British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lost and expired british child passport- now I need a new one HELP! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lost-expired-british-child-passport-now-i-need-new-one-help-725040/)

tdmyturn Jul 15th 2011 7:29 pm

Lost and expired british child passport- now I need a new one HELP!

Please help or at least point me to a real person...My husband came here on his passport when he was 16. His mother married a US army Sargent and "completed forms in Britain stating his intent to adopt"- Britain issued a Death Certificate of his sire name and reissued a birth certificate with his new step fathers name".....he was never adopted! he has kept a current green card all these years but now we want to travel and possibly move to Belize and I cannot get a straight answer as to how we file for a new one for him- I cannot supply his old number, we dont know it, and its to far expired anyways...which form are we to fill out and where do we file at?

avanutria Jul 15th 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Lost and expired british child passport- now I need a new one HELP!

Hello. I don't understand your question. You want to file for "a new one" - a new what? Passport? (For which country?) Birth certificate? Green card?

JAJ Jul 15th 2011 10:06 pm

All very unclear, but:

1. Britain doesn't "reissue" birth certificates on a whim, especially if there is no adoption;

2. What name is US immigration paperwork in? Birth name or something else?

3. Not a smart idea to contemplate abandoning the green card without first becoming a US citizen.

md95065 Jul 15th 2011 11:51 pm

Start again at the beginning.

Where was your husband born?

What nationality (or nationalities) did he have at birth?

What nationality (or nationalities) does he have now?

What was his status when he entered the US?

What is his status in the US now?

... and, finally, what exactly is it that you want to know?

tdmyturn Jul 17th 2011 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tdmyturn (Post 9497844)
Please help or at least point me to a real person...My husband came here on his passport when he was 16. His mother married a US army Sargent and "completed forms in Britain stating his intent to adopt"- Britain issued a Death Certificate of his sire name and reissued a birth certificate with his new step fathers name".....he was never adopted! he has kept a current green card all these years but now we want to travel and possibly move to Belize and I cannot get a straight answer as to how we file for a new one for him- I cannot supply his old number, we dont know it, and its to far expired anyways...which form are we to fill out and where do we file at?

I do not know if I am answering this right with "quick reply" so hope this works:

ok..from the beginning...my husband was born in Oxford England in 1977, when he was 10 or 11 his mother completed paperwork stating that her new man/husband was a US Serviceman and wanted to adopt and take the family to the states. My husband "Darren" was issued a Childs Brittish passport with the new last name, a death certificate for his sire name of 'hunt' and a new Brittish birth Certificate with his American Step dads last name "Cook".a couple yrs later he was restationed back in England and they all returned. When he was 16 and in Kiddie Jail ( his Uncle was teaching him the art of stealing cars..) His mother returned to the states without him (ha or even telling him),he later was given airfare by his grandmother to also come back to the states.

I'm guessing that the relationship was strained, and even more so when his step father died, his mother left with a truck driver and all the death benfits -leaving him to finish raising his brothers....so he had very little guidence back then and only kept current on his green card- not his passport. his brothers did become citizens of the US when they returned to the US, Darren wouldnt give up on his heritage and I'm guessing wanted to go back!

So here we sit 17 years later and no way for him to leave the states, or even vacation, or even run up to Canada :( -When I inquired with the embassy I was directed to Go Directly to England, England told me to work satateside! and neither could tell me what form to compete!!!

lansbury Jul 17th 2011 2:08 pm

What is stopping you completing the application for a new passport, and where is asks for previous passport details put not known. Are you missing some of the supporting documents needed for the application. If so which ones?

fatbrit Jul 17th 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9498161)
All very unclear, but:
3. Not a smart idea to contemplate abandoning the green card without first becoming a US citizen.

Agree -- but also no a good idea to go rocking the apple cart when there are small suggestions of nasty skeletons hiding in there. OP should run her spouse's US naturalization through an attorney with all the facts before proceeding.

md95065 Jul 17th 2011 6:25 pm

As far as I can see, all that your husband needs to do is to apply for his first adult passport - I think that this will effectively be treated as a "first time" application (although he should of course declare the fact that he had a passport as a child and that it is now lost).

Since he appears to have been born in the UK before 1983 I think that all he needs is his long form birth certificate (which you can get a copy of from the UK if he no longer has it) and a suitable person to countersign his application.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s-first-timers

The only place where you might have problems is if the name that he is currently using (and which is on whatever id he uses for the application) is different from the one on the birth certificate - then you might have to figure out how to do a statutory declaration to tie up that loose end.

JAJ Jul 17th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9501157)
Since he appears to have been born in the UK before 1983 I think that all he needs is his long form birth certificate (which you can get a copy of from the UK if he no longer has it) and a suitable person to countersign his application.

If he was formally adopted then he should have papers proving this. If not, then he should get new copies:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ents/index.htm
(for England and Wales).

It may also be possible for him to get a copy of the original birth certificate.

If the name on US immigration paperwork is different from either birth or adoption name, then the first question is how on earth did someone persuade a US consular official to issue an immigrant visa in a completely different name?

Which all leads one to wonder if the US immigration status is really in order. And whether the suggested criminal activity in the past may give grounds for deportation.

In other words, it's not just a matter of getting a British passport. The whole US immigration situation needs to be looked at with a competent US immigration attorney. He should not leave the United States without resolving this.

md95065 Jul 17th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9501170)
In other words, it's not just a matter of getting a British passport. The whole US immigration situation needs to be looked at with a competent US immigration attorney. He should not leave the United States without resolving this.

Absolutely - but resolving the US status issues (if any) is a separate issue from getting a UK passport so there is no reason for him to delay getting started with the passport application which, since it will be treated as a "new passport" application (and may require additional documentation depending on just how complicated the family history really is), could take quite a few moths to process.