Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost my Dad yesterday - Tell me about bereavement flights.

Lost my Dad yesterday - Tell me about bereavement flights.

Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost my Dad yesterday - Tell me about bereavement flights.

Well, my Dad passed at about 4am yesterday. We went quietly in his sleep aged 93, after having some heath issues, but mostly suffering from dementia for the last few years of his life.

Due to family issues, I don't even know if I'll fly back for the funeral, but having not seen anything on bereavement flights in the forum recently, I wonder if anyone else has looked into it, what it cost, how much notice is required, etc. If it matters, I'll be flying from Atlanta to London (Family's in Milton Keynes), most likely alone, and, of course, I'll need to rent a car.

TIA.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost my Dad yesterday - Tell me about bereavement flights.

Afraid that I can’t help as I just booked a flight when in a similar situation, but wanted to express my condolences on your loss.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:38 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You just tell an airline the circumstances and depending on the airline they may prioritise you, give you a discount, [BA certainly used to do these] or actually charge you extra...
Old Jan 28th 2018, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

aquatone is an unknown quantity at this point

When both my Dad and Mum passed away in 2004 and 2014 respectively, United refunded me a 50% discount on the fare to my credit card. I called them directly to book the flight and just had to send them a copy of the death certificate after the funeral(s) to prove it was a legitimate reason. Not sure if it was because I am in United Plus but it was pretty decent.

My condolences also.

Chris
Old Jan 28th 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
When both my Dad and Mum passed away in 2004 and 2014 respectively, United refunded me a 50% discount on the fare to my credit card. I called them directly to book the flight and just had to send them a copy of the death certificate after the funeral(s) to prove it was a legitimate reason. Not sure if it was because I am in United Plus but it was pretty decent.

My condolences also.

Chris
So sorry for your loss. I just wanted to second that United were fantastic with my friend recently whose husband was unable to travel due to being in hospital, they changed his flight twice without cost (their offer). I would definitely recommend speaking to them, I hope you can get back.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences of course.

The better news is, last minute (within 24-48 hour flights, two emergency trips) flights only cost about 2000 GBP. Including spending money the whole two trips cost approx. 3000 GBP, I was in the UK approx. for two weeks in total. Dad died in 2017..
Old Jan 28th 2018, 11:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your father. This list may or may not be helpful.

Bereavement Flights List - All Major Airlines

If you're flying out of ATL then Delta and Virgin might be worth calling.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 11:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Call Virgin first. They are the only one that offers the lowest published fare for a bereavement flight. The others give a discount off the fare available at the time of booking. The lowest published fare is usually lower than 50% off the last minute fare.

Sorry for your loss.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:47 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

When my mum passed in 2012 I found that no airline really offered them anymore or if they did the cheapest fares were still lower. I flew that night on BA from IAD to London.

What really really annoyed me was that as I didn’t know the funeral date I booked 10 days. Unfortunately that ended up being the date of the funeral. BA would not budge one bit on the change fees. Went to supervisor etc. no joy. Be wary in setting the return date.

My condolences.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:10 am
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your loss, Guindalf.

I have no recent experience, but when my father died, which was almost 12 years ago, we were able to get tickets at a decent price without playing the bereavement card, and as your father has also died at the time of year when ticket prices are usually at their lowest, you may also find that a regular ticket is available at a decent price.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:42 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltore View Post
When my mum passed in 2012 I found that no airline really offered them anymore or if they did the cheapest fares were still lower. I flew that night on BA from IAD to London.

What really really annoyed me was that as I didn’t know the funeral date I booked 10 days. Unfortunately that ended up being the date of the funeral. BA would not budge one bit on the change fees. Went to supervisor etc. no joy. Be wary in setting the return date.

My condolences.
Sorry to hear that, I lost my dad last year and Voltore has a point to consider, the time between death and burial can start to increase, if for example the local priests are either on vacation or at some conference. We had to use my fly back date as a bit of pressure to get things rolling. Less of an issue if a church service is not being used of course. (I cant help on flights, as I flew out when he was dying, (un)luckily, I got there the day before the night he died)
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say sorry for your loss, I hope you get home Ok.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry for your loss.

Just a practical note if you are trying to set a return date - the wait time for funerals seems to be very long at the moment. Of course, I don't know what part of the country you are going to, nor whether it will be a burial or cremation. But it is not unusual for funerals to be at least 3 weeks from the date of passing around here at the moment.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:05 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Very sorry for your loss.

Just a practical note if you are trying to set a return date - the wait time for funerals seems to be very long at the moment. Of course, I don't know what part of the country you are going to, nor whether it will be a burial or cremation. But it is not unusual for funerals to be at least 3 weeks from the date of passing around here at the moment.
Book a flexible ticket that allows for date changes.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.