Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to have a go self employed in tampa but am unsure of the implications..

Wikiposts

Looking to have a go self employed in tampa but am unsure of the implications..

Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:33 am
Just Joined

ironsmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to have a go self employed in tampa but am unsure of the implications..

Thanks for that.. Ill look into this IRA thing which again is new to me..
Ref the physical therapists.. you are maybe thinking of something different. A doctor isnt going to send someone who is clinically obese to a physical therapist in order to help them lose weight and change their lifestyle..
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to have a go self employed in tampa but am unsure of the implications..

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you are part time, there are no benefits.
It might depend on how many hours a week he works? I know here in my office (not a gym), someone who works more than 17.5 hours a week still retains benefits. He'd have to check with his employer on that one.

Doctors refer to physical therapists, rather than personal trainers, in my experience.
Yes, I was wondering if by PT he meant Physical Therapist. Doctors will refer someone to a Physical Therapist, not a Personal Trainer.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironsmurf
Ref the physical therapists.. you are maybe thinking of something different. A doctor isnt going to send someone who is clinically obese to a physical therapist in order to help them lose weight and change their lifestyle..
"PT" initials here in the USA are typical for "Physical Therapist".

You are correct, a doctor isn't going to send an obese person to a physical therapist, but they also aren't likely to send them to a personal trainer. The doctor will tell the patient what needs to be done in general (i.e., exercise more and eat healthy), and it's up to the patient to go do it, and to find a trainer they like and can afford. The patient's insurance MIGHT cover some consultations with a licensed nutritionist, but to my knowledge does not cover the cost of any personal training.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It might depend on how many hours a week he works? I know here in my office (not a gym), someone who works more than 17.5 hours a week still retains benefits. He'd have to check with his employer on that one.

Rene
Perhaps it depends on the employer/state/HI provider/all those other variables! The companies I work with don't offer HI or retirement plan benefits to any employees who work less than 35 hours a week.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

wow thanks for all the help folks, thats superb stuff.. Im still unsure of how this 401k thing will work for me..
Liability insurance - Absolutely will have that covered best I can.. Ive heard all the stories on that front..
Have I looked at "personal Trainers Tampa" - Yup, almost daily. There are plenty of jobs in clubs and the self employed ones seem to be much of a muchness which is good for me.
WIth regards to paying the club for premises I know thats a route I can go down, which i absolutely don't agree with.. what i meant was if part time will I still have to contribute towards benefits, which i think someone covered..
Im not looking to just do PT. Itll be bootcamps, football (ie REAL football) coaching aerobics and boxercise classes.
I am sooo nervous and excited at the same time.. really need to figure out some marketing strategies.. oh, another Q.. do you know if there is such a thing as a doctor referral scheme for PT's there?

Thanks again.
I think there are two issues to separate.
One is the viability of becoming self-employed as a trainer; is it a business that can net you the income you are looking for. I suggest starting to network with that fairly limited list of people who come up in the google search. Research them online, start to draw a picture of what is possible. Your market research will uncover how most physical trainers get paid in Tampa.. do they work independently or through a gym? Is physician referral possible and/or practical? What sports clubs can you associate with? Where would you promote your independent camps and who are your prospect clients? Is it better to pursue the elderly rich n' idle or the jock market and are there enough of either to support you or is there another niche that make up the bulk of your marketplace? How far is reasonable to travel to provide services? Could you train people at their homes, etc.

The second is the variety of practical matters associated with being self-employed here and being licensed to provide your service. I have no experience of it in the UK, but from what I have picked up here, self employment is quite different than in the US.

A 401k is a type of retirement benefit that a large organization can sponsor and offer to their employees. There are many other types of retirement savings plans that an individual can use. Since a 401k is not available to a self-employed person, you'll want to simply calculate how much your retirement savings need to be monthly and be disciplined enough to set that money aside yourself. Where you set it aside is an entirely other conversation (see: IRA etc).
But you say "contribute towards benefits", which makes me think more of the self-employment taxes you'll pay. As a self employed person, you'll have to make the employee + employer portion of the mandatory 'FICA' taxes. That goes into your Social Security payment, but you don't collect on that here until real retirement age in your 60s.
Self employed do not pay unemployment insurance, so no unemployment payments for you if your business does not make enough.

