Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to rent.. strange documents to complete.. can you help?

Wikiposts

looking to rent.. strange documents to complete.. can you help?

Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default looking to rent.. strange documents to complete.. can you help?

Hi
we are in contact with an agent with whom we met a month ago to visit some places. As we could only start a tenancy agreement at the end of september (when H1B kicks in) we agreed to meet up again closer to the time.. Which is next week when my husband is visiting the company for meetings
She sent us some papers to fill which seem strange giving that we havent found a place yet
we have been asked to produce the following:
-Application to rent/screening fee (which i heard its normal even if we dont have credit record in the US yet)
-Disclosure regarding real estate agency relatonship (which is the one that seem strange..). She said this document is to say that she is our agent. but if we sign thhis and then find a place by ourselves, do we still have to involve her?? does it mean we can only use her?
also since we arent in the US yet so dont have any SSN etc.. she said to bring any UK credit record (I guess to show the future landlord we pay or bills), a bank statement to show the income being paid, a payslip and a letter of employment (which we have) the latests seem pretty fair enough, but I guess I just want to find out what sort of documents you had to produce in order to get a place?
thank you!!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to rent.. strange documents to complete.. can you help?

Originally Posted by laety
-Disclosure regarding real estate agency relatonship (which is the one that seem strange..). She said this document is to say that she is our agent. but if we sign thhis and then find a place by ourselves, do we still have to involve her?? does it mean we can only use her?
Not strange at all.

If you are working with any kind or real estate professional it is both normal and advisable to have a written agreement that spells out the the nature of the relationship and the responsibilities of both parties. Read it carefully before you sign it - it should answer your questions about what happens if you find a place by yourselves.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Agreement sounds normal BUT read it carefully, they vary a lot.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

-Application to rent/screening fee (which i heard its normal even if we dont have credit record in the US yet)
also since we arent in the US yet so dont have any SSN etc.. she said to bring any UK credit record (I guess to show the future landlord we pay or bills), a bank statement to show the income being paid, a payslip and a letter of employment (which we have) the latests seem pretty fair enough, but I guess I just want to find out what sort of documents you had to produce in order to get a place?
thank you!!

The first bit, it's normal, it can be anything from a half month to 3 months rent as a fee, 1 month is normal though, plus cost of credit checks, which will show nothing.

The second bit really depends on the contract. Some will state that even if you find your own place, or use another realtor that you pay her a fee, others will state that if you find your own place on your own or with some one else that you don't, unless it is a place that they also have listed.

As for documents, really depends on how busy the rental market is, what the cost of rent is and everything like that.

A letter from employer as a reference saying you work in such a position and a salary of, is standard. Copy of bank statement and UK credit history, though they don't mean much. Usually it is the offer of a larger deposit, so 3-6 months instead of the 1-3 months deposit on top of the first and last months rent....though again, that all depends on the local market.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, just to clarify, the application fee v realtor fee and this is only from experience of moving around in Maine and Mass.

The application fee consists of a current, within the last 5 days credit check and reference checks that might be asked for such as employer, past rental landlord etc.

This I've seen range from nothing, being refunded if you move in, not being refunded and costing between $25-50 per adult or combined per family. For each apartment/house that you consider moving into and apply for.

This goes to the landlord or their realtor, you might pay it directly or via your realtor.

The realtor fee is the range of half months rent up to 3 months rent. This is the fee you pay for them finding you a place that you accept, or depending on your contract that they don't find for you.

That fee you might find, but often isn't the case, that the landlord might cover, sometimes the fee is split between your realtor and the landlords, sometimes not. A condo or professionally managed property usually cover this fee, private properties usually don't, as a gist.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

so we pay the agent a fee too?? she did not mention anything like this and surely she is paid by the landlord for introducing us to them? I better find out more before anything get started as most of the places we are seeing I pointed them out to her via other channels
the documents she wants us to sign saying we are using her are not mentionning any fees and to be honest is not very clear. its a lot of law but seem to explain her duties as an agent
Ill ask my husband to find out about those fees before anything else happens
thank you for your help!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Chances are that if *you* retain someone to find you a place to live, you'll have to pay them. Same with retaining a realtor to find you a house to buy - you also pay them a fee.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

wow I better check that with her then! because 3 of the condos we are visiting, I have found them and pointed them out to her, and she then showed them on her list so Ill email her to confirm
thanks!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US of A - where pretty much everything will cost you something...

We paid $35 per head for the credit check - which will find nothing...

We paid 2 months security deposit, refundable, in advance.

We paid 1 months rent in advance.

