Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost Passport & H1B visa

Lost Passport & H1B visa

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

GillyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost Passport & H1B visa

I am currently working in the US, and due to a recent apartment move seemed to have lost my valid UK passport which holds my H1B visa stamp...I do still have the I-94 card though. If anyone has any advice on the easiest way to obtain a new copy with visa, it would be much appreciated. I need to return back to the UK in December for a wedding, and am scared to go back incase they will not allow me back in the country!

thanks
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Passport & H1B visa

Originally Posted by GillyP
I am currently working in the US, and due to a recent apartment move seemed to have lost my valid UK passport which holds my H1B visa stamp...I do still have the I-94 card though. If anyone has any advice on the easiest way to obtain a new copy with visa, it would be much appreciated. I need to return back to the UK in December for a wedding, and am scared to go back incase they will not allow me back in the country!

thanks
First get yourself a new passport from Washington.
As soon as you've gotten it make yourself an infopass appointment at your local district BCIS office.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
First get yourself a new passport from Washington.
As soon as you've gotten it make yourself an infopass appointment at your local district BCIS office.
Do I need to wait until I go back to the UK to get a new visa stamp, or can I get it here before I return home..does it help that I have the I-94 card?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Do I need to wait until I go back to the UK to get a new visa stamp, or can I get it here before I return home..does it help that I have the I-94 card?
that's what you need the infopass appt for.............to find out how they want you to go about it
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:09 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Hey Gilly, this happened to me last year. As Manc said, first step is to get yourself a new passport from Washington.

This URL will help:

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/o...5&Other_ID=205

Complete Form C1, the lost passport form (LS01) and make sure you send in the necessary documents, birth certificate, 2 photos (1 certified), payment etc.

Based on my own experience, I was only able to get the visa replaced in the UK, which meant making an appointment for an inteview with the US Embassy in London. A real pain in the a**e. It took around 2 weeks for them to stamp my new passport.

Good luck!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csf
Hey Gilly, this happened to me last year. As Manc said, first step is to get yourself a new passport from Washington.

This URL will help:

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/o...5&Other_ID=205

Complete Form C1, the lost passport form (LS01) and make sure you send in the necessary documents, birth certificate, 2 photos (1 certified), payment etc.

Based on my own experience, I was only able to get the visa replaced in the UK, which meant making an appointment for an inteview with the US Embassy in London. A real pain in the a**e. It took around 2 weeks for them to stamp my new passport.

Good luck!
Thank you...can I make an appointment in advance, or do I have to go there and wait...I live in scotland..what is the typical process at the Embassy, and do I need to take anything with me?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:33 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Thank you...can I make an appointment in advance, or do I have to go there and wait...I live in scotland..what is the typical process at the Embassy, and do I need to take anything with me?
Yes, you need to contact the embassy far in advance to make an appointment. The interview slots fill pretty quickly.

The US Embassy website - Applying for a Visa will give you all the info. you need. You will need to complete form DS-156 and bring along your passport along the other necessary documents. Once you make an appointment, the Embassy will mail you documentation containing info. on all the documents you need to bring. When you call to book the interview, you can confirm all of this

Here is the visa application section of the US Embassy web site.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/happ.htm
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csf
Yes, you need to contact the embassy far in advance to make an appointment. The interview slots fill pretty quickly.

The US Embassy website - Applying for a Visa will give you all the info. you need. You will need to complete form DS-156 and bring along your passport along the other necessary documents. Once you make an appointment, the Embassy will mail you documentation containing info. on all the documents you need to bring. When you call to book the interview, you can confirm all of this

Here is the visa application section of the US Embassy web site.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/happ.htm
Can I not got a new visa through my local INS office in Atlanta?? I have been told this my an English girl that I am working with......
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:02 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Can I not got a new visa through my local INS office in Atlanta?? I have been told this my an English girl that I am working with......
Gilly, possibly. Manc mentioned making an appointment at your local district BCIS office. This is probably your best bet before doing anything else. You could also try posting on the visa forum for further help. Some of those guys have a little more knowledge than I do in this area
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Lost Passport & H1B visa

Originally Posted by csf
Gilly, possibly. Manc mentioned making an appointment at your local district BCIS office. This is probably your best bet before doing anything else. You could also try posting on the visa forum for further help. Some of those guys have a little more knowledge than I do in this area
Cheers, I will try that first of all....hope it is hiding somewhere in the back of my car
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:50 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Cheers, I will try that first of all....hope it is hiding somewhere in the back of my car
Yeah, I remember that feeling...not nice! I hope you find it