British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lump-sum 25% tax free UK pension distributions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lump-sum-25%25-tax-free-uk-pension-distributions-906690/)

Neillc37 Dec 9th 2017 12:39 pm

Lump-sum 25% tax free UK pension distributions

I have argued in the past that a US resident could take something other than 100% (in a year) of their UK pension and get the 25% tax free element extended to US taxation via the treaty and the fact the treaty says lump-sum definition should be taken from the IRC. Lump-sum in US law is 100% of the pension while it's defined differently in UK law.
Well now the professionals are using the same argument and coming to the same conclusion. That's nice because I am 53 and need only wait a few years to take advantage of it.

“Lump-Sum” Distributions From U.K. Pensions - International Tax Blog

MidAtlantic Dec 11th 2017 11:32 am

Re: Lump-sum 25% tax free UK pension distributions

Originally Posted by Neillc37 (Post 12396678)
I have argued in the past that a US resident could take something other than 100% (in a year) of their UK pension and get the 25% tax free element extended to US taxation via the treaty and the fact the treaty says lump-sum definition should be taken from the IRC. Lump-sum in US law is 100% of the pension while it's defined differently in UK law.
Well now the professionals are using the same argument and coming to the same conclusion. That's nice because I am 53 and need only wait a few years to take advantage of it.

“Lump-Sum” Distributions From U.K. Pensions - International Tax Blog

Interesting and helpful information. Thank you.

Floridablues Dec 11th 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this info. i'm still slightly confused being a dual national for the past 20 years. Moved here to Florida 15 years ago and have my small personnel pension on hold/frozen. I never mention this on any tax returns that i have filed here and not because i have tried to hide or deceive just did not think i needed to. Now is the time i'm considering cashing in the policy, so could there be any problems?

Steve_ Dec 16th 2017 10:43 pm

Has that ever actually been the issue though, would the pension provider/trustee in the UK let you do it?

Floridablues Dec 16th 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks Steve for your input,but i'm guessing your responding more to the original poster. After calling UK pension about my concerns it appears a third of my private 'on hold' pension will be withheld for taxes. My ongoing concern/worry is that in 15 years Stateside i've not mentioned this when filing taxes and not sure if i needed to.

Cook_County Dec 17th 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Floridablues (Post 12400884)
Thanks Steve for your input,but i'm guessing your responding more to the original poster. After calling UK pension about my concerns it appears a third of my private 'on hold' pension will be withheld for taxes. My ongoing concern/worry is that in 15 years Stateside i've not mentioned this when filing taxes and not sure if i needed to.

Although not a tax return, it has always been FBAR reportable and will have been Form 8938 reportable since 2011 if you meet the filing threshold.