Lowering Your Auto Insurance- My Way

Wikiposts

Lowering Your Auto Insurance- My Way

Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lowering Your Auto Insurance- My Way

Originally Posted by snowbunny
In the US if you're badly injured by someone with low limits and no assets, you're just screwed, plain and simple.
Thats why you have Uninsured/Underinsured Cover.

One of the things that did surprise me was that if you are in a vehicle and say your spouse is at fault then a US Auto policy will not cover any settlement against them.

I know of no way around this.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've been living in the US now for nearly four years and I've switched auto insurers once so far because my original insurer was ripping me off (this was duly confirmed when we received a refund from the company some months later when we had moved to the current insurer).

I mad a call to GEICO, my current auto insurer to inform them that I had over three years driving experience under my belt and that I was no longer to be considered an "inexperienced driver" (in NC at least).

The woman at GEICO confirmed that I had had my license for over three years but then went on to say that my current policy did not take into account me being an "inexperienced driver". I stopped her right there and quoted from a page on my GEICO policy that had identified me as such and that this may be taken into account.

At that point, the woman put me on hold. A couple of minutes later, she continued the conversation and quoted me an updated premium.

Currently, I'm paying $1400 p/six month period because of the "inexperienced driver" penalty. Removing that from the policy lowered my premium to a little over $750 p/six months. This is for two vehicles.

The moral of the tale is that it pays to be persistent and to read back information from the auto insurer's policy. The lady at GEICO, in my opinion, was trying to fob me off with some crap but after I quoted from my policy, there in black and white, she could no longer ignore that I was indeed being penalized for being an "inexperienced driver".

However, to keep GEICO on their toes, when renewal time comes around, I shall be asking my homeowners insurance provider to quote me auto insurance. It will be interesting to see if they offer an even lower premium than GEICO.

NC Penguin
I just looked at the responses to this post and I'm not at all surprised that GEICO, for the most part, is not the insurance company of choice. My ex was in the military and had always used GEICO because it was convenient when being sent all over the world (for GEICO read: Government Employees Insurance Company - originally designed, I believe, for the military. If I'm in error I'm sure someone will let me know). Anyway, when I became single I continued with GEICO because I had no reason not to. Then I had a fender-bender! I was disappointed at the way I was treated, the way my car was treated and at the increase in my insurance premiums. I started having problems with online payments that didn't reach them on time and other inconveniences. To cut a long story short, I ditched GEICO and went to another insurance company that actually treats me decently and seem to know what they're doing. I now pay $1080 every six months for two vehicles and am much happier.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've just got my insurance renewal after my little prang, it's gone up to $1200 for 6 months for a Dodge Ram We're with All State......Robbing Bastards.
Don't worry, you're in good hands
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:27 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

if you're in the area and eligible. nj manufacturers insurance... (http://www.njm.com/) will save you an absolute bundle. i was just ticked off i didnt find out about it for like 5 years in.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

We have Safeco, they're pretty reasonable. $450 for 2 cars but we don't drive anything flash.
Just out of interest, what liability limits do you guys select? Cos I just guess mine and I know it affects the final premium but I really haven't a clue what to choose.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lizzi
We have Safeco, they're pretty reasonable. $450 for 2 cars but we don't drive anything flash.
Just out of interest, what liability limits do you guys select? Cos I just guess mine and I know it affects the final premium but I really haven't a clue what to choose.
I would never recommend anything less than $500k. If you have a Umbrella, then it may make sense to have a lower primary depending on where it is best for the Umbrella to attach.

The average court bodily injury settlement is c$300k in CO, so thats nearly 2 people.

As far as I know all companies limit your UIM to the limit of your Liability.

If you have a few bob then at least have a number equivalent to that, Bankruptcy is a painful way out. And in some circumstances it does not prevent garnishment of future earnings.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
Why? Please explain your reasons.
Even though their original web quote was cheap once I actually spoke to someone and they did a full quote and after much sharp intakes of breath they were far more expensive than anyone else that quoted us for similar coverage. They also point blank rejected our home insurance as we live in Florida.

And they spend to much on crap adverts.

As I said IMHO. Others might like them.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Even though their original web quote was cheap once I actually spoke to someone and they did a full quote and after much sharp intakes of breath they were far more expensive than anyone else that quoted us for similar coverage. They also point blank rejected our home insurance as we live in Florida.

And they spend to much on crap adverts.

As I said IMHO. Others might like them.
So you've never even been insured by them. I was hoping for some input about their handling of claims.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I My ex was in the military and had always used GEICO because it was convenient when being sent all over the world (for GEICO read: Government Employees Insurance Company - originally designed, I believe, for the military. ...
it was originally for anyone working for the government, postal workers, teachers etc..not just military...
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Geico are the only company I've been able to get a halfway decent quote from in NJ. All State was double the Geico quote, and all other companies I tried were slightly higher. Still, that's probably just NJ which was always notoriously bad for insurance although much better than it was. My first insurance was $3500 for the year (not with Geico) - there were very few companies dealing with NJ auto insurance at that time, and some of the decent ones just refused me - although at the time I was trying to get it without an NJ licence, and while I was here on the visa waiver (setting up for when my work visa came through 2 months later).
NJ Manufacturers are supposed to be the best in NJ, we have been with them since coming here 10 yrs ago.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
NJ Manufacturers are supposed to be the best in NJ, we have been with them since coming here 10 yrs ago.
It all depends on what you mean best.

No Insurer looks to be the best for all market segments, they look to be the 'best' in their chosen segment(s).
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've just renewed my insurance with NJM. I got a quote online from Geico which was more than double NJM's price, I was told it was because I have less than 5 years credit rating over here. WTF has credit rating got to do with car insurance.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I've just renewed my insurance with NJM. I got a quote online from Geico which was more than double NJM's price, I was told it was because I have less than 5 years credit rating over here. WTF has credit rating got to do with car insurance.

NJM are supposed to be very good at handling claims, settling very quickly and fairly. We have been with them since we came here 10 yrs ago.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete

Lots - it affects everything!!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Lowering Your Auto Insurance- My Way

Check out weather your insurance company give you a car safety discount too. That can make a difference.

The only thing is, a newer car might not always be better. My old '98 Malibu had about a 10% discount and yet my newer '05 Honda Accord doesn't get any!

According to State Farm, it has a worse record when it comes to injury claims. I can't quite figure that out as it has front AND side airbags unlike the Malibu! However, an '05 Toyota Camry does get the discount

And yes, the credit rating does seem to affect the cost. I'm paying $582 per 6 months in SC "fully comp"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.