British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lost/Stolen Passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lost-stolen-passport-762991/)

blaqwidow Jun 26th 2012 10:26 pm

Lost/Stolen Passport

I have reported my passport lost with the consulate in New York and had the passport cancelled.

I always carried my old expired passport which I use for ID, I have no need to travel, but I would like to get my passport sorted. I am prepared to go to Washington DC to get my passport, but I do not have my birth certificate, I just want to know would they accept my old expired passport as a form of ID.

RICH Jun 26th 2012 10:32 pm

Re: Lost/Stolen Passport

Originally Posted by blaqwidow (Post 10140912)
I have reported my passport lost with the consulate in New York and had the passport cancelled.

I always carried my old expired passport which I use for ID, I have no need to travel, but I would like to get my passport sorted. I am prepared to go to Washington DC to get my passport, but I do not have my birth certificate, I just want to know would they accept my old expired passport as a form of ID.

They don't make the passports in Washington anymore - It is done back in UK.

sir_eccles Jun 26th 2012 11:17 pm

You can order a copy of your birth certificate on the GRO website.

blaqwidow Jun 26th 2012 11:33 pm

This is going to be my 4th adult passport and I need to retain my old expired one for ID purposes.

Even back in the UK I never had to show them my birth certificate, as I always showed them my old passport(s) which they always return.

RICH Jun 26th 2012 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by blaqwidow (Post 10140997)
This is going to be my 4th adult passport and I need to retain my old expired one for ID purposes.

Even back in the UK I never had to show them my birth certificate, as I always showed them my old passport(s) which they always return.

If "replacement" is the same procedure as "'renewal", simply fill the form, send the old pp/new photos and payment.

You do not need a birth cert to get a renewal, as you send the existing pp, but since it is lost in your case, the previous one should work, I imagine. You send it to Washington UPS i think, it goes to UK, and the new one comes back to you UPS (with the old one too).

If you were needing to travel, I guess going to Washington to get some kind of emergency travel doc would be an option.

sir_eccles Jun 27th 2012 12:17 am

When you say "for ID purposes" do you mean to say you don't have any other form of photo ID such as:

Greencard
Drivers License
Non-driver state ID
etc

ian-mstm Jun 27th 2012 2:05 am

If the passport you have is expired more than one year, you have to start all over again. It doesn't matter that this'll be your 4th adult passport.

Please... stop living in the past.

Ian

blaqwidow Jun 27th 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10141007)
If "replacement" is the same procedure as "'renewal", simply fill the form, send the old pp/new photos and payment.

You do not need a birth cert to get a renewal, as you send the existing pp, but since it is lost in your case, the previous one should work, I imagine. You send it to Washington UPS i think, it goes to UK, and the new one comes back to you UPS (with the old one too).

If you were needing to travel, I guess going to Washington to get some kind of emergency travel doc would be an option.

If thats the case, I can easily do that, I plan a trip to Washington, so while I am there, I can just go down to the embassy..

Thanks

blaqwidow Jun 27th 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10141036)
When you say "for ID purposes" do you mean to say you don't have any other form of photo ID such as:

Greencard
Drivers License
Non-driver state ID
etc

Yes, I have already lost my current passport, so I don't want to lose anymore important documents, using my old expired passport as ID, has got me by with no problem, so i will continue to use it. When I reported my passport lost, I showed my old passport at the British Consulate and they found my details very quickly. I do have my green card, I have not changed my drivers license as yet, at the moment I do not need to drive.

blaqwidow Jun 27th 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10141132)
If the passport you have is expired more than one year, you have to start all over again. It doesn't matter that this'll be your 4th adult passport.

Please... stop living in the past.

Ian

The lost passport expires in 2015, and yes I will lose three years, but at least I will gain back 9 months.

I did not say that it was expired. I said that I use an old expired passport for ID purposes

ian-mstm Jun 27th 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by blaqwidow (Post 10142616)
I said that I use an old expired passport for ID purposes

It's the old passport I'm talking about. If it's been expired for over 1 year (I'm guessing it expired in 2005 since the one you lost expires in 2015) and you need a new passport, you must apply for the new passport as though it was a first-time passport.

Ian

tht Jun 29th 2012 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by blaqwidow (Post 10142605)
Yes, I have already lost my current passport, so I don't want to lose anymore important documents, using my old expired passport as ID, has got me by with no problem, so i will continue to use it. When I reported my passport lost, I showed my old passport at the British Consulate and they found my details very quickly. I do have my green card, I have not changed my drivers license as yet, at the moment I do not need to drive.

If you don't need to drive, go to the DMV with the SSC, Green card and a utility bill and you will get a NYS IDENTIFICATION CARD (assuming you live in NYC/NY) for about $12, is much more useful and easier to carry than a passport....

tht