Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The luck has finally run out

Wikiposts

The luck has finally run out

Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:52 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The luck has finally run out

Originally Posted by rincewind
The only money I have stashed away is for my tax payment due in April (I have to file quarterly) so I can't touch that.

Think I'll turn over the couch and see what coins are lurking within
That is SUCH a bad idea, considering where it came from
*inside joke*
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article in the Savannah Sunday News Exchange section a couple of weeks ago about how they had more jobs then applicants in IT. Perhaps go online and into the paper's archives?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry... wish I could do something to help. Man, life sure does suck sometimes.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way - think positive - you got this far and I'm sure that wasn't without its trials... hang in there, and I hope you find something else soon.

For tonight, have a few - I'll join you virtualy
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:50 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
There was an article in the Savannah Sunday News Exchange section a couple of weeks ago about how they had more jobs then applicants in IT. Perhaps go online and into the paper's archives?

Thanks for that info Cindy...
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:38 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Certainly you have worked there long enough for Unemployment haven't you?
That should hold you over a bit until you can get a new job. Try not to despair. Thins ALWAYS seem to happen for a reason. Who knows, this may be the BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU! That next job might be better than you can imagine right now at this moment. best of luck for you.

Debs
That seems to be how it works. Just feels like crap at the moment. I'd prefer to be locked up in a cubicle somewhere so who knows, this may be what I'll get and I'll look back and say, "yep, best thing that could happen."

Not a religious man but better things always come of bad moments like this. I just hope I haven't played all my cards yet.

Heres to all...
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:59 pm
Franklin

I'm stuck in a small town about an hour away from Savannah and three hours from Atlanta. Savannah is my best option but I did the rounds with all web companies there towards the end of last year. No-one is hiring.

No BA degree for me, my only notch is the seven years web experience working with large and small companies.

Time to send out that resume again.
Just some silly ideas plucked out of thin air to provoke you to blow your brain and widen your horizons as you seek new work ... take them with a pinch of salt ...

... if your field is oversubscribed with others looking for work ...

... if you have a green card you can sit the US post office exam and become a Federal employee and forget about not having a job (comes with good health benefits too). On information and belief since you can sit the exam ... you don't need a degree, just your wits (which you have plenty of), and maybe a prep course to ensure a high score. It's not a bad job and has lots going for it. "If I had my time again ...", etc.

What about joining the train system? Again, a pretty secure job. Long distance truck driving? Is there a shortage of long distance truck drivers anywhere in the USA? Hectic lifestyle and hard on a marriage for sure, but wireless technology makes it easier to stay in touch; not having a degree is not an issue.

How about a couple of seasons in Alaska on a trawler fishing - very dangerous job, but can earn a LOT of money; again, degree not a problem.

Flying small planes, there are few roads in Alaska ... maybe there is a strong demand for pilots to fly people around, etc. Downside, could be dangerous and would require a lot of expensive training. Would be a hell of an experience though.

Hope you find work soon buddy.

Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope I haven't played all my cards yet.

Heres to all...

Of course you haven't. Life just has a way of dishing it out sometimes. You will find something, but don't just send out resumes. Find a way to talk to people, somehow, in the companies where you might wish to work. You have to make personal contact somehow.

You will find something, somewhere, if you can find the energy to stick with it, which I know is hard, from personal experience.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
What about joining the train system? Again, a pretty secure job. Long distance truck driving? Is there a shortage of long distance truck drivers anywhere in the USA? Hectic lifestyle and hard on a marriage for sure, but wireless technology makes it easier to stay in touch; not having a degree is not an issue.
This is actually a bloody good one. The lifestyle of a cowboy and you can easily clear 80k/year.

If you don't fancy being away, FedEx delivery drivers earn a pretty good packet, too.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is actually a bloody good one. The lifestyle of a cowboy and you can easily clear 80k/year.

The money's all right, but I think if he had to listen to Country & Western on the radio all day he'd shoot himself.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I might add a bit on "how to sell a car that's (still) on finance" .... if it's worth more than the balance, you may be able to get someone to merely assume the loan and the payments. If not... then you may have to allow the car to be repossessed. Check the "blue book" value and see.

I wish you well. I know how hard it is to get a job, and while you have to take it one day at a time, each day can be hard!

Amy
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
Unfortunately that's all been spent on divorce lawyers and such.........quite shite don't U agree
Yes. I had the same thing happen to me: my life savings spent out from under me because legal fees were the ONE expenditure that one spouse could make from joint funds without the other spouse's approval. The lawyers always make sure that their fees are covered. Because I married young to an older (11+ years) man, he had separate property from before the marriage. He spent all the joint, then settled.

On the other hand, all it takes is one cruel or irresponsible person to hurt someone else -- and it can happen in many ways. All we can do is choose to be responsible and kind where we can in order to make a difference.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh mate, that's crap luck, sorry to hear it....though I'm sure something has to come along soon enough
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:26 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after finally getting situated in a job here in the good ol' US of A, I get a call from my employers this morning to say they are pulling the plug on their web development program.

:scared:

Nice timing. Just got the new car, balanced all my UK credit cards into one monthly payment and thought things were going well.

After all my monthly outgoings for March have been taken care of, I should have about 50c to live on until I get another job.

Fantastic.

Am I the only one that feels like the USA is shitting on them every chance it gets? Or am I in a minority?

Now I have to look around again for a job which is not easy in a small town.

Anyone know how the hell you sell a car that's on finance?

That sucks..... For what it's worth my opinion is you are either up or your down in the US. I think it's more extreme than the UK in that respect. You can go from making $100K to not know where next months rent is coming from or having the price of a packet of smokes............. I know because I've been in both situations in my time here. They say it builds character?! Chin up, don't get discouraged
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:49 pm
ImHere

Who was it said "3/4 of Americans are just 2 paychecks from homelessness"??

Its not far off the truth :scared:

Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:57 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

one of my friends just got a job driving a big brown turd (AKA a UPS delivery truck)

salary = $70,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.