Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lots of help required

Lots of help required

Old Mar 30th 2018, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Feisty1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lots of help required

I live in my own place in uk. I own rental properties with usa boyfriend in tallahassee. I have an esta and like to visit usa November to December April to June august to October each year. Is this seen as too often will I get refused entry. Is my rental properties in usa seen as working I will be filing taxes at end of year. I have money in usa and uk bank also so do not have any other work snd will not work in usa only have rental income. Should I also have different visa.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of help required

You may want to check what the IRS have to say about this too...
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Long term or short term?

Have you looked at the K1 visa?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 4:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Long term or short term?

Have you looked at the K1 visa?
Why? She doesn't indicate that there is any discussions of marriage between her and her US bf.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Feisty1
I live in my own place in uk. I own rental properties with usa boyfriend in tallahassee. I have an esta and like to visit usa November to December April to June august to October each year. Is this seen as too often will I get refused entry. Is my rental properties in usa seen as working I will be filing taxes at end of year. I have money in usa and uk bank also so do not have any other work snd will not work in usa only have rental income. Should I also have different visa.
What else?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 4:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feisty1
Should I also have different visa.

Are you actually entering the US on a visa, or using the VWP? If you do have a visa, which one?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What else?
B visa?

Granted she is in partnership with someone she considers a boyfriend and it is hoped that he doesn't pull a fast one with her property investment being that she is foreign and without a visa to live in the US so it is assumed (as you did) that marriage is in the cards for them.

But no, I would not assume that a K-1 visa was in her future.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 30th 2018 at 5:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
B visa?
She is already seemingly spending 6 months of the year here, how would that help?

Might be an interesting and somewhat short interview with the current travel pattern.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:54 pm
Concierge

She is already seemingly spending 6 months of the year here, how would that help?

Might be an interesting and somewhat short interview with the current travel pattern.
It is not 6 months in one clip which means she can still use the VWP for her trips.

I take it that she is thinking that living on the income from the investment property means you need a visa that would allow her to "work" since she fears that USCIS might construe that as working.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
It is not 6 months in one clip which means she can still use the VWP for her trips.

I take it that she is thinking that living on the income from the investment property means you need a visa that would allow her to "work" since she fears that USCIS might construe that as working.
We do not know if this is passive or active income.

Most unlikely to get a B no matter what, no doubt at some point the VWP trips will come under scrutiny.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 8:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have an esta and like to visit usa November to December April to June august to October each year. Is this seen as too often will I get refused entry.
No one can answer this question. You will be permitted entry until you aren't, and at that point you won't be using the VWP again.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 5:56 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have something to contribute
I live in Tallahassee, have been for 18 years.

We have a couple of friends, he's UK/Egyptian, She's Egyptian.
they have a holiday home here in Tallahassee of all places.
Their main residence is Cairo Egypt, plus other homes in the UK (Rented out)

They visit Tallahassee maybe twice a year for at the most 3 months at a time.
They have to be careful that they do not exceed the 6 months in a 12 month period.
This was pointed out to them upon arrival at Atlanta. They were just under the 12 months but they still let them in.
They have been visiting backwards and forwards for going on 5 years.

All the same it's a little nervy every time they travel, we keep waiting to hear that they have been denied. But so far so good.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 6:32 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
I actually have something to contribute
I live in Tallahassee, have been for 18 years.

We have a couple of friends, he's UK/Egyptian, She's Egyptian.
they have a holiday home here in Tallahassee of all places.
Their main residence is Cairo Egypt, plus other homes in the UK (Rented out)

They visit Tallahassee maybe twice a year for at the most 3 months at a time.
They have to be careful that they do not exceed the 6 months in a 12 month period.
This was pointed out to them upon arrival at Atlanta. They were just under the 12 months but they still let them in.
They have been visiting backwards and forwards for going on 5 years.

All the same it's a little nervy every time they travel, we keep waiting to hear that they have been denied. But so far so good.
IRS implications?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
IRS implications?
For the OP, maybe.
I'm sure any income would be taxable.
Difficult to file a tax return without a SS number. Unless she applied for a tax id number for the purpouses of filing.

My friends here in town, none. They don't rent or work here.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:57 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
For the OP, maybe.
I'm sure any income would be taxable.
Difficult to file a tax return without a SS number. Unless she applied for a tax id number for the purpouses of filing.

My friends here in town, none. They don't rent or work here.
I wasn't thinking of the OP when I posed the question, but your friends. It is the time they spend here, not whether they work or rent here, that raises the concern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.