All pretty normal - we found our place on-line, not through an agent.

I understand 1-3 months rent equivalent, as a fee for the agent is normal.

I suggest you read any proposed contract VERY carefully.

I also suggest you go on-line and find the statutes etc at the State and city/county levels that cover renting etc - here in Arizona they're easily and readily available, and mostly spelled out in English as opposed to lawyer-speak.

We've been here less than 12 months so far - all I can say is CHECK everything, and ask all the obvious questions at least 2 or 3 different ways, be very specific and very comprehensive, clarify everything, assume NOTHING - leave no room for wriggle on the part of the agent, and when clarifying specific elements of any contract, ask questions along the lines of "my understanding of Title XX, Chapter YY, Part ZZ of <<insert name of state.. means that <<insert thing you want to clarify>>" - demonstrating that you've read up and potentially understand the law as it applies, can help a lot.

Mostly we've had nothing but genuine, sincere help, and we don't mind paying for it. We've been screwed over a couple of times, partly deliberate, mostly out of ignorance, and we sense that in some cases a business (e.g. real estate agent etc) doesn't believe you'll go to court over a few $100... this apparently is more prevalent now in a crappy economy....

Check with your employer - you might have access to certain legal advice, either as part of your benefits package, or as part of the move... if you do - make use of it!! We have this - it doesn't cover everything but it only costs $9 out of each pay packet - useful in deed!

Just seen also on your latest post that you've shown your agent properties which she then has on her list - check before you show them to her that they're not on her list, and take a print out/get proof she's not showing them already... - I'm not being cynical, but... no wait, I am(!)... the only people who are likely to genuinely have your interests at heart is you...

Good luck

Cheers

HTS
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

thank you so much for your help!!
the document she asked us to sign is this one
http://www.isandiegorealestate.com/a...disclosure.pdf

they talk all about seller and buyer but at some point the word tenant is mentionned. I dont think its any legal documents to force us to use her it looks more like a normal document to sign as part of the process
I want to send her an email to confirm that the charges will be picked up by the landlord (as we got told so by someone when we were in California last time) but cant seem to be able to find the "right way" of saying it without sounding too "suspiscious" as I dont want to "put her off" either if you see what i mean as she has been very good so far..
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

so we pay the agent a fee too?? she did not mention anything like this and surely she is paid by the landlord for introducing us to them? I better find out more before anything get started as most of the places we are seeing I pointed them out to her via other channels
the documents she wants us to sign saying we are using her are not mentionning any fees and to be honest is not very clear. its a lot of law but seem to explain her duties as an agent
Ill ask my husband to find out about those fees before anything else happens
thank you for your help!!
You will pay your agent. You might have to pay the listing agent a fee too, or they might take a fee from the landlord, but they don't always, they don't in MA unless specifically stated at least.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You will pay your agent. You might have to pay the listing agent a fee too, or they might take a fee from the landlord, but they don't always, they don't in MA unless specifically stated at least.
could I ask your point of view..
What if I email her this :

"I never asked you how your fees are covered? I was told by some colleagues that Landlords are usually responsible for them but I prefer to double check with you first
Are they any other type of fees that we need to expect?"

Do you think its ok? Im pretty sure I was told that if an agent want us to pay their fees, we should refuse (I was told by someone from my husband's work in the US) so I better find out soon
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

could I ask your point of view..
What if I email her this :

"I never asked you how your fees are covered? I was told by some colleagues that Landlords are usually responsible for them but I prefer to double check with you first
Are they any other type of fees that we need to expect?"

Do you think its ok? Im pretty sure I was told that if an agent want us to pay their fees, we should refuse (I was told by someone from my husband's work in the US) so I better find out soon
The form you posted just spells out who works for who and doesn't have anything to do with fees. In California typically the realtor fees are paid by the Landlord.

The ony other fees you would expect to pay are:
Credit report fee - typically $25-$45
Security deposit - this varies but by law in California they can't charge more than 2 months rent unless it is furnished then it is 3 months.
Pet deposit - I've seen anywhere between $300 - $1000
Key/garage door opener deposit - varies but typically $100
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Havnfun
In California typically the realtor fees are paid by the Landlord.
yes thats what I was told too I think, thanks for clarifying
I guess I ll hold on with the email for now and Ill ask my husband to clarify this with her when he visits the places
thanks again
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Chances are that if *you* retain someone to find you a place to live, you'll have to pay them. Same with retaining a realtor to find you a house to buy - you also pay them a fee.
The fee is split with the seller's agent so effectively the buyer does not pay the realtor a fee, at least where we are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.