British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking for trade course advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-trade-course-advice-251932/)

ANTOINE Aug 31st 2004 12:11 pm

Looking for trade course advice

Hello,

I’m moving soon to Oregon because my girlfriend had an opportunity to work there for one until two years. I’ll not be allowed to work in the US because of VISA issue.

Anyway I planned to study there and would like also to learn a trade like plumbing, electricity or woodworking.
Is it easy to find this kind of lesson in Portland or around ?

Regards,
Antoine

NC Penguin Aug 31st 2004 1:18 pm

Re: Looking for trade course advice

Originally Posted by ANTOINE
Hello,

I’m moving soon to Oregon because my girlfriend had an opportunity to work there for one until two years. I’ll not be allowed to work in the US because of VISA issue.

Anyway I planned to study there and would like also to learn a trade like plumbing, electricity or woodworking.

Regards,
Antoine

Search for local community colleges. They offer vocational courses as well as academic courses in subjects such as the ones you've mentioned.

Take care to check the cost of the courses because there may be different fees for residents and non-residents (you may be considered non-resident).

Manc Aug 31st 2004 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Search for local community colleges. They offer vocational courses as well as academic courses in subjects such as the ones you've mentioned.

Take care to check the cost of the courses because there may be different fees for residents and non-residents (you may be considered non-resident).

If he's a trailing spouse H4 visa he's a resident
but yeah, you need to check that and make sure.

Lion in Winter Aug 31st 2004 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
If he's a trailing spouse

This is what they do when you take them shopping, right?

Ben Aug 31st 2004 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
If he's a trailing spouse H4 visa he's a resident
but yeah, you need to check that and make sure.

Actually, I've discovered that each state has different laws on what they class as resident and non-resident. In CT I know of a Brit who has to pay out of state fees even though she has an H4 visa, whereas if she was in NY state she would pay in-state fees as long as she has lived in the state for more than 12 months.

One thing I do know, though, even if your visa does class you as in-state for fees, you will have to pay out-of-state fees because you haven't resided in-state long enough. Each state has different rules on this too from 6 month to 2 years! (just re-read that and what a load of waffle! :p )

Anyway, your local community college will have all the details on what they class as in and out of state. If they tell you you have to pay out of state fees, don't just take it lying down - fight it a couple of times before giving up and paying the larger amount. Sometimes the first person you talk to gets it wrong! Had this happen to me twice. :rolleyes:

Scarlett-Dallas Aug 31st 2004 8:12 pm

I work for a community college. It's not just a case of in and out-of-state fees but also in and out-of-district fees. Generally you need to have lived in the district for 12 months to get the lowest rates.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Originally Posted by Ben
Actually, I've discovered that each state has different laws on what they class as resident and non-resident. In CT I know of a Brit who has to pay out of state fees even though she has an H4 visa, whereas if she was in NY state she would pay in-state fees as long as she has lived in the state for more than 12 months.

One thing I do know, though, even if your visa does class you as in-state for fees, you will have to pay out-of-state fees because you haven't resided in-state long enough. Each state has different rules on this too from 6 month to 2 years! (just re-read that and what a load of waffle! :p )

Anyway, your local community college will have all the details on what they class as in and out of state. If they tell you you have to pay out of state fees, don't just take it lying down - fight it a couple of times before giving up and paying the larger amount. Sometimes the first person you talk to gets it wrong! Had this happen to me twice. :rolleyes:

meauxna Sep 2nd 2004 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ANTOINE
Hello,

Regards,
Antoine

Welcome to Portland. Don't forget to pack your rain gear, but leave the brolly at home. No native uses one ;)

The community college lives here: http://www.pcc.edu/
There is a link at the top for International Students.

You will also find the local Yellow Pages Directory helpful: http://dexonline.com and the one and only daily newspaper (like it or lump it) at www.oregonlive.com The maybe-better weekly 'alternative' paper lives here: www.wweek.com

My favorite local online community is: http://portland.craigslist.org/

My UKC husband has had fun re-learning the building ways here: wood construction -v- brick, different electrical and 'superior' plumbing. If you'd like to apprentice with him, I'm sure we have lots more projects around the house for you to learn on! <g>