Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to move to new york help appreciated

looking to move to new york help appreciated

Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

leannesteph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking to move to new york help appreciated

I am currently doing a degree in graphic arts in liverpool john moores uni, and am looking to move to new york when graduated. I would ideally like to work as a fashion photographer, but as I would have a degree in graphics could work as a web designer, illustrator, designer etc. I am looking for the most info I can get like what visa I would get, any good sites for apartments and any job sites. I am going in blind so need all the help I can get. My partner will be joining me so what visa would he need if he works in an office job?

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to move to new york help appreciated

Originally Posted by leannesteph
I am currently doing a degree in graphic arts in liverpool john moores uni, and am looking to move to new york when graduated. I would ideally like to work as a fashion photographer, but as I would have a degree in graphics could work as a web designer, illustrator, designer etc. I am looking for the most info I can get like what visa I would get, any good sites for apartments and any job sites. I am going in blind so need all the help I can get. My partner will be joining me so what visa would he need if he works in an office job?

Thanks
No offense.

but this is pie in the sky..........

p.s. I went to John Moores........ Are Crete and Candia Towers still there off Scotty Road?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Your only concern is the visa -- everything else is secondary.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
take a read here on what visa you would need or can get ...your chances arenot brilliant though.... limited visas are available

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
No offense.

but this is pie in the sky..........

p.s. I went to John Moores........ Are Crete and Candia Towers still there off Scotty Road?
why is it pie in the sky?

also what on average do photography/design jobs earn in new york?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

because unless you pull a US passport out from behind your ear or tell us your Mom was born in Baltimore or something........

you're not moving to New York anytime soon.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Because unfortunately, you are not likely to be able to immigrate to the US based on what you've told us. Work visas for the US are notoriously hard to get and unless you have a Phd or are a renowned scientist or surgeon, it's unlikely to happen. Unfortunately photographers and web designers are not in short supply in the US and there are plenty of US citizens to fill any available positions.

Do have a good read of the link you have been given earlier and come back and tell us if in fact you do think you qualify for any of those categories?

You should also note that if by any chance you do manage to get a visa then your partner wouldn't be able to accompany you unless you marry - common law or same sex partnerships are not recognised in US immigration. And even if you do qualify for a H1B visa, and then marry, he would be able to accompany you but would NOT be able to work!

Hope that helps, I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

so there is no way at all that I will be allowed a visa? what other kinds of visa would we be eligible for?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

so there is no way at all that I will be allowed a visa? what other kinds of visa would we be eligible for?
None I'm afraid unless you happen to have a US citizen as a parent! The link you were given earlier lists every kind of visa there is - and you don't appear to qualify for any of them. Sorry.

Try Canada? Much more lenient and you may well get in there, plus they recognise common law partnerships so you wouldn't need to marry to emigrate together.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

pabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried Barclays?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pabby
Have you tried Barclays?
badum bum tish
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
None I'm afraid unless you happen to have a US citizen as a parent! The link you were given earlier lists every kind of visa there is - and you don't appear to qualify for any of them. Sorry.

Try Canada? Much more lenient and you may well get in there, plus they recognise common law partnerships so you wouldn't need to marry to emigrate together.
so even if i got an intern with a new york company its still a no go?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

pabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura about

Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Bunac, J1, get a name for yourself...slight possibility.

What you earn, where you live, all the rest.....worry about it when you've got the visa.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You may be able to get a J1 visa but bear in mind with that visa that (a) it usually has a 2 year home residency requirement meaning you would not be able to go back to US to work for 2 years after it has expired; and (b) that your partner would not be able to accompany you on that visa.

So didn't sound from your original requirements as though it would suit at all? But do have a hunt on here for more info on J1 if you think it would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.