Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

lost passport

lost passport

Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

pete molotov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lost passport

im a permanent resident in the us but me & my wife are moving back to the uk due to money problems. my parents are helping us out buying our tickets to get back but i now cant find my passport.

we packed up all our belongings moved from memphis to north georgia to stay with my wifes parents for a few weeks before we left. we think the passport must be here in my wifes parents house but still havnt found it.

ive seen that i need to inform the local police about the lost passport & fill out the neccasary forms, does any one know how long & how much it will cost to get a new passport.

we were only hoping to be here for a couple of weeks but im sure we will be here alot longer if i cant find my passport.

any help is very much appreciated, now im off to keep searching.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost passport

Have you read the sticky at the top of the US forum index page? Also try searching the US forums for lost passport...I'm pretty sure something was posted about emergency PPs.

The UK Embassy will provide UK citizens with emergency PPs in these sort of circumstances. I'm not sure if your nearest Consulate can help you but I think you have to attend in person to obtain the emergency PP.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 10th 2010 at 5:39 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:20 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get a police report to say it is lost/stolen, and then complete form LS01, and then send it in with renewal form C1 , 2 photos etc... and then it gets processed with everyone else's renewals, which at the moment seems to be around 5 weeks from receiving.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...olen-passports
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

DDexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burn1911
You need to get a police report to say it is lost/stolen, and then complete form LS01, and then send it in with renewal form C1 , 2 photos etc... and then it gets processed with everyone else's renewals, which at the moment seems to be around 5 weeks from receiving.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...olen-passports
Is receiving from the time your card is processed?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a temporary passport then they will do that within a day at a consulate if you visit in person. But you would have to look at the sites listed in the previous post to see if that's an option to you, seeing as you think your passport is in your possession, just packed up.

My mum had her passport stolen when she was here, we phoned the nearest consulate and the lady fell over herself to get my mum a temporary (one use) passport, she even offered to move her lunch hour so that we could get an easier train to the city. I think it cost about $100 and I don't know whether it would have cancelled her original passport, had she found it instead of had it stolen. If you don't have time to get a new passport from the Embassy in DC I'd ring your local consulate and see what they suggest.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

i dont think my passport is packed up as i normally have it on me, its fallen out of my pocket somewhere, we hoped it was here but have turned the house upside down to find it as we were hoping to be leaving in 2 weeks, oviously now we will have to stay longer.

i tried calling the local consulate in atlanta but they just send you back to the ukinusa website.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

It says they issue emergency passports but you have to call to see if you qualify:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-u...ut-our-office/

and the qualifications seem to be:
• The lost or stolen passport must not have expired;
• You intend to travel within the next five working days;
• You can demonstrate a genuine reason for wanting to travel urgently.

It's a shame they don't seem to offer expedited processing in DC. (Or maybe they do, but I couldn't find it.)

I hope you can get a passport somehow.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: lost passport

Originally Posted by pete molotov
i dont think my passport is packed up as i normally have it on me, its fallen out of my pocket somewhere, we hoped it was here but have turned the house upside down to find it as we were hoping to be leaving in 2 weeks, oviously now we will have to stay longer.

i tried calling the local consulate in atlanta but they just send you back to the ukinusa website.
You need to select the emergency or consular services option (not the passports option as that will give you routine passport renewal info). An emergency passport can be issued within an hour, you'll need an appointment, and it costs in the region of $150.

Dean
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British Consul
You need to select the emergency or consular services option (not the passports option as that will give you routine passport renewal info). An emergency passport can be issued within an hour, you'll need an appointment, and it costs in the region of $150.

Dean
is it easy to get?

atlanta is the nearest consular to me right now, which is probably 2-3 hours away.

my parents are the ones who have to send me money for this & are buying mine & my wifes tickets & the longer we are here in america the more my parents have to pay to help us out so i really need the quickest & cheapest option.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got your wife's visa for the UK sorted, too? I think you have to do that by post now, or you could sort that on the same trip to Atlanta.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have you got your wife's visa for the UK sorted, too? I think you have to do that by post now, or you could sort that on the same trip to Atlanta.
It's got to be done in the post these days, they don't do it in person anymore.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

no my wife is just coming over on her passport for now so we can get settled then she is coming back to do her visa
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

no my wife is just coming over on her passport for now so we can get settled then she is coming back to do her visa
You understand that she might be denied entry?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

You understand that she might be denied entry?
is there any particular reason that she might be denied entry?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

is there any particular reason that she might be denied entry?
Yup....your married, looking to set up home and she doesn't have a visa, it might look that she'll just come and stay and you'll have to relay that that won't happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.