British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   los of citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/los-citizenship-724827/)

buddhanature28 Jul 13th 2011 11:09 pm

los of citizenship

Sorry if this is posted to the wrong section...I was wondering if someone knows the answer to my question. I have dual citizenship in the U.S.A. and U.K. I acquired my U.K. citizenship through marriage. Now we are divorced after 14 years and my ex husband has told our children I will lose my U.K. citizenship if I don't return to live in the country within seven years. I lived in the U.K. for more than eight years during our marriage. It was my understanding that you couldn't lose your citizenship involuntarily? I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me more about this if they know? Thanks.

Duncan Roberts Jul 13th 2011 11:28 pm

Re: los of citizenship

Originally Posted by buddhanature28 (Post 9494066)
Sorry if this is posted to the wrong section...I was wondering if someone knows the answer to my question. I have dual citizenship in the U.S.A. and U.K. I acquired my U.K. citizenship through marriage. Now we are divorced after 14 years and my ex husband has told our children I will lose my U.K. citizenship if I don't return to live in the country within seven years. I lived in the U.K. for more than eight years during our marriage. It was my understanding that you couldn't lose your citizenship involuntarily? I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me more about this if they know? Thanks.

Your husband is wrong, you are right.

buddhanature28 Jul 13th 2011 11:44 pm

Good to know! Thank you very much...H.

Jerseygirl Jul 14th 2011 12:04 am

Welcome to BE.

Your husband doesn't know what he's talking about...take no notice of him. :D

Bob Jul 14th 2011 12:08 am

It's a scare tactic...and he's talking [email protected], so don't worry about it.

Welcome to BE though! :)

buddhanature28 Jul 14th 2011 12:26 am

Wow thanks guys...I appreciate the advice. And thanks for the welcome. :D
H.

Jerseygirl Jul 14th 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by buddhanature28 (Post 9494189)
Wow thanks guys...I appreciate the advice. And thanks for the welcome. :D
H.

Stick around...we're more than a pretty face you know. :D

buddhanature28 Jul 14th 2011 1:06 am

Well I am glad I joined- I think I will! H.

ian-mstm Jul 14th 2011 1:08 am

... my ex husband has told our children I will lose my U.K. citizenship if I don't return to live in the country within seven years.

I understand why you divorced him! :)

Ian

tonrob Jul 14th 2011 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9494191)
Stick around...we're more than a pretty face you know. :D

We have sprouts too. Lots of them! :)

JAJ Jul 14th 2011 2:15 am

In the past there was a law like this, in section 20(4) of the British Nationality Act 1948:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...9480056_en.pdf

It was repealed in 1964.

buddhanature28 Jul 14th 2011 11:54 am

Wow that was really interesting to read. Thank you for sharing that! H.