Reload this Page >

Lost Naturalization Certificate

Lost Naturalization Certificate

Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

za584 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost Naturalization Certificate

Hello,

I have lost naturalization certificate but after getting my US passport. I have three or four copies but cant find the original one and my US password will get expire in few years.

Do i need a certificate again to renew my passport?
Do i need Naturalization Certificate again for any purpose (i have a copy)?

I would appreciate your experience.

Thank you
-Za
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Naturalization Certificate

Do far as I know, once you have your passport you can frame it as wall art, or throw darts at it; it has no further purpose with respect to matters of citizenship and passports.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do far as I know, once you have your passport you can frame it as wall art, or throw darts at it; it has no further purpose with respect to matters of citizenship and passports.

Believe you mean naturalization certificate.

You do not have to show your naturalization certificate to renew your US Passport.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back, the State Bar of Missouri required that Naturalized U.S. Citizen present their naturalization certificate and would not accept a U.S.Passport as proof of citizenship.

This is their rule: Proof of Citizenship or Prescribed Alien Status
Rule 8.03(a)(4) requires all applicants must be either a citizen or national of the United States, an immigrant lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien otherwise authorized to work lawfully in the United States. If you are a U.S. citizen, provide a CERTIFIED birth certificate, a CERTIFIED Consular Report of Birth, or a copy of your Certificate of Citizenship. Our office will retain these documents and they will not be returned to you. You should obtain a CERTIFIED birth certificate from the appropriate government office in the state where you were born. You can visit www.vitalrec.com to locate the appropriate office. If you are a naturalized citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S., provide a legible copy of both sides of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) document evidencing your current status - we will use it to verify your status through USCIS. We cannot accept a copy of your passport as proof of citizenship because USCIS will not verify status on the basis of a passport. You will need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. NOTE: An Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization is considered part of the educational purpose of a non-resident student visa. It is not a work visa and is not considered by the Board of Law Examiners as satisfying the requirement of Rule 8.03(a)(4).

I don't think this is legal.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's ridiculous.

Hasn't it always been understood by everyone here that a US Passport is proof of citizenship? And a US passport holder cannot be denied entry to the US etc etc ?
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:58 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A few years back, the State Bar of Missouri required that Naturalized U.S. Citizen present their naturalization certificate and would not accept a U.S.Passport as proof of citizenship.

Rule 8.03(a)(4) requires all applicants must be either a citizen or national of the United States, an immigrant lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien otherwise authorized to work lawfully in the United States. If you are a U.S. citizen, provide a CERTIFIED birth certificate, a CERTIFIED Consular Report of Birth, or a copy of your Certificate of Citizenship. Our office will retain these documents and they will not be returned to you. You should obtain a CERTIFIED birth certificate from the appropriate government office in the state where you were born. You can visit www.vitalrec.com to locate the appropriate office. If you are a naturalized citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S., provide a legible copy of both sides of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) document evidencing your current status - we will use it to verify your status through USCIS. We cannot accept a copy of your passport as proof of citizenship because USCIS will not verify status on the basis of a passport. You will need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. NOTE: An Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization is considered part of the educational purpose of a non-resident student visa. It is not a work visa and is not considered by the Board of Law Examiners as satisfying the requirement of Rule 8.03(a)(4).

It's not even correct. I used my passport as proof of my citizenship when I filed the I-130 for my husband, and USCIS accepted it without comment.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:12 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by za584
Hello,

I have lost naturalization certificate but after getting my US passport. I have three or four copies but cant find the original one and my US password will get expire in few years.

-Za
Ha!! My wife has lost her UK certificate. She needs the place, date of issue and the number to renew her UK passport. Even though they saw it on the first passport application.

85 quid for a replacement!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What if you lose your passport?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
What if you lose your passport?
Same as if anyone else lost theirs, once you're "in the system" the naturalization certificate has no necessarily useful purpose.

Edit: per post below, I may be wrong, because it looks like it might be useful whenever a USC is asked for their birth certificate, to prove their credentials as a USC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2013 at 12:49 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Rule 8.03(a)(4) requires all applicants must be either a citizen or national of the United States, an immigrant lawfully admitted for permanent residence, ...... It is not a work visa and is not considered by the Board of Law Examiners as satisfying the requirement of Rule 8.03(a)(4).

So they're using the nat' certificate as a proxy for a US birth certificate, which I suppose has some intuitive logic, but I can't help but wonder if they honestly think that USCIS has been handing out US passports to non-citizens?