Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looks like i am officially broke

looks like i am officially broke

Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:46 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default looks like i am officially broke

well sort of good news for anyone at all interested in my long running debts saga (business collapsed lots of debts etc) check under rows with Patrick for more info!

My Insolvency advisor tells me it would appear we have clinched a deal and i am as of friday morning officially legally insolvent. So i just hand over what i have left in cash and the proceeds from my house sale and my debts are wiped out forever(as is my UK credit rating, but hey).

At least i get to move to the USA in 4 weeks and start over completely, no more debts worries from home to hold me back. I would have been paying them off for ever and i never would have got going again so its for the best.

just thought i would share as i kind of feel good about it, the whole thing was very depressing and now i get closure.

regards,

Duncan
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Glad its all worked out for you.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you Duncan and good luck to you.

May I ask what you are going to do in the US? I am only asking as I am moving over shortly and am looking at professions and would be interested to know what others do over there.

Andy
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:22 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Good for you Duncan and good luck to you.

May I ask what you are going to do in the US? I am only asking as I am moving over shortly and am looking at professions and would be interested to know what others do over there.

Andy
thanks.

I want to go back to law again so hopefully go back to college get my Juris Doctor and become an attorney. but lots of potential slips twixt that cup and lip!

regards,

Duncan
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Duncan,

Do you practice law at the moment?

I'm a Legal exec. but that won't do me much good in the US. I'm looking for something that I can transfer my skills to that will hopefully not involve any more studies!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:53 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Duncan,

Do you practice law at the moment?

I'm a Legal exec. but that won't do me much good in the US. I'm looking for something that I can transfer my skills to that will hopefully not involve any more studies!
not anymore see above! i was a barrister but i got into cash flow problems with a few dodgy and bankrupt solictors and i went under. I dont know what would be transferable although i understand expereinced paralegals can do ok in the USA. but i think you need a paralegal certificate which takes around 12 weeks to get from state college.

you may find you need to retrain in some fashion as i understand qualifications in the USA mean a lot and often are prerequistes to get a job.

otherwise i reckon i will try for politics and look at lobbying or political consultancy but most likely i will need another masters to do that.

other than that i dont have many good suggestions sorry.

regards,

Duncan
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:27 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
not anymore see above! i was a barrister but i got into cash flow problems with a few dodgy and bankrupt solictors and i went under. I dont know what would be transferable although i understand expereinced paralegals can do ok in the USA. but i think you need a paralegal certificate which takes around 12 weeks to get from state college.

you may find you need to retrain in some fashion as i understand qualifications in the USA mean a lot and often are prerequistes to get a job.

otherwise i reckon i will try for politics and look at lobbying or political consultancy but most likely i will need another masters to do that.

regards,

Duncan
Thank God - I thought you were going to say you were a Financial Adviser....

Sam.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs

regards,

Duncan
Sorry about your financies but the good thing is that there is always another sunrise.

Hope all goes well when you move to the states.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:04 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

With the lax american requirements, there is always a need here in the US for more Bankruptcy Attorneys... maybe you could crosstrain? lol