Reload this Page >

looking at moving to NY state

looking at moving to NY state

Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:28 am
Just Joined

stevieg_83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking at moving to NY state

Hi folks,
I've been consulting for an Albany based company remotely for the last 8 months or so from the UK and they have made me an offer of permanent employment with them.

They are covering the visa costs, sponsorship and all that but we're still trying to work out what our family (of 4) would need to survive in terms of monthly outgoings.

The plan would be to rent for the first 2 years while saving for a deposit on a house. Paying circa $1500-$2000 per month.

Part of my comp is a payment towards my HI/Dental. I have to cover the difference but not sure what that would be overall.

Those are my 2 concerns with regard to major outgoings. Are there any other things I should be aware of?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking at moving to NY state

Originally Posted by stevieg_83
Hi folks,
I've been consulting for an Albany based company remotely for the last 8 months or so from the UK and they have made me an offer of permanent employment with them.

They are covering the visa costs, sponsorship and all that but we're still trying to work out what our family (of 4) would need to survive in terms of monthly outgoings.

The plan would be to rent for the first 2 years while saving for a deposit on a house. Paying circa $1500-$2000 per month.

Part of my comp is a payment towards my HI/Dental. I have to cover the difference but not sure what that would be overall.

Those are my 2 concerns with regard to major outgoings. Are there any other things I should be aware of?
Just curious, which visa are they petitioning you for? H1B? Be aware that if so, your wife will get an H4 and will not be able to work in the USA at all.

Also, if you're planning a permanent move, get the company to put in a specific date that they'll be applying for your green cards.

If it is the H1B, is that for a start date this coming October 2012?

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:30 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The visa issue, unfortunately, is something you'll need to get a handle on first as it will help indicate not only the status of your spouse in working but also the timing in when you might move. For example, the quota on H1 visas was reached last week and the next opening for applications won't be for a few months.

Generally what happens with insurance is that the company 'buys' the insurance, and then deducts a certain amount from your paycheck. For example, insurance will cost $1500 a month. The company will pay $1000 and you will have a deduction from your paycheck for $500. The alternative, where you buy the insurance and they 'reimburse' you has some negative tax implications for you, and also puts you in the 'individual' insurance system rather than the 'group' insurance system (which has slight differences).

You should google 'paycheck calculator' or 'payroll calculator' and input what details you know to see what your actual 'take home' pay will be. After housing and insurance, your next largest expenditure will probably be a car and insurance for the car (and no, you aren't going live here without a car, possibly 2 to be honest).
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

yup, H1B which they did say to us don't open again until Oct.

Aware that my wife won't be able to work, not really an issue because she doesn't work now.

Thanks for the healthcare explanation

Is there a breakdown list available anywhere of the kind of living expenses we can expect to incur?

If we're renting, is there anything on top of that we'd need to be aware of like council tax we have at home?

Thanks folks,
Steven
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

October 2013
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

really? Why would the immigration attorney say Oct 2012?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

really? Why would the immigration attorney say Oct 2012?
As far as I'm aware, the quota for H1-B's has been filled for this year and the company wouldn't be able to apply until next April, for a work start of October 2013. Maybe he's not aware that the quota's been filled, either that or I saw the wrong information (which is totally possible )

As for your living expenses, you won't have tax, the landlord will pay the tax's on his property. You will no doubt have all the utilities to pay for, electric, oil?gas, lawn maintenance, snow removal etc. Just remember, when you come over here you will have a zero credit score, so you have to start from scratch. There's quite a lot of information on here as to how to build up a credit score. This just means that you will have higher car insurance etc at the start. If there's anything else springs to mind, just ask. I live in Connecticut and my OH works in New York and we're on H1-B's/H4's and have been here since February 2010.

Good luck and if anything I've posted in this is wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just curious, which visa are they petitioning you for? H1B? Be aware that if so, your wife will get an H4 and will not be able to work in the USA at all.

