Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The luck has finally run out

The luck has finally run out

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:16 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The luck has finally run out

Originally Posted by rincewind
Well, after finally getting situated in a job here in the good ol' US of A, I get a call from my employers this morning to say they are pulling the plug on their web development program.

:scared:

Nice timing. Just got the new car, balanced all my UK credit cards into one monthly payment and thought things were going well.

After all my monthly outgoings for March have been taken care of, I should have about 50c to live on until I get another job.

Fantastic.

Am I the only one that feels like the USA is shitting on them every chance it gets? Or am I in a minority?

Now I have to look around again for a job which is not easy in a small town.

Anyone know how the hell you sell a car that's on finance?

So sorry to hear about this. It must be an awful situation to be in - my thoughts are with you and I'm hoping you get something sorted soon.

All the best.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:19 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
*snip* Life in the U.S. is not as easy as it's painted. Yes, the economy's strong compared to many countries, but getting a decently-paid, full-time job just isn't that easy. *snip*
So true. I tell my friends and folks back in the UK many of whom have "stars in their eyes" that it is not a bed of roses here, that many folks are out of work, with loads of debt and worries about medical costs.

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:19 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Well, after finally getting situated in a job here in the good ol' US of A, I get a call from my employers this morning to say they are pulling the plug on their web development program.

:scared:

Nice timing. Just got the new car, balanced all my UK credit cards into one monthly payment and thought things were going well.

After all my monthly outgoings for March have been taken care of, I should have about 50c to live on until I get another job.

Fantastic.

Am I the only one that feels like the USA is shitting on them every chance it gets? Or am I in a minority?

Now I have to look around again for a job which is not easy in a small town.

Anyone know how the hell you sell a car that's on finance?

Isnt life sometimes a bitch.......sorry to hear you bad news, hope things work out for you pretty soon.
Donna
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing but sympathy I,m afraid hope it doesn't last too long.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:22 pm
Thumbing a ride.

Berta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really nice

BA degree, but if I had a Bachelors or Science, I would ask, that might work

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You mentioned a BA. Do you specifically mean a Bachelors of Arts or simply a Bachelor degree?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:27 pm
ImHere

Hi Im new here on this board but thought Id join in the melee...

first of all rincewind thats bad and sorry to here the situation you find yourself in.

Anyway, I am in IT and I'll see if I can cast any nets for you Rincewind regarding web design... Do you have Broadband at home and if would you be prepared to telework design work on a sub-contract basis?

I cant promise anything but I can ask around.

Last edited by ImHere; Feb 28th 2005 at 8:44 pm.

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Life can be a bummer...I'm rootin for ya!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:31 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Rincewind - SHIT - that really really sucks

before selling your car I strongly recomment looking at the terms

what you could sell it for is probably a couple (or more) thousand less than what you paid for it - and you would need to pay that cash when transferring title (i think)

Last edited by BritGuyTN; Feb 28th 2005 at 8:41 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:06 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Rincewind - SHIT - that really really sucks

before selling your car I strongly recomment looking at the terms

what you could sell it for is probably a couple (or more) thousand less than what you paid for it - and you would need to pay that cash when transferring title (i think)
Appreciate it. Selling that hunk of joy is an absolute last resort. Always good to know what my options are should the need arise.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Hi Im new here on this board but thought Id join in the melee...

first of all rincewind thats bad and sorry to here the situation you find yourself in.

Anyway, I am in IT and I'll see if I can cast any nets for you Rincewind regarding web design... Do you have Broadband at home and if would you be prepared to telework design work on a sub-contract basis?

I cant promise anything but I can ask around.
PM'd you. Appreciate it.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear that, hope your luck changes for the better soon.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up, old chap! Bulldog spirit and all that, eh what?

Re. the car finance, you'll probalby lose out badly if you were to sell it. There are hundreds of financial options -- you need to start planning fast before they all disappear. The more desperate your financial situation gets, the more the vultures gather. Plan now.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I was green with envy when you got your Mini, just sorry now to read your news, I wish you the very best job hunting, and that you manage to keep your muched loved car.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:23 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Chin up, old chap! Bulldog spirit and all that, eh what?

Re. the car finance, you'll probalby lose out badly if you were to sell it. There are hundreds of financial options -- you need to start planning fast before they all disappear. The more desperate your financial situation gets, the more the vultures gather. Plan now.
Thanks for that. So far my plan right now is:

1) Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

2) Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.

3) Mommy!!!!

4) Alcohol

5) Something better will come along, there was a reason for this job ending.

It takes a little while to execute, but I should be on step 5 by Friday

At least my sense of humor is intact. Regardless of how bad it is
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:51 pm
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm sad to hear about the loss of your job, Rincewind. Don't you have any money stashed away for "a rainy day"? This would be the time to pull it out, at least until you have some form of income.

You may have also considered this already but take care to protect your credit score. I don't remember how long you've been in the US but you need to make sure you don't default on any loans, etc.

NC Penguin
Unfortunately that's all been spent on divorce lawyers and such.........quite shite don't U agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.