Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking at moving to the USA

Looking at moving to the USA

Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

rickibalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking at moving to the USA

Speaking to her now, seems like the J1 visa could be my best bet, I can have a word with her father to see what my chances are like soon.

Marriage may be a possibility, however she's worried that they may investigate, because I'll be marrying her not long after she's got her citizenship, and she's worried that they'll think i'm just marrying her to get into the country.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickibalboa
Speaking to her now, seems like the J1 visa could be my best bet, I can have a word with her father to see what my chances are like soon.

Marriage may be a possibility, however she's worried that they may investigate, because I'll be marrying her not long after she's got her citizenship, and she's worried that they'll think i'm just marrying her to get into the country.
That won't be the case...she should not worry about that.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she does she's recently been studying here.
Has she been spending a significant amount of time outside the USA? This could delay her US citizenship. She should look into the requirements for US citizenship to see how her time away from the USA will affect that.

What is her basis for applying for US citizenship? Her father and she have green cards...is he also applying for US citizenship?

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

rickibalboa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Has she been spending a significant amount of time outside the USA? This could delay her US citizenship. She should look into the requirements for US citizenship to see how her time away from the USA will affect that.

What is her basis for applying for US citizenship? Her father and she have green cards...is he also applying for US citizenship?

Rene
Just the past year. Okay, and no her father isn't applying for it either.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:02 pm

Just the past year. Okay, and no her father isn't applying for it either.
Spending a year or more outside the USA resets the clock for naturalization. She should read up on it at www.uscis.gov. Look up the "USCIS Guide to Naturalization".

So she's going to be applying based on being a US PR for 5 years, when the time comes?

Rene