Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida
That link didnt work for me.. Said nothing found.. lol
It's working OK for me...try this one.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:32 am
Just Joined

MikeAndVaida is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's working OK for me...try this one.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085
Thank you, i'm having a look now.. not sure if i'm going to get the answers i'm looking for with the situation i'm in though.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:33 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will be allowed to enter the UK using only a GC...a GC will mean nothing to UK Immigration Officers. You will need to produce proof of UK citizenship.
Correct, hence my comment about them doing some investigation at the POE. They can't keep Paul out, but if he doesn't have a passport they will need to confirm his UK citz. Having the Green Card is a good way of establishing his identity, and the search of the Home Office database shouldn't take too long.

I flew back with a friend of mine from Berlin a few years back, and she had lost her passport. It took just 15 minutes at immigration to get her into the country at Heathrow. It may be different now, but it's a common occurrence, and the immigration folks see it all the time.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Correct, hence my comment about them doing some investigation at the POE. They can't keep Paul out, but if he doesn't have a passport they will need to confirm his UK citz. Having the Green Card is a good way of establishing his identity, and the search of the Home Office database shouldn't take too long.

I flew back with a friend of mine from Berlin a few years back, and she had lost her passport. It took just 15 minutes at immigration to get her into the country at Heathrow. It may be different now, but it's a common occurrence, and the immigration folks see it all the time.
Hm that is interesting to know, The query i have though is when dpearting the US, the check in staff etc are used to seeing everyone have a passport for the International flight, Would they refuse me to travel internationally using the green card? When i have departed before i have handed them my passport and they always ask to see my green card aswell..

That's the only thing i'm thinking..
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:57 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hm that is interesting to know, The query i have though is when dpearting the US, the check in staff etc are used to seeing everyone have a passport for the International flight, Would they refuse me to travel internationally using the green card? When i have departed before i have handed them my passport and they always ask to see my green card aswell..

That's the only thing i'm thinking..
OK, just going over my experience in my memory of when I flew with Helen again. Check in did take longer than usual, as they queried the loss of the passport. They did ask quite a few questions, such as where she was born, where she lived, who she worked for, and other stuff, but I don't think that either of us felt that she would not be able to travel. You might want to call the carrier you plan to fly with, and ask what their policies are.

BTW, we were flying BA out of Berlin.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK, just going over my experience in my memory of when I flew with Helen again. Check in did take longer than usual, as they queried the loss of the passport. They did ask quite a few questions, such as where she was born, where she lived, who she worked for, and other stuff, but I don't think that either of us felt that she would not be able to travel. You might want to call the carrier you plan to fly with, and ask what their policies are.

BTW, we were flying BA out of Berlin.
There was someone in a similar position who posted in one of the US forums before Christmas...can't remember the exact details. He was departing from the US...I think he had an expired UK PP...he contacted the airline who said he would probably be allowed to fly to the UK. Can't remember for sure if he posted after he returned to the UK...I think he did and said he was detained for a while at Heathrow.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:15 am
Shocked of Redmond

There was someone in a similar position who posted in one of the US forums before Christmas...can't remember the exact details. He was departing from the US...I think he had an expired UK PP...he contacted the airline who said he would probably be allowed to fly to the UK. Can't remember for sure if he posted after he returned to the UK...I think he did and said he was detained for a while at Heathrow.
Also, I'm pretty certain Helen had to sign a form at check in saying that she would re-imburse BA for any costs of returning her to Berlin if she was refused entry at Heathrow: they seemed to be going through a process that they were pretty familiar with. If I remember correctly, they even made a provisional hold on her credit card for something like UKL250. But like I said, there is probably a lot of carrier-specific stuff going on.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:24 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I'm pretty certain Helen had to sign a form at check in saying that she would re-imburse BA for any costs of returning her to Berlin if she was refused entry at Heathrow: they seemed to be going through a process that they were pretty familiar with. If I remember correctly, they even made a provisional hold on her credit card for something like UKL250. But like I said, there is probably a lot of carrier-specific stuff going on.
Sounds reasonable, though I've no idea whether things would be the same from the USA rather than the EU.

If I were the OP, I'd find a carrier that allows on-line check in for flights to the UK. That way he'd print a boarding pass without ever seeing a check in agent, use a DL to get airside and Robert would be his proverbial Uncle.

As you say, he'd have to make his case to UKBA in London, but that's (relatively) trivial as their ops manual has specific procedures for folks without a passport claiming UK citizenship.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Sounds reasonable, though I've no idea whether things would be the same from the USA rather than the EU.

If I were the OP, I'd find a carrier that allows on-line check in for flights to the UK. That way he'd print a boarding pass without ever seeing a check in agent, use a DL to get airside and Robert would be his proverbial Uncle.

