Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking for writers US/UK

Looking for writers US/UK

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

MandysRoyalty is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Looking for writers US/UK

Hello everyone! I have finally made the British American Group website a work of art... at least I think so! haha!

The B.A.G. site was designed for expatriate Britons who live in New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut). It also doubles as an educational site for Americans who, like me, have British heritage and want to know more about it.

I want to do more with the site, so I was looking for people who can help bring it to life. I was thinking about adding some writers to the fold. I need people to write monthly on these topics:

British Culture - I would like to get a Briton's first-hand look at their motherland. I would also like to include Americans' views on Britain, preferably an American who has visited extensively or someone who has chosen to live there.

Literature Review - Reviews of British writers; reviews of British books (about travel, food, culture, history, etc.)

Ancient History-
I would love to have someone write articles about various aspects of British history - Elizabethan times, the Roman era, the Celts, etc.

Sports - Time to immerse America in the joy that is cricket, footy, and rugby!

Politics - What goes on in British politics & politics that relate to the US & UK

What do you think? I would love it if anyone could contribute. :-)
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the pictures on the website of
Beachy Head and Gold Hill cottages.

Here is one of Stockport, my home town, can you add it to the website please?

Also Here is a beauty from Sheffield.

I can find many more such photographs outlining the excellence and splendour of Northern England from which I spent my youth
.......or I could just be taking the piss.

Last edited by manc1976; Jan 28th 2004 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 2:40 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by manc1976
I loved the pictures on the website of
Beachy Head and Gold Hill cottages.

Here is one of Stockport, my home town, can you add it to the website please?

Also Here is a beauty from Sheffield.

I can find many more such photographs outlining the excellence and splendour of Northern England from which I spent my youth
Oh boy (or girl to make this PC).

Oh, that poor laddie on my biotech course who commuted between Preston and Stockport so many times and through snow, rain, mush, and miserable drizzel ... to that pile of garbage. Tears are filling my eyes.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 2:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Oh boy (or girl to make this PC).

Oh, that poor laddie on my biotech course who commuted between Preston and Stockport so many times and through snow, rain, mush, and miserable drizzel ... to that pile of garbage. Tears are filling my eyes.
especially as he would have had to drive through Salford to get there

Old Jan 28th 2004, 2:49 pm
Franklin

Oh God! No wonder he failed the exams. Poor bugger!

Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:40 pm
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for writers US/UK

Originally posted by MandysRoyalty
Hello everyone! I have finally made the British American Group website a work of art... at least I think so! haha!

The B.A.G. site was designed for expatriate Britons who live in New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut). It also doubles as an educational site for Americans who, like me, have British heritage and want to know more about it.

I want to do more with the site, so I was looking for people who can help bring it to life. I was thinking about adding some writers to the fold. I need people to write monthly on these topics:

British Culture - I would like to get a Briton's first-hand look at their motherland. I would also like to include Americans' views on Britain, preferably an American who has visited extensively or someone who has chosen to live there.

Literature Review - Reviews of British writers; reviews of British books (about travel, food, culture, history, etc.)

Ancient History-
I would love to have someone write articles about various aspects of British history - Elizabethan times, the Roman era, the Celts, etc.

Sports - Time to immerse America in the joy that is cricket, footy, and rugby!

Politics - What goes on in British politics & politics that relate to the US & UK

Here are some links to Colchester if its any help. Colchester is the oldest recorded town in Britain, and was at one time the Roman capitol of Britain.

http://www.colchestercastle.co.uk/
http://www.colchestermuseums.org.uk
http://www.colchester-arch-trust.co....astle/home.htm
http://www.colchester-online.co.uk/
http://www.camulos.com/
http://www.camulodunum.org.uk/
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:42 pm
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HelenWebber
Here are some links to Colchester if its any help. Colchester is the oldest recorded town in Britain, and was at one time the Roman capitol of Britain.

http://www.colchestercastle.co.uk/
http://www.colchestermuseums.org.uk
http://www.colchester-arch-trust.co....astle/home.htm
http://www.colchester-online.co.uk/
http://www.camulos.com/
http://www.camulodunum.org.uk/
I guess I should have checked them first! Seems some of them have gone off line since I last visited them! Sorry...
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:45 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

You picked a posh part there - they've got windows
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:47 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by HelenWebber
I guess I should have checked them first! Seems some of them have gone off line since I last visited them! Sorry...
No worries, he is a pic of the Colchester market.
Del Boy anyone?
No income tax, no VAT, no money back, no guarantee.............

Last edited by manc1976; Jan 28th 2004 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

You'd better get used to the British sense of humor, the sense of irony.

Having expat Brits write about their homeland and everything that it entails is a ever so slightly problematic.

Once you leave the country of one's birth, it's easy to get nostalgic and see things through rose-tinted spectacles. Or worse, still one will make be making unconscious comparisons between the UK and the US.

If you truly want insight in the UK, you should read or have links to websites in the UK.

e.g. for news have the BBC site or maybe a national newspaper too.

e.g. for culture and history, what about museums, theatres, etc.

e.g. sports. Again, the BBC website has a whole area devoted to sports (not just taking place in the UK either)

I think you get the picture.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:57 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by NC Penguin
You'd better get used to the British sense of humor, the sense of irony.

Having expat Brits write about their homeland and everything that it entails is a ever so slightly problematic.

Once you leave the country of one's birth, it's easy to get nostalgic and see things through rose-tinted spectacles. Or worse, still one will make be making unconscious comparisons between the UK and the US.

If you truly want insight in the UK, you should read or have links to websites in the UK.

e.g. for news have the BBC site or maybe a national newspaper too.

e.g. for culture and history, what about museums, theatres, etc.

e.g. sports. Again, the BBC website has a whole area devoted to sports (not just taking place in the UK either)

I think you get the picture.
And have more than 3 famous briton's as current famous people.
I noticed Stella McCartney made the list but her old fella didn't........
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:50 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

I was wondering why you limit it to New England Expats when it is a website and so just as easily accessible to those in California?

Regarding the rose-tinted specs and all that, NC Penguin, I think you are right, but that tends to be the view that American Britophiles want to read -not the version Manc so beautifully portrays.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by monster
I was wondering why you limit it to New England Expats when it is a website and so just as easily accessible to those in California?
Well, I was thinking in terms of meeting people. I am in Massachusetts, and thought that perhaps being able to network with people in Mass. and in New Hampshire would be really great. Then I thought, why not just all of New England... aptly named.

I don't rule out people from other states; anyone can use the site or work with me on it, I just thought it would be easiest to start around my own area to work on projects.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:49 am
Just Joined

And have more than 3 famous briton's as current famous people.
I noticed Stella McCartney made the list but her old fella didn't........
I'm not finished with that section yet. No worries. I am still trying to piece together some more items that will go there.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Yep, definitely taking the mickey, you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.