Reload this Page >

lots of questions

lots of questions

Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:37 am
Just Joined

m4rk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lots of questions

Hi all,
I'm new here, and have already browsed the forums to look for some answers, but I still have some questions left...
If this has been discussed before (probably has), It would be great if somebody can refer me to the links of the threads.

I am moving on a L-1 visa to Texas on the 15th of October, and am trying to be prepared as much as possible.

First thing is to look for an apartment: I have done lots of research on Rent.com, appartment.com Realtor/Homefair.com to decide where I start looking (can anybody recommend good (safe) areas in Eastern Dallas??). Apartmentratings.com has been a great help already..

My first question is, can I negotiate my monthly rent when viewing apartments? It seems that the people I have spoken to pay much lower rates than advertised on the internet! What is the best way to negotiate? Will they try to rip me off, being a foreigner? What is a reasonable rent.. I don't want to spend more than 900 $ a month.. and can I just walk into their offices or do I have to make appointments?

I am trying to decide what to bring, and have read threads about VCRs, TV's, Stereo's etc.. (thanks!) but what about PC's? is it just a switch and a new plug? or do I need anything else?

and finally (for now ) I heard that in some states you need to do a drivers test in order to get a US driverslicence. (for how long) can I use my European licence? I also have an international driverslicence, but this looks no more than a simple translation to me..

Thanks for all your help!!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 1:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lots of questions

Originally posted by m4rk0
...... I heard that in some states you need to do a drivers test in order to get a US driverslicence. (for how long) can I use my European licence? I also have an international driverslicence, but this looks no more than a simple translation to me. .....
Firstly your international licence is just a translation, and, if you have a European licence that already has English on it, it is entirely unnecessary in the US.

The licencing requirements vary by state, and as you say you are from "Europe" I am assuming that you are not from the UK (???), in which case if you have a "left hand drive" licence you may not need to take a road test. It is us Brits, with right hand drive licences, that, from what I have read, in most states, with the notable exception of New Jersey, are made to jump through the hoop of taking a road test. Big whoop!

Some states will also make all new licencees (including interstate movers within the US) do some form of "written" (multichoice) test, and in some cases do a compulsory education class.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:50 am
Just Joined

m4rk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks!

Thanks for your help Pulaski!
and yes...you caught me out.. I'm afraid I'm cheating..
I'm not really British, but am currently living and working in Dublin since over 6 years.. I was hoping that this would make me a close neighbour.
But I have a dutch driverslicence...which is more convenient in this case I suppose...
I hope I won't be banned now..
but thanks,
Marko