Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost wallet... action to take?

Wikiposts

Lost wallet... action to take?

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost wallet... action to take?

No not mine, my husband's.

He didn't have much in it, main things were his driver license (with SSN) and one credit card (and a few cute pictures of the kidlet... *weep*).

Here's what I did:

* called credit card company and blocked credit card
* called Transunion and had an 'initial 90 day fraud alert' put on his account so nobody can get credit with his SSN. They will inform Equifax and Experian
* called the police station to set up an appointment to file a report
* got paperwork ready for new driver license

His hunting and fishing licenses apparently don't matter too much as far as identity theft goes, I guess.

I have the feeling that there's more I (yes I, he's hopeless in situations like this ) should do, that I'm overlooking something.

I actually worry too about kidlet's pictures being in their with our address. Yes, I'm paranoid when it comes to the little one.

Any thoughts and comments?

Elaine

Last edited by HunterGreen; Dec 2nd 2005 at 2:20 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost wallet... action to take?

Oh yuck... I meant to put this in the USA forum. Rete, Meauxna or Rene would you please move it there? Gah. Sorry about this.

Last edited by HunterGreen; Dec 2nd 2005 at 1:40 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:23 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Oh yuck... I meant to put this in the USA forum. Rete, Meauxna or Rene would you please move it there? Gah. Sorry about this.

You're addicted to the marriage-based forum Elaine - force of habit eh?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Lost wallet... action to take?

Don't wait for the Police to arrange an appointment to file a report. Get your husband to go into your local Police station and file a report in person. Quick action is imperative.

I've read blurb here and there about Police reports having to be filed within 24 hours of the occurence of the incident for purposes of insurance claims, etc.

Also, I wouldn't rely on one of the big three US credit bureau to inform the other two. Who knows how long it might be before they're informed? Better that you call Experian and Equifax yourself to report the potential identity theft. At least that's what I'd do if I were in your husband's position.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Don't wait for the Police to arrange an appointment to file a report. Get your husband to go into your local Police station and file a report in person. Quick action is imperative.

I've read blurb here and there about Police reports having to be filed within 24 hours of the occurence of the incident for purposes of insurance claims, etc.

Also, I wouldn't rely on one of the big three US credit bureau to inform the other two. Who knows how long it might be before they're informed? Better that you call Experian and Equifax yourself to report the potential identity theft. At least that's what I'd do if I were in your husband's position.

I'd agree with that last point - they are Bureaucratic monsters, wouldnt really rely on them for anything!!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
No not mine, my husband's.

He didn't have much in it, main things were his driver license (with SSN) and one credit card (and a few cute pictures of the kidlet... *weep*).

Here's what I did:

* called credit card company and blocked credit card
* called Transunion and had an 'initial 90 day fraud alert' put on his account so nobody can get credit with his SSN. They will inform Equifax and Experian
* called the police station to set up an appointment to file a report
* got paperwork ready for new driver license

His hunting and fishing licenses apparently don't matter too much as far as identity theft goes, I guess.

I have the feeling that there's more I (yes I, he's hopeless in situations like this ) should do, that I'm overlooking something.

I actually worry too about kidlet's pictures being in their with our address. Yes, I'm paranoid when it comes to the little one.

Any thoughts and comments?

Elaine
SSN on DL - how bloody stupid is that!! Glad they dont do it in Texas!!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celsius
It's actually for later today so that's good then.

Who knows how long it might be before they're informed? Better that you call Experian and Equifax yourself to report the potential identity theft.
Good point. Who knows how long it takes them. Calling the other two now.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Big D
SSN on DL - how bloody stupid is that!! Glad they dont do it in Texas!!
They don't do it here anymore, either (Ohio). They used to automatically put it on though, I guess up until a few years ago when he last had it renewed.

Elaine
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:33 am
Scott

I've had my identity stolen, and it wasn't because someone go my
wallet. My eBay account was taken over and my American Express card
was used by someone other than me. Luckily, both eBay and American
Express caught this early enough so I didn't loose anything. I changed
my eBay password, and American Express cancelld my account and opened a
new one for me. However, Identity Theft is unavoidable, no matter how
well you try to protect yourself. And if your total identiy is taken
over, very bad things can happen to you. I now have an Identity Theft
protection plan that monitors my credit 24/7 and notifies me if there
is any change to my credit (ex. opening of new credit accounts, changes
in address, new home mortgages, new car loans, etc.). I'm notified
immediately if any changes take place. I can then check to make sure
the changes were legitimate. If not, the company assigns an ex-CIA or
ex-FBI agent to me as an investigator. The company will restore my
credit and identity so I don't have to spend hundreds of hours and
thousands of dollars doing it myself. The plan is very reasonable, only
$12.95 per month. It's the best money I've ever spend for peace of
mind.

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I think your best course of action is to divorce the careless twit and marry someone who can look after his own stuff
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott
I've had my identity stolen, and it wasn't because someone go my
wallet. My eBay account was taken over and my American Express card
was used by someone other than me. Luckily, both eBay and American
Express caught this early enough so I didn't loose anything. I changed
my eBay password, and American Express cancelld my account and opened a
new one for me. However, Identity Theft is unavoidable, no matter how
well you try to protect yourself. And if your total identiy is taken
over, very bad things can happen to you. I now have an Identity Theft
protection plan that monitors my credit 24/7 and notifies me if there
is any change to my credit (ex. opening of new credit accounts, changes
in address, new home mortgages, new car loans, etc.). I'm notified
immediately if any changes take place. I can then check to make sure
the changes were legitimate. If not, the company assigns an ex-CIA or
ex-FBI agent to me as an investigator. The company will restore my
credit and identity so I don't have to spend hundreds of hours and
thousands of dollars doing it myself. The plan is very reasonable, only
$12.95 per month. It's the best money I've ever spend for peace of
mind.
How did this poster get themselves deleted? Gawd, I miss all the goings on around here!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

er ...... find it?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Philgr
I think your best course of action is to divorce the careless twit and marry someone who can look after his own stuff
He actually has a few good traits, too. Just a few but heck, I have low self esteem and was afraid I'd always be alone if I didn't marry him.

Elaine
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kevntrace
er ...... find it?
D'oh.... all of this and then there's a solution we hadn't thought of yet. Thanks!

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scott
The plan is very reasonable, only $12.95 per month. It's the best money I've ever spend for peace of mind.
What I know is that if you were an actual victim of identity theft they will monitor your credit for 7 years. For free. I believe it's actually law.
I have a friend who was an ID theft victim and you're right, it's no picnic.

Elaine
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Err....goodluck withit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.