British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lost British Passport In USA Help Please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lost-british-passport-usa-help-please-648308/)

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 2:07 am

Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Hello everyone, i am a British Citizen residing in the USA. I already have my Green Card. I am planning a visit to the UK at the end of this month ( nothing is booked yet thankfully ) However i have just now discovered i have lost my passport. I have looked everywhere for it, It has been missing 2 days, i thought i would look around to see if i can find it as i cant ever remember taking it out the house but it has gone.

I have searched around to find out what is best for me to do but as of now i have no idea where i start, I really need to get another passport, The purpose of my trip means alot as my grandfather is ill..

i will be very very greatful if someone could point me in the right direction to getting another passport while i'm here in the USA.

I know it may be costy.. But the cheapest way would be better as i have limited funds, I know there is also the option to get a Emergency Travel Document but i don't know how to obtain one of these, I am going to be in the UK for 90 days so i have plenty of time there to get a passport.

I'm currently in Toledo, Ohio and i know there are no British Embassys nearby.

I hope i can do this without travel too as i have no way to get around.

Hope all this information helps you guys help me.

Thank you.. Mike :)

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 2:59 am

Re: Lost British Passport In USA Help Please.

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233471)
Hello everyone, i am a British Citizen residing in the USA. I already have my Green Card. I am planning a visit to the UK at the end of this month ( nothing is booked yet thankfully ) However i have just now discovered i have lost my passport. I have looked everywhere for it, It has been missing 2 days, i thought i would look around to see if i can find it as i cant ever remember taking it out the house but it has gone.

I have searched around to find out what is best for me to do but as of now i have no idea where i start, I really need to get another passport, The purpose of my trip means alot as my grandfather is ill..

i will be very very greatful if someone could point me in the right direction to getting another passport while i'm here in the USA.

I know it may be costy.. But the cheapest way would be better as i have limited funds, I know there is also the option to get a Emergency Travel Document but i don't know how to obtain one of these, I am going to be in the UK for 90 days so i have plenty of time there to get a passport.

I'm currently in Toledo, Ohio and i know there are no British Embassys nearby.

I hope i can do this without travel too as i have no way to get around.

Hope all this information helps you guys help me.

Thank you.. Mike :)

If it was me, I'd wait till I got to the UK. As a UKC you don't need a UK passport to enter the country, but they will check you out at the airport.

I don't see any benefit at all to getting a replacement here in the US, apart from a slightly easier trip through UK immigration, especially if it will inconvenience you to get one here..

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:06 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8233550)
If it was me, I'd wait till I got to the UK. As a UKC you don't need a UK passport to enter the country, but they will check you out at the airport.

I don't see any benefit at all to getting a replacement here in the US, apart from a slightly easier trip through UK immigration, especially if it will inconvenience you to get one here..

You are probably right, But what do i need to do to fly out of the USA to the UK? Without the passport?

Thank you for you reply

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 3:09 am

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233567)
You are probably right, But what do i need to do to fly out of the USA to the UK? Without the passport?

Thank you for you reply

Green Card will be fine.

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2010 3:09 am

Take a look through Dean's posts...he mentioned emergency PPs a while back. He also posted info about entering the UK using an expired UK PP.

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:10 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8233573)
Green Card will be fine.

let me just clarify this to be sure.. I am going to book the flight to fly from Detroit to London, When i get to Detroit to check in i can use my green card? And check in without the passport?.. And then fly to England just using the green card?

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 3:12 am

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233579)
let me just clarify this to be sure.. I am going to book the flight to fly from Detroit to London, When i get to Detroit to check in i can use my green card? And check in without the passport?.. And then fly to England just using the green card?

Yes. There may be different requirement for booking, depending on the carrier you use. Some ask for a country of citizenship, and a passport number. Do you have a record of that?

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:13 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8233582)
Yes. There may be different requirement for booking, depending on the carrier you use. Some ask for a country of citizenship, and a passport number. Do you have a record of that?

I think i do somewhere, I would not of worried about all of this so much if i knew i could fly with just the green card, I don't even need to get a emergency travel document to fly then?

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2010 3:16 am

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233588)
I think i do somewhere, I would not of worried about all of this so much if i knew i could fly with just the green card, I don't even need to get a emergency travel document to fly then?

I don't think you will be allowed to enter the UK using only a GC...a GC will mean nothing to UK Immigration Officers. You will need to produce proof of UK citizenship.

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8233599)
I don't think you will be allowed to enter the UK using only a GC...a GC will mean nothing to UK Immigration Officers. You will need to produce proof of UK citizenship.

That is what i was thinking, I was thinking they would not even let me leave the USA without passport and just using the GC.. As of now i have no idea what to do.

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2010 3:20 am

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233606)
That is what i was thinking, I was thinking they would not even let me leave the USA without passport and just using the GC.. As of now i have no idea what to do.

Have you read through Dean's posts?

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8233608)
Have you read through Dean's posts?

Where can i find Deans posts?

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2010 3:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida (Post 8233610)
Where can i find Deans posts?

Sorry...my fault I forgot to post the link. :o

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1457278

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8233614)

its ok, thank you i will read through this.. I really want to figure something out and put my mind at ease so i can get to sleep tonight.. :(

MikeAndVaida Jan 10th 2010 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8233614)

That link didnt work for me.. Said nothing found.. lol