Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost your accent?

Lost your accent?

Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Lost your accent?

Anybody been here long enough to have lost part or all of their British accent?

My friend had an uncle who moved out to Arkansas for a few years, and when he came back to the U.K., he was a total southern American, but within 1 year of moving back to the U.K., his English accent came right back. Weird!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost your accent?

Originally posted by Pimpbot

My friend had an uncle who moved out to Arkansas for a few years, and when he came back to the U.K., he was a total southern American, but within 1 year of moving back to the U.K., his English accent came right back. Weird!
Guilty, sorry to say. It's 20 years since I was a true Brit (i.e., resident), and I've picked up a bit of an American accent, though I steer well clear of American words (y'all, aluminum). It's more of a subtle intonation than a flat-out American accent.

I read once that you're more likely to pick up an accent if you're happy where you are. Probably codswallop, but sounds interesting.

If I ever say "Tomayto", though, please shoot me.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Been here 15 years, and, no have not lost my accent, why would I want to, it is unique.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:10 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
If I ever say "Tomayto", though, please shoot me.
I cant eat tomatoes and have learnt quickly to say tomayto or they just ignore you and keep it on, needs must I am afraid but I refuse to say aluminum

Patrick
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:17 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that the accent you have at the age of fourteen is the accent you keep. It may change slightly with certain different nuances, but overall the basic accent stays. My eight year old has completely lost her British accent now, after only 2 years here. In fact it probably went within 6 months of being here. If she tries to copy our accent now she sounds as bad as everyone else in this country.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

My own accent hasn't changed one bit, but I do adapt the way I speak, on the phone for instance, in order to make myself understood more easily. Got a bit of a common accent coming from sauf London.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:30 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

yeah... I sound dead posh now! I don't think I've lost it, but if I have to speak to certain people I do tone it down a bit!

I can do the awfully, awfully british accent, but I sound like Hyacinth Bucket if I do... seeing as she is a LOT older than me I don't do that unless someone is getting shirty!

Swapping "Oy" for "Hey" annoys me!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:59 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Al-i-min-e-um

or

a-lum-in-um
Noooo, it's "Al-u-min-ium!"
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:09 pm
JeanDupont

Ah loo min um - and toe may toe - or no-one understands what I want.

Main thing I have trouble with when swopping from one country to the other is petrol/gas. And gas/propane - and remembering to change the stress from the first to the last part of propane.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pimpbot

I had quite a mixed-up childhood. My father is from Portsmouth, my mother is from Germany and I more or less grew up in New York City, but I also spent time in Europe. With all the accents I was exposed to, I trained myself, as best as I could, to adopt a midwestern U.S. accent. Johnny Carson was my role model. My wife says she can still detect a bit of an accent in my voice when I get tired or angry.

BTW, I once read that John Mahoney, who plays Frasier's dad on TV, lost his accent on purpose in order to play "American" roles. He was born in Blackpool, Lancs.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sparkster is an unknown quantity at this point

Although a good question really to ask today though is what exactly is a British accent? Just like America it depends where you go. For example my Niece was born in Leister and it sends shivers down my spine whenever I hear her speak, it is so different to my Yorkshire accent.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:28 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by edwords

I had quite a mixed-up childhood. My father is from Portsmouth, my mother is from Germany and I more or less grew up in New York City, but I also spent time in Europe. With all the accents I was exposed to, I trained myself, as best as I could, to adopt a midwestern U.S. accent. Johnny Carson was my role model. My wife says she can still detect a bit of an accent in my voice when I get tired or angry.

BTW, I once read that John Mahoney, who plays Frasier's dad on TV, lost his accent on purpose in order to play "American" roles. He was born in Blackpool, Lancs.

Apparantly his first job after leaving school was to sell pies at Man City football ground, if he can do it then why can't the bastards who stole my car radio outside there in 1997 do it.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

clare009 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in the UK for a little under four years and have managed to retain the roots of my South African accent but everyone back home says I sound English. The funny thing is that now I'm picking up 'American' from my Fiance.

But I agree with those of you who tend to emphasise certain parts of your accent depending on who you're talking to. I definitely mimmick other people's accents when I talk to them.

Clare
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sparkster is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been very good at that, I can only speak like me and thats as far as it goes.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I still (unfortunately) have my Coventry accent, although Coventrians tell me that they think that I sound as if I'm from London.... . My husband is from Bristol but doesn't have the 'Brizzle' accent at all, he sounds like a BBC newsreader!

We moved to Singapore when our kids were aged 10 and 6 respectively. Our eldest went to an International school and picked up an American accent, despite the fact that there were over 50 different nationalities at the school and very few American kids as most of them went to the Singapore American School. At age 16 it was a bit too late for her to go into the US school system (she'd just taken her IGCSE's) so she went to boarding school in England for "A" levels. She also now sounds very English and she sounds as if she could be a BBC newsreader!

Our son went to a British school in Singapore and although we've now been in the States for almost 31/2 years he hasn't acquired an American (New Joisey!) accent (thank goodness!) and now at age 15 all the girls at his school love to hear him speak in class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.