Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking for "PRAWNS & found "SHRIMP"!

Wikiposts

Looking for "PRAWNS & found "SHRIMP"!

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for "PRAWNS & found "SHRIMP"!

I think one of the last times I posted on here; I said I was going fishing. That was 18 months ago (I think). I can't remember much about the fish, but yesterday I came home with a "Certificate of Naturalization".

10/19/04 Mailed Pkg. to VSC (Vermont)
10/21/04 Received at VSC
11/3/04 1-797c Notice of Action received
(10/21/04 Priority Date 10/28/04 Notice Date)

12/16/04 Finger Print Notice
1/13/05 Finger Printed
7/5/05 Notice of Interview date by mail
7/5/05 1st time status found online
9/16/05 Interview
9/22/05 Oath Ceremony

My Interview appointment was scheduled for 9.15 am, 26 Federal Plaza NYC. I arrived at 8.30 am, was directed to the 7th floor. Took a seat at 8.35 am, my name was called at 8.45 am. Interview over & passed by 9.15 am. I raised my hand swore to tell the truth etc. Personal Questions: Had been out of the country, for more than 6 months. Had I taken or sold drugs? Had I been involved in prostitution? Had I been a Member of Communist party or Nazi Party? I was asked each of the questions, I had answered on the N400. He asked me some questions about my children & my work. He also asked me if I was still married, even though I did not apply on the basis of marriage. I gave him 5 years Tax transcripts, 2 copies of paid minor traffic tickets (in 16 years, he made a polite comment), Green Card & Driving License. He visually looked at my Old & New Passports. I wrote one short sentence (The interviewer began the sentence & asked me to write & finish it) I read a short paragraph & was verbally asked 11 questions from the 100 practice test (19, 26, 29, 42, 47, 70, 73, 77, 80, 92, 97). The interviewer asked if I would like to wait for my Oath letter, I said yes & was told to take a seat outside. 9.30 am, my name was called & I was handed a "Oath Ceremony Letter" for 9/22/2005.

The Interviewer, said he was “Very Impressed, I had all my docs & copies in a neat pile.” I used colored sheets to separate, the docs. I think, this got me in & out pretty sharply. Interviewer was very polite and made me feel at ease.

Reg.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:05 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for "PRAWNS & found "SHRIMP"!

Originally Posted by frrussre
I think one of the last times I posted on here; I said I was going fishing. That was 18 months ago (I think). I can't remember much about the fish, but yesterday I came home with a "Certificate of Naturalization".

10/21/04 Received at VSC

1/13/05 Finger Printed
9/16/05 Interview
9/22/05 Oath Ceremony

My Interview appointment was scheduled for 9.15 am, 26 Federal Plaza NYC. I arrived at 8.30 am, was directed to the 7th floor. Took a seat at 8.35 am, my name was called at 8.45 am. Interview over & passed by 9.15 am. I raised my hand swore to tell the truth etc. Personal Questions: Had been out of the country, for more than 6 months. Had I taken or sold drugs? Had I been involved in prostitution? Had I been a Member of Communist party or Nazi Party? I was asked each of the questions, I had answered on the N400. He asked me some questions about my children & my work. He also asked me if I was still married, even though I did not apply on the basis of marriage. I gave him 5 years Tax transcripts, 2 copies of paid minor traffic tickets (in 16 years, he made a polite comment), Green Card & Driving License. He visually looked at my Old & New Passports. I wrote one short sentence (The interviewer began the sentence & asked me to write & finish it) I read a short paragraph & was verbally asked 11 questions from the 100 practice test (19, 26, 29, 42, 47, 70, 73, 77, 80, 92, 97). The interviewer asked if I would like to wait for my Oath letter, I said yes & was told to take a seat outside. 9.30 am, my name was called & I was handed a "Oath Ceremony Letter" for 9/22/2005.

The Interviewer, said he was “Very Impressed, I had all my docs & copies in a neat pile.” I used colored sheets to separate, the docs. I think, this got me in & out pretty sharply. Interviewer was very polite and made me feel at ease.

Reg.
Well this is very timely, I just sent off my application for citizenship to Vermont last Tuesday and was going to post something, but now I can just reply to your post.

Thanks for the time-line - gives me something to look at. If I have to go to NY for an interview too, I'll be able to make a holiday of it and let my wife get in some seriously missed quality shopping since we can no longer get to London easily.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Well this is very timely, I just sent off my application for citizenship to Vermont last Tuesday and was going to post something, but now I can just reply to your post.

