Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost passport, flew to USA anyway!

Lost passport, flew to USA anyway!

Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Lost passport, flew to USA anyway!

I just wanted to share our mini-nightmare with everyone!!

My sons and I (all british citizens with green cards) flew to the UK for Christmas. When we got to Heathrow to fly back to the US, i discovered my youngest sons passport wasnt in my bag >.< Major freakout! We spoke with Delta, who asked if we had Green Cards. LUCKILY i had them separately, and with the approval of Immigration, we were all able to fly with absolutely no problems, AND no problem when we arrived in the US either! I couldnt believe how quick and friendly they all were about it, or that someone could fly without a passport, solely on possession of a GC!

Thanks Delta, thanks US Homeland Security And thankfully, i found the passport in the bottom of a case when i got home!

maddy
xx
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost passport, flew to USA anyway!

Originally Posted by Madelina

My sons and I (all british citizens with green cards) flew to the UK for Christmas. When we got to Heathrow to fly back to the US, i discovered my youngest sons passport wasnt in my bag >.< Major freakout! We spoke with Delta, who asked if we had Green Cards. LUCKILY i had them separately, and with the approval of Immigration, we were all able to fly with absolutely no problems, AND no problem when we arrived in the US either! I couldnt believe how quick and friendly they all were about it, or that someone could fly without a passport, solely on possession of a GC!

Thanks Delta, thanks US Homeland Security And thankfully, i found the passport in the bottom of a case when i got home!

maddy
xx
Useful info!

I've noticed that CBP are more interested in my GC than my passport when I enter now, and didn't even look at my passport when I entered by land from Canada last year. I got an entry stamp in my passport each time I've entered by air, but then CBP usually stamp my wife's US passport when she enters by air too. Can't remember if they even scanned my passport now - they definitely scan the GC.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We spoke with Delta, who asked if we had Green Cards. LUCKILY i had them separately, and with the approval of Immigration, we were all able to fly with absolutely no problems, AND no problem when we arrived in the US either!
If you have a GC, you aren't required to have a passport to enter the US. The trick was getting on the plane without the passport... and you definitely had good luck on that one! Glad to hear it all worked out.

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

GC is all a LPR needs to enter the US...so not much of a drama.

Without the passport, makes it harder to remember the dates you were out of the country and back, for when you need them applying for citizenship, so have that jotted down somewhere.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

maddy
xx
thanks for posting and glad you got home ok! I will take your advice and keep my passport and GC separate - they are currently in the same holder as im in UK but your post has really helped!!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

According to the IATA database, accessed through Delta, there is a passport exemption for GC holders.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

Airlines and even CBP might prefer to see a passport, but under the law it is not strictly required.