Also, if you're planning a permanent move, get the company to put in a specific date that they'll be applying for your green cards.

If it is the H1B, is that for a start date this coming October 2012?

Rene
It's full this year, they won't be applying till next April for Oct 2013 start.

As for the medical insurance, there's a wiki that goes into that quite nicely.

There have been a few threads on living costs, which won't apply for Albany as that's in the boonies, but will have things to look out for.

Heat will be the biggest cost, avoid oil as that'll likely run you more than $350-500 a month for a decent sized house.

Phone/Cable/Internet $100-150 a month, probably the same for a mobile phone unless you go PAYG.

Things to look out for would be snow removal, that included in the rent? Rubbish collection, do you need to pay, use a town dump, or town bags, etc.

Council tax is property tax, house owner pays it, but it'll be rolled into your rent.

Renters insurance about $150 a year?

Car insurance, expect a grand, for six months, for a new car with decent coverage and be happy if it is less. You'll probably want better than state minimums living in the boonies where you'll have a fair chance of meeting a deer/moose.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's full this year, they won't be applying till next April for Oct 2013 start.

As for the medical insurance, there's a wiki that goes into that quite nicely.

There have been a few threads on living costs, which won't apply for Albany as that's in the boonies, but will have things to look out for.

Heat will be the biggest cost, avoid oil as that'll likely run you more than $350-500 a month for a decent sized house.

Phone/Cable/Internet $100-150 a month, probably the same for a mobile phone unless you go PAYG.

Things to look out for would be snow removal, that included in the rent? Rubbish collection, do you need to pay, use a town dump, or town bags, etc.

Council tax is property tax, house owner pays it, but it'll be rolled into your rent.

Renters insurance about $150 a year?

Car insurance, expect a grand, for six months, for a new car with decent coverage and be happy if it is less. You'll probably want better than state minimums living in the boonies where you'll have a fair chance of meeting a deer/moose.
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Have you and your wife been to Albany?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

It's not Albany per se, although the company is based there.

We're specifically looking at Clifton Park as we have friends there. We almost made the move 2 years ago but the hiring company dropped the idea which in hindsight was a really blessing in disguise.

I've been back a few times since and think it's great so it's not a blind move.

One thing is for sure, the time has come for us to leave Glasgow.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not Albany per se, although the company is based there.

We're specifically looking at Clifton Park as we have friends there. We almost made the move 2 years ago but the hiring company dropped the idea which in hindsight was a really blessing in disguise.

I've been back a few times since and think it's great so it's not a blind move.

One thing is for sure, the time has come for us to leave Glasgow.
Good luck with everything, we're from Glasgow too and don't regret making the move, through all the ups and downs, it's been worth it. The extra time that you've got, will help you to organise and plan for the move, it's just a pity the quota's been met for this year. And I agree with everything that Bob said too, he's spot on!!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

I guess gives me extra time with consultant rates then

Our kids are 3 & 4 so figure it makes sense to move now before they get into school.

We also have a trip to NZ for 3 months Nov - Jan so this could work out really well. Also not getting my hopes up just yet.

About to email the owner and tell him what we need salary wise so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for their answers.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess gives me extra time with consultant rates then

Our kids are 3 & 4 so figure it makes sense to move now before they get into school.

We also have a trip to NZ for 3 months Nov - Jan so this could work out really well. Also not getting my hopes up just yet.

About to email the owner and tell him what we need salary wise so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for their answers.
Although the area you will be moving too has a pretty low cost of living (there's a reason for that )...do not underestimate how much it costs to move...set up a new home and live here...especially with children. I always compare living in the US to a trip to Disneyland...nothing is what it seems.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:45 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Hello Stevieg_83

We moved to Clifton Park, Albany last September. We moved into a home we bought straight away so won't have any info on renting but will with everything else including schools/taxes/bills/car purchase/bank accounts/cost of living etc... Anything specific don't hesitate to message me and we'll try to answer your questions. Good luck with everything, we love it here (but it is still early days) Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.