Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to move-need some advice

Wikiposts

Looking to move-need some advice

Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:36 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Looking to move-need some advice

Originally Posted by Manc
whilst that may be true, it's not your decision to dictate the audience the OP wants to address.
Under the names of each US immigration related forum/newsgroup, there is a description. All explictly give reference to immigration and visas.

The description under this USA forum does not. I wonder why?

I only want the OP to get information from the best possible source. The OP is asking immigration questions. That would be the specific US immigration forums/newsgroups. If the member is concerned about posts appearing in usenet, there is the option to not send to usenet...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move-need some advice

And Pauls comments are "This forum is for posting general non-immigration topics". I don't remember her mentioning Immigration... so it WAS a non-immigration topic.. .........................and smoke it ...
and how would a newbie know she could not send to Usernet thru here ..it was a year b4 I found that out ...
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:45 am
Just Joined

misswitch2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
And Pauls comments are "This forum is for posting general non-immigration topics". I don't remember her mentioning Immigration... so it WAS a non-immigration topic.. .........................and smoke it ...
and how would a newbie know she could not send to Usernet thru here ..it was a year b4 I found that out ...
Thankyou ray....i'm sorry that i caused so much contraversy.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray, you're not dense. The content of the OP's message is about possiblities of moving to the US. That's immigration.

I've now stated that it's possible to post in the three US immigration related forums/newsgroups without posting to usenet. If the OP forgets/fails to tick the box, that's not my business.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:46 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I only want the OP to get information from the best possible source.
wtf are we.......... chopped liver?
we're not stupid here.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP forgets/fails to tick the box, that's not my business.
but if the OP posts here apparently it is?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

3 of the best responders are usenet, but can not say it bothers me where the OP posts.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:02 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The OP will certainly get information on this forum but he/she would gain far more (and probably more up-to-date) info from the aforementioned US visas and immigration forums/newsgroups.
Right now, past Pulaski's Rules, there really isn't much chance of getting in without marriage or intracompany transfer. Except....

fancy being an aupair, misswitch? You are allowed a stipend.

Anyway -- since the answer at the moment is so cut and dried, I don't see the harm of posting the answer here. Could it be sticky-ed as an FAQ?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
H1-B or L1 visa are the only two real possibilites.

with the L1 you have to be employed with the uk office of a US compnay and for then to transfer you over. if this is not you situation then no go

H1-b is highly unlikely also, even if you could find a job that no american in long island is qualifed to do, you need to find a job that requires a degree that you have the relevent degree-level qualifications or 12 years experience to do.

if marriage is currently not a possibility then its worth waiting till it is. you can then file a fiance visa and then within 3 months of entering the country, get married
You can also get an E2 Visa if you work for a company that is owned by a British based company or British holding company. You don't have to work for them in the UK in order get this type of visa.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:17 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by strim
You can also get an E2 Visa if you work for a company that is owned by a British based company or British holding company. You don't have to work for them in the UK in order get this type of visa.
E2 is an entrepreneur visa?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

never heard that before .....
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
E2 is an entrepreneur visa?
When I first came out here I worked for a company that was owned by a UK based marketing services group headquartered in London. The group has operations in over 60 countries and employs 8000+ people.

The company where I was actually working operated as an independent subsiduary, but because it had been bought up by this UK based group any non-US who worked there were eligible for an E2.

I guess the group owner qualifies as an entrepeneur...
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:41 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came out here I worked for a company that was owned by a UK based marketing services group headquartered in London. The group has operations in over 60 countries and employs 8000+ people.

The company where I was actually working operated as an independent subsiduary, but because it had been bought up by this UK based group any non-US who worked there were eligible for an E2.

I guess the group owner qualifies as an entrepeneur...
Did they give you a greencard? Was it free? How long did it take?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

L1 would/should have been easier and would have the possibility of a GC?