you wanted sweets or to see their puppies

Hope you continue to settle in ok
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The only hiccup I had when travelling was when my darling 4 year old daughter decided to see if she could fit her head through the space in the pull up handle on her little case she used for carry on. She got it through the gap then cried as she couldn't get it back through just as we were called to the desk to get our passports stamped! Luckily the guy dealing with us was lovely and said his kid had done a similar thing! I was so embarrassed!
I managed to yank her head back through again and she sat on the floor crying rubbing her ears whilst I answered the immigration guys questions! Son meanwhile wandered off saying 'Where is America then?!'
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

On arriving at Houston I was helped by a porter type person who loaded all 6 suitcases that were all pretty much at maximum weight onto a trolley and took me to the desk to get them loaded onto our connecting flight. Once the bags disappeared he turned and looked at me and said 'I accept tips' I gave him $5 as that was the smallest bill I had and off he went.
Probably a good thing you didn't have anything smaller than $5 - tipping is important in the US - and $5 for helping you through the airport with 6 suitcases and small kids sound like a pretty good deal to me ...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Probably a good thing you didn't have anything smaller than $5 - tipping is important in the US - and $5 for helping you through the airport with 6 suitcases and small kids sound like a pretty good deal to me ...
Yeah I think I may have short changed him. I mean hotel porters usually expect $1 a bag and for 6 oversize and over weight bags he should have gotten more from me.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think I may have short changed him. I mean hotel porters usually expect $1 a bag and for 6 oversize and over weight bags he should have gotten more from me.
You did short tip him, that's for sure. He performed at least a $10 service for you. I'd have given him $20.

Just remember, we Brits have a reputation for being mean tippers here in the US. It's best to be an exception to that rule!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Don't sweat it though, you'll know for next time. This is a tipping learning curve for us
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You did short tip him, that's for sure. He performed at least a $10 service for you. I'd have given him $20.

Just remember, we Brits have a reputation for being mean tippers here in the US. It's best to be an exception to that rule!
Yeah, but fresh off the plane, they've gotta give some leeway as not a lot of international flights are going to have people with low demoninations or any cash...

puddle hopper transfer airport would be a different matter though.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Something to bear in mind when we eventually get over. Take my hat off to you to have endured your flights with 2 young children and not ended up with grey hair!!! Having 3 myself, know how stressful air travel can be with them. Really interested to keep up to date with how you're doing and glad to see it's all going to plan. Take care Sarah and keep posting.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

You made it! Well done.
I hope school goes well for your son and that he makes friends soon. It's a big adventure, I hope you enjoy it
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brat1
Something to bear in mind when we eventually get over. Take my hat off to you to have endured your flights with 2 young children and not ended up with grey hair!!! Having 3 myself, know how stressful air travel can be with them. Really interested to keep up to date with how you're doing and glad to see it's all going to plan. Take care Sarah and keep posting.
That's 'cos I colored it before I left!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.