Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking at moving to California

Looking at moving to California

Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:14 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at moving to California

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
If I were you, I'd start this adventure without children. Only for the reason that if things got tough, and they probably will at some point, you won't have to worry about anyone but yourselves.
Oh, but its so much more fun skipping thru the minefields of cross-cultural wedded (family) bliss........
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:49 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you don't contact the IRS office at the Embassy, how are you going to file your taxes. Send them to the IRS in the States instead? Either way you are going to end up contacting the IRS, and the end result will be the same, whatever it is.
I'll clarify my statement - don't go to the IRS at the embassy asking for advice on this subject. (been there, done that, got fined). They'll give the OPs details to the Criminal Investigation branch which I don't believe is necessary. Once CI has your details there's no going back. Back filing the taxes and the FBAR appears to be an acceptable method. Going to the IRS in the embassy will almost certainly result in fines which I for one don't believe are justifiable so I would proffer the advice to seek a CPA and/or tax attorney to sort out any potential filings before contacting the IRS directly.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candyapple
Thanks for all your help, I definitely need to look into this Tax filing. I was also thinking of making an appointment at the London Embassy to get a US passport, I currently only have a UK one - is this a worthwhile idea?
My husband's employer does have a presence in the US, but he has looked on the database at work & there are currently no vacancies in San Diego (will keep checking) - but as San Fran has so many financial institutions he would maybe have more chance there whether with his own bank or another, & we could then move on to San Diego in the future. Unfortunately he doesn't have any niche experience with the bank so not sure how hard it would be to switch banks as his experience is mostly customer service based.
Is it much easier to move without children? Or would it not be too complicated at my children would have a US citizen mother (but UK citizen father)? Are there differences depending what age the child is?
Does your husband have a degree?

It seems that you can't get any decent job here without a degree. Even admin jobs which in the UK your A Levels would get you into, require a degree in the US.

If not, its something to think about because you might find that he won't get into banking without a degree.

Something to think about - it might be several months before the right job comes along.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candyapple
Is it much easier to move without children? Or would it not be too complicated at my children would have a US citizen mother (but UK citizen father)? Are there differences depending what age the child is?
Much easier without kids. For a start, you'd have to be mental moving here without medical insurance for kids as they're so much more likely to fall over and break something or get sick, whilst if on your own you might be more willing to wing it, even though again that isn't a good idea.

Childcare is also going to be much, much more expensive.

Then you've got catchment areas to worry about for where you move to, regarding schools.

After the practical things, you'd also lose your network of close friends/family that you can rely on to help you out when you need someone to look after the kids for an afternoon while going to the doctors or whatever. Stuff like that takes time to build up and when thrown in at the deep end, it's just another thing to worry and cope with that you wouldn't other wise.