British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking to speak with UK Entrepreneurs who have moved to CA! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-speak-uk-entrepreneurs-who-have-moved-ca-869923/)

Vanes Jan 1st 2016 11:34 pm

Looking to speak with UK Entrepreneurs who have moved to CA!

Hi all, I am looking to speak with people that have business interests in the UK and have moved to California!
I am looking to move to Menlo Park, northern CA in June and need to liaise with as many people that is can that have already been through this process.
Thanks
Alvin

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 2nd 2016 12:40 am

Re: Looking to speak with UK Entrepreneurs who have moved to CA!

How?

On what Visa?

Vanes Jan 2nd 2016 3:35 am

I don't need help with the visa, I am looking for help in and around taxable global income.

Ozzidoc Jan 2nd 2016 3:53 am

On what basis do you have permission to reside in the USA? You'll need to share a little about your circumstances before people will be prepared to assist you.

Please refer to Pulaski's post in the wiki. (Hint: Are you seeking to operate the USA branch/arm of your UK company? Or are you looking to invest 500K+?)

Jerseygirl Jan 2nd 2016 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Vanes (Post 11825931)
I don't need help with the visa, I am looking for help in and around taxable global income.

You may not need help with a visa...but if you've read through the many threads in the US forums...most people who ask for help moving to the US have no hopes of obtaining a US visa. Sooooo perhaps you could enlighten us as to what visa you have...or are hoping to get...to enable us to help you. ;)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 2nd 2016 7:07 am

Begs the question what that has to do with Nothern California. Something to ask your financial advisors?

robin1234 Jan 2nd 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Vanes (Post 11825931)

Hopefully pretty straightforward. As a U.S. resident, all your global income will be taxable.

theOAP Jan 2nd 2016 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11826021)
Hopefully pretty straightforward. As a U.S. resident, all your global income will be taxable.

To borrow a tag line from GUYA: "America has the simplest tax system in the universe; worldwide on everything - forever."

sir_eccles Jan 2nd 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11825884)
How?

On what Visa?

According to his other threads he got a visa from hsbc or something.

Vanes Jan 2nd 2016 11:14 pm

Hi all, firstly thank you for your replies.
Please let me clarify;
I currently own a property in the US via HSBC, bought in June 15. There was no visa needed for this process.
I have not applied for a visa to enter the US as yet.
I am not looking to apply for my visa until I can clarify the tax process for UK citizens who have UK business interests.
Once I can confirm the process and if financially viable I will be looking to apply for an L1 visa which will enable me and my family to relocate and for me to set up a new subsidiary of our UK business.
I am only stating Northern California as the tax laws are different to other states and this is the help I am seeking.
I hope this helps all.
Best wishes
Alvin

Bob Jan 2nd 2016 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Vanes (Post 11826445)
I am only stating Northern California as the tax laws are different to other states and this is the help I am seeking.

Only for local stuff and business taxes. The big one is federal and that won't matter where you sit, so on a personal level will have more impact, which is worldwide income.

Vanes Jan 2nd 2016 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11826450)
Only for local stuff and business taxes. The big one is federal and that won't matter where you sit, so on a personal level will have more impact, which is worldwide income.

Is this from day one also bearing in mind I am only going to the US for 2-5 years to set up the new business?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 3rd 2016 1:21 am

Most likely it will be.