Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Low income UK vs USA

Low income UK vs USA

Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low income UK vs USA

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where I live the waiting list for housing/ housing assistance is closed - in other words the list is so long that the housing authority stopped accepting new applications until they have worked through the list. I think it waa closed around 2008-2009, and the rate at which they can help people is simply a function of the funds available - the housing authority has $xmillion to disburse each year, which pays for a limited number of families to be helped. So barring the availability of additional funds the list only reduces when someone's income rises and they lose housing assistance, or they move out of the area.
I almost added that, it's closed in many areas.

I saw an article about a family in the UK where the father was an international student with a large family, the wife was unemployed, and they were turning down subsidized houses because there weren't enough closets or something ridiculous like that.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

They do have priorities for the subsidized housing list, I believe those with refugee status are one group who is given priority.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
I have Medicaid and it does not mean I have access to healthcare. I don't know about other areas but around here it's impossible to find a physician who accepts it. The volunteer clinics do not want to see you if you have Medicaid. The options are basically the emergency room or a total crap shoot if the volunteer clinic will make an exception. They you are berated for not using a primary care doctor and taking advantage of the volunteer clinic. (Who is funded by the hospital to reduce ER Visits.)

I don't know about the UK but from internet friends it seems like there is a lot more help there.

Housing assistance here is nearly impossible to receive the wait lists are years long in most areas.

The state is important too in some areas workers have more protection from losing their jobs. If you are in a right to work state forget it.

Can you just visit for an extended period of time?
What state are you in? Do you live in a rural or urban area?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
the list only reduces when someone's income rises and they lose housing assistance, or they move out of the area.
... or die waiting ...