Thanks for the time-line - gives me something to look at. If I have to go to NY for an interview too, I'll be able to make a holiday of it and let my wife get in some seriously missed quality shopping since we can no longer get to London easily.
ukemigrant, "Breaka leg", hope all goes smoothly. Mine took 11 months NYS, some are quicker some are much longer. NJ can be as quick as 4-5 months.
For anyone considering Citizenship or "Never ever going to do it" that was me. Make sure you keep records of every trip outside USA, keep those old passports. Any traffic tickets (even minor ones), keep all records of fines & proof of payments. Make sure you file & pay your taxes, especially 1st year or part of. Child support/alimony, keep records & proof. Divorce decree documents. Don't join any undesirable clubs, I guess that Greenpeace could be in that group? VERY IMPORTANT, if you are Male 18 - 26 years old you must register for Selective Service,don't think they listen to excuses.
Reg. Frank R

Last edited by frrussre; Sep 24th 2005 at 3:13 am.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:33 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

10/21/04 Received at VSC

1/13/05 Finger Printed
9/16/05 Interview
9/22/05 Oath Ceremony

Reg.

Whats this got to do with seafood?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 6:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

10/21/04 Received at VSC

1/13/05 Finger Printed
9/16/05 Interview
9/22/05 Oath Ceremony

Reg.
Sharing your experience is most helpful but it would probably benefit those who read the US Immigration forum better.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:26 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sharing your experience is most helpful but it would probably benefit those who read the US Immigration forum better.

NC Penguin
While it would be useful to post in that forum too, I personally like to see the posts here since so many years go by between getting your visa and making the decision to go for citizenship. I felt that after getting my visa I had graduated from the immigrant lounge to the USA one .

Also thanks for the comments frrussre, I keep all relevant documents and follow all the laws like a good little person so I've no worries on any of those scores. And I was ineligible for selective service.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
While it would be useful to post in that forum too, I personally like to see the posts here since so many years go by between getting your visa and making the decision to go for citizenship. I felt that after getting my visa I had graduated from the immigrant lounge to the USA one .

Also thanks for the comments frrussre, I keep all relevant documents and follow all the laws like a good little person so I've no worries on any of those scores. And I was ineligible for selective service.
You scared to read the immigration forums or summat?

You'll read a lot more about timelines in any of those forums than here.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sarah
Whats this got to do with seafood?
Hi Sarah
Just me trying to be witty & British. In England we call the little ones shrimps & the bigger ones Prawns. Here in USA small ones shrimp & the bigger ones shrimp. When I went off fishing I was a Brit (Prawn) came back American (Shrimp). Wow, that started to confuse me.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NC Penguin
NC Penguin, I could not decide where to stick this thread. I kinda, consider the immigration forums as the place for people trying to get Visa's & Green cards. USA, tends to be for those of us who are already here and therefore up the road, decide to do the Citizenship thing. Me still not sure one way or the other.
Ps. Should I cross post & to which one.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 12:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah
Just me trying to be witty & British. In England we call the little ones shrimps & the bigger ones Prawns. Here in USA small ones shrimp & the bigger ones shrimp. When I went off fishing I was a Brit (Prawn) came back American (Shrimp). Wow, that started to confuse me.
Reg. Frank R.

Quite please with myself that as a Yank I understood it before you explained it,
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin, I could not decide where to stick this thread. I kinda, consider the immigration forums as the place for people trying to get Visa's & Green cards. USA, tends to be for those of us who are already here and therefore up the road, decide to do the Citizenship thing. Me still not sure one way or the other.
Ps. Should I cross post & to which one.
Reg. Frank R.
Dunno if you've noticed but in the Immigration forums, there's quite often posts/threads about timeline updates for naturalization, EAD, AOS, K-1, I-130s, etc. Your timeline would be helpful to the non-BE members who read the US Immigration forum/newsgroup (it's on usenet).

I'm going through N-400 process myself and I post on and read the US immigration related forums.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Quite please with myself that as a Yank I understood it before you explained it,
Hi cindyabs, glad you got it. My wife the USC, also got it. Guess it shows Winston Churchill was incorrect; we are obviously not separated by a common language.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:29 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

You scared to read the immigration forums or summat?

You'll read a lot more about timelines in any of those forums than here.

NC Penguin
LOL It's dark in those forums - never know who's round the corner. I'll go now and look for some of those N400 timelines you mentioned.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 11:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cindyabs, glad you got it. My wife the USC, also got it. Guess it shows Winston Churchill was incorrect; we are obviously not separated by a common language.

Reg. Frank R.

Of course he was half American-
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Of course he was half American-
Cindyabs, very good. Double your money or take your pick.
Reg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.