IMO, you should have a business plan going if you want to do this as a venture to support yourself. Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Wow you guys are superb.. thanks for all this info.. huge help..
Again with the referral thing it happens over here and its a bit more informal than a physical therapist referral ie "you've torn your acl" im referring you to a physical therapist. Thats necessary treatment.
In the case of personal trainer referral it would be "you are clinically obese, high blood pressure etc, I know of a personal trainer you might want to try"
does that make sense? heard of that happenning over there?
Regarding the marketing info.. thanks again.. really interesting.... I definately dont want to work with "jocks" or muscle marys. Im looking to improve quallity of life. Another thing I do here is health days at schools. I basically hit them with a figure and spend the day doing talks and fitness activities with the kids.. Worthwhile.. Final Q.. can you hire out halls, community or schools to teach fitness classes?
Man this is scary.. Im determined to succeed tho!
Thanks again.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you guys are superb.. thanks for all this info.. huge help..
Again with the referral thing it happens over here and its a bit more informal than a physical therapist referral ie "you've torn your acl" im referring you to a physical therapist. Thats necessary treatment.
In the case of personal trainer referral it would be "you are clinically obese, high blood pressure etc, I know of a personal trainer you might want to try"
Regarding the marketing info.. thanks again.. really interesting.... I definately dont want to work with "jocks" or muscle marys. Im looking to improve quallity of life. Another thing I do here is health days at schools. I basically hit them with a figure and spend the day doing talks and fitness activities with the kids.. Worthwhile.. Final Q.. can you hire out halls, community or schools to teach fitness classes?
Thanks again.
Doctors here have to think about liability...they refer you to a non medical person...you sustain an injury...lawsuit!!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:55 am

Sure, that could happen here. It would just be a case of the doctor already knowing someone who is a personal trainer, liking them, and recommending them. That would be more of a "word of mouth" referral. That will take a lot of time to build up, as you'd have to get to know the doctors, they'd have to get to know you, use your services, and then want to recommend you personally to their patients.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:57 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I do here is health days at schools. I basically hit them with a figure and spend the day doing talks and fitness activities with the kids..
Sounds very nice, but it's not going to happen here. Besides needing lots of paper qualifications to just get in the door of a school district, that big L word -- liability -- raises its head again.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:04 am
Just Joined

hmm, nah Im not having that last one.. where do you draw the line on liability.. Im not going to wrap all my clients up in bubble wrap.. As for schools Ill look into it.. They must have a budget for external visits..
You are bang on about the doc referral.. its totally informal so the doc wouldnt be at risk..
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, nah Im not having that last one.. where do you draw the line on liability.. Im not going to wrap all my clients up in bubble wrap.. As for schools Ill look into it.. They must have a budget for external visits..
You are bang on about the doc referral.. its totally informal so the doc wouldnt be at risk..

Your clients probably won't ask you to 'wrap them up in bubble wrap'...but they'll sue the pants off you if they can.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:10 am
Deep in the woods of CT

As for schools Ill look into it.. They must have a budget for external visits..
I don't think you understand the state of the economy -- teachers are using their own money to buy supplies for their classrooms.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Final Q.. can you hire out halls, community or schools to teach fitness classes?
Thanks again.
Again, this is going to be specific down to the city you propose to do this in. But looking up the local Parks department is a good idea; mine offers all sorts of programs which are led by non-staff people.
It's fun just making the plan (well, to me but it's what I do). You will get more and more comfortable with each item that you research, which will take a lot of the 'scary' out of it.

I have been researching a new training facility here in my area; she is offering much the same sort of services you're talking about. I know she did this as work prior to hooking up with an angel investor to finance the building & equipment for her to go independent.
Personally, they scare the crap out of me.. she ran a Baby Boomers Boot Camp that I hear was.. er, extremely tough! They are some hard core workouts at her place.

Regarding the schools, an interesting model for you to look at is a company called Mad Science. They've developed a model for working within schools and in partner with schools that could apply to the sort of thing you're talking about. There are a couple of ways for the school to fund it that are consistent with current budgets.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:25 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

As for schools Ill look into it.. They must have a budget for external visits..
I'm not sure, but I believe some States have rules about anyone who works with children, as regards background checks. I recall some issue about not being able to pass background checks as a new immigrant due to no history. Might affect your school approach.

I suspect the doc would consider themselves at risk on even an informal referral.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Schools and referrals from doctors are pretty much out.

We have a fitness centre here run by the city. I know the yoga teacher gets $30 for teaching an hour's class.

A couple of my neighbours at least use personal trainers on a one-to-one basis.

I would see your way forward as these 2 types of area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.