Reload this Page >

Los Angeles Neighbourhoods?

Los Angeles Neighbourhoods?

Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Simon Kerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Los Angeles Neighbourhoods?

Hi All,

First post here and I suspect there will be many more!

My wife, myself and our little boy maybe moving out to LA with work.

Initially we plan to rent as the position will be for approx 3 years, but potentially could be longer so may decide to buy further down the line.

Work will be around the Torrance / Carson / Long beach area. I do not know what commute times are like in the area so am asking for some recommendations / help for neighbourhoods we should be looking at.

Our little boy is several years away from needing schools so initially schools catchment etc will not matter

We are planning on flying out for a visit etc around April time.

I know this is quite vague, but comment and advice would be greatly received.

S.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Los Angeles Neighbourhoods?

Why not live in Torrance...it's not bad. Depends what sort of property you're looking at.

Although if you can afford it and don't mind a commute @ 90 mins I'd look at Dana Point, Laguna Niguel area. Extremely gorgeous and family friendly and very near some of the best beaches.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
.. Depends what sort of property you're looking at.
Although if you can afford it and don't mind a commute @ 90 mins I'd look at Dana Point, Laguna Niguel area. Extremely gorgeous and family friendly and very near some of the best beaches.
Agreed!
At the same time - you should be aware that geographically - Los Angeles is absolutely humungous. And map distances can be misleading when dealing with the reality of rush hour freeway conditions. Unless you're a masochist who delights in daily ensnarement in a traffic horrowshow - rule out any neighborhood in what's referred to as the "Westside". Commuting daily from there to any of the areas you refer to (I assume your office is near one of those 3) would be a long and awful trek, not to mention the gas (petrol) you'd be guzzling$$$$$$$ whilst stopped and stuck on the freeway. The Westside would include neighborhoods like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Bel Air,Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica etc.
I think you may get some helpful replies if you said where exactly you'd be working. I'm not really familiar enough with that area - so won't be able to offer useful help...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:53 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Los Angeles Neighbourhoods?

Originally Posted by Simon Kerr
Hi All,

First post here and I suspect there will be many more!

My wife, myself and our little boy maybe moving out to LA with work.

Initially we plan to rent as the position will be for approx 3 years, but potentially could be longer so may decide to buy further down the line.

Work will be around the Torrance / Carson / Long beach area. I do not know what commute times are like in the area so am asking for some recommendations / help for neighbourhoods we should be looking at.

Our little boy is several years away from needing schools so initially schools catchment etc will not matter

We are planning on flying out for a visit etc around April time.

I know this is quite vague, but comment and advice would be greatly received.

S.
Hey simon this is more a visa forum, head over to city data forum and we can help you there
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic is always going to be a problem so Torrance would be a good starting point. Manhattan Beach seems very nice but it's expensive.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Simon Kerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies so far, the job would be in the Carson area if this is of help.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where the City data forum is?? If it is the one I think it is the forum is closed!! Any ideas??
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The 405 going past the airport is nasty but Culver City maybe?

Any idea of your budget?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simon Kerr
Thanks for the replies so far, the job would be in the Carson area if this is of help.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where the City data forum is?? If it is the one I think it is the forum is closed!! Any ideas??
Simon I have a few friends living in torrance and they are close to Manhattan Beach but also close to the 405 for work.

Carson you only work in, never live there - it really is that simple.
Carson is where the LA Galaxy play.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:53 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

God Los Angeles is such a Sh!thole. I harshly recommend you reconsider. From Woodland Hills down to Long Beach its one long cesspool of despoiled humanity and strip-malls.

It is not like the movies, anywhere... yuck.. we're getting out in a few months and moving back to the UK.

Sorry to be so negative but Torrence is terrible as well. But I will second MarkCowan and say Manhatten beach is at least livable.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:55 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Agreed!
At the same time - you should be aware that geographically - Los Angeles is absolutely humungous. And map distances can be misleading when dealing with the reality of rush hour freeway conditions. Unless you're a masochist who delights in daily ensnarement in a traffic horrowshow - rule out any neighborhood in what's referred to as the "Westside". Commuting daily from there to any of the areas you refer to (I assume your office is near one of those 3) would be a long and awful trek, not to mention the gas (petrol) you'd be guzzling$$$$$$$ whilst stopped and stuck on the freeway. The Westside would include neighborhoods like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Bel Air,Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica etc.
I think you may get some helpful replies if you said where exactly you'd be working. I'm not really familiar enough with that area - so won't be able to offer useful help...
Or how much exactly you want to spend.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

you can always live in Orange County, its about a 45minute commute to Carson every morning, I did it for about 2 years.
So you have Newport Beach/Costa Mesa, or a little further up Fountain Valley.
Huntington Beach but then its not easy to get to the freeway.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ldollard
It is not like the movies, anywhere... yuck.. we're getting out in a few months and moving back to the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:43 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

God Los Angeles is such a Sh!thole. I harshly recommend you reconsider. From Woodland Hills down to Long Beach its one long cesspool of despoiled humanity and strip-malls.

Sorry to be so negative but Torrence is terrible as well. But I will second MarkCowan and say Manhatten beach is at least livable.
Where in los angeles county do you live?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

I totally disagree......whilst it's true to say that there are some less than desirable areas of the city, there are also places that are very nice.

Having just spent a couple of weeks back in the UK for Xmas, I couldn't wait to get back to the sunshine.

Torrance is good in parts, Manhatten Beach is lovely as is Hermosa and Redondo Beach.

Parts of Culver City are OK, but probably too far from Carson to make it viable.

Rancho Palos Verdes would be my top choice though.....VERY nice, but very pricey
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ. I live in leafy Thousand Oaks, my girlfriend lives in Santa Monica, and between the two of us we have quite a nice little lifestyle. It's quite easy to escape to the mountains on the weekend if you make the effort. It's not Seattle but it's not as bad as a lot of people make out.

I think the key thing to staying sane in LA is to live close enough to work (or work flexible hours) so that you can avoid rush hour traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.