As you say, he'd have to make his case to UKBA in London, but that's (relatively) trivial as their ops manual has specific procedures for folks without a passport claiming UK citizenship.
I always travel to the UK with Continental...I check in on line and print out my boarding pass...however I still have to swipe my PP at Newark airport at the Continental check in desk. I am then given another boarding pass. I also have to check in again at the gate...my PP and boarding card is required for this. I don't know whether this applies just to Continental passengers or/and to those travelling from Newark NJ...but this is the procedure I have been through for years.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Mike,

Don't worry too much, it's quite easy to get a replacement or emergency passport before you travel. Here are your options:

Apply for a full replacement passport from the UK Passport Service in Washington D.C. Processing time is about 10 days but add on an additional 5 days for security screening of mail and posting the passport back to you. I'd recommend including a covering letter saying that you need to travel urgently. Details of how to apply are here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...-passport-usa/

Get an Emergency Passport from one of our offices throughout the USA. Locations are shown here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...nsular-offices
You will be issued with a one-way document to the UK which will be taken from you by UK Immigration when you arrive. You would then apply for a replacement passport in the UK.

BUT we are currently rolling out the Emergency Travel Document which allows two-way travel (i.e. to the UK and back) the US require this document to be accompanied by a visa or green card (so remember to take it with you when you travel). Check with our offices to see if they can issue this type of document (I know New York and Boston can, Miami will be able to by the end of this week and Orlando the week after. I think Chicago are coming on-line soon).

It's good that you haven't booked your flight yet so consider using alternative cities that we have an office in.

I wouldn't attempt travel without a passport as it will cause you additional hassle and you may not be able to fly. SOMETIMES a British airline will carry you with pre-approval from the UK Border Agency. You will then go through additional immigration clearance in the UK. US airlines will almost certainly not carry you.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British Consul
Mike,

Don't worry too much, it's quite easy to get a replacement or emergency passport before you travel. Here are your options:

Apply for a full replacement passport from the UK Passport Service in Washington D.C. Processing time is about 10 days but add on an additional 5 days for security screening of mail and posting the passport back to you. I'd recommend including a covering letter saying that you need to travel urgently. Details of how to apply are here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...-passport-usa/

Get an Emergency Passport from one of our offices throughout the USA. Locations are shown here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...nsular-offices
You will be issued with a one-way document to the UK which will be taken from you by UK Immigration when you arrive. You would then apply for a replacement passport in the UK.

BUT we are currently rolling out the Emergency Travel Document which allows two-way travel (i.e. to the UK and back) the US require this document to be accompanied by a visa or green card (so remember to take it with you when you travel). Check with our offices to see if they can issue this type of document (I know New York and Boston can, Miami will be able to by the end of this week and Orlando the week after. I think Chicago are coming on-line soon).

It's good that you haven't booked your flight yet so consider using alternative cities that we have an office in.

I wouldn't attempt travel without a passport as it will cause you additional hassle and you may not be able to fly. SOMETIMES a British airline will carry you with pre-approval from the UK Border Agency. You will then go through additional immigration clearance in the UK. US airlines will almost certainly not carry you.

Hope this helps.

Dean

Thank you, this information seems to help me quite a bit, I will probably just travel to the Uk with a emergency document and apply for the passport there, My question is though i won't need to travel long distances to get this emergency document will i surely?.. Hopefully i can do it right from home.

I have no option to fly with a UK carrier out of the states either the flight will be with United Airlines so i probably would not risk trying with just the GC.

Do you happen to know the fee for this document? I know the longer you are willing to wait its usually a bit cheaper, I can wait until the end of the month if needed.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Thank you, this information seems to help me quite a bit, I will probably just travel to the Uk with a emergency document and apply for the passport there, My question is though i won't need to travel long distances to get this emergency document will i surely?.. Hopefully i can do it right from home.

I have no option to fly with a UK carrier out of the states either the flight will be with United Airlines so i probably would not risk trying with just the GC.

Do you happen to know the fee for this document? I know the longer you are willing to wait its usually a bit cheaper, I can wait until the end of the month if needed.
It's all here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

You need to travel to us to get the document. Our locations are also shown in the link.

Dean
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is getting that far...without a PP it's not easy to get to the point where you're allowed on the plane.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:34 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
The problem is getting that far...without a PP it's not easy to get to the point where you're allowed on the plane.
Yeah, I realize from what Dean has been saying that things have changed quite a bit since Helen flew back from Berlin. Also, US versus EU might make quite a difference too...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British Consul
It's all here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

You need to travel to us to get the document. Our locations are also shown in the link.

Dean
Thank you, not sure how i am going to get to any of these locations, They are all quite a distance from me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.