British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking for graduate jobs in New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-graduate-jobs-new-york-880082/)

AnthonyWalker Jul 7th 2016 10:51 pm

Looking for graduate jobs in New York

Having married a US citizen and gone through the grueling immigration application process, I have finally received my Employment Authorization Card and have the upcoming Green Card interview. However, now I am eligible to work in the US the focus has shifted to finding work.

I graduated with a Master's Degree in International Business with distinction from a top UK University in September 2015. From my research it would appear that the application and interview process in the US is slightly different from the UK, with the US preferring the internship > job route for graduates. As I have largely missed the 2016 summer internship programs I was wondering if anyone has any advice on finding that entry level graduate job in the US?

Naturally I have been searching and applying online for positions, but I am hesitant over the success rate with online applications and would much rather use networking to seek employment. What better network than British Expats?

Any advice is much appreciated and I will do my best to answer any questions!

Anthony

Nutmegger Jul 7th 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Looking for graduate jobs in New York

In what type of business are you looking for employment, and in what role?

AnthonyWalker Jul 7th 2016 11:06 pm

Looking for graduate jobs in New York

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11996862)
In what type of business are you looking for employment, and in what role?

Ideally I am looking for an entry level position in the financial industry. I appreciate that is still rather broad, but at least it gives some indication. In term of the roles I am looking at, my strengths and interests are in sales, business development, innovative problem solving and quantitative analysis.

Hopefully that gives more of an idea. I am happy to provide a link to my linkedin if anyone is interested.

Bob Jul 8th 2016 11:01 pm

Tried going into local banks and asking for a teller position? It would be a foot in the door, getting you a US job experience for your resume and after a few months and a bit of networking, a chance to apply for internal positions.

It's definitely a case of who you know will help a lot more than cold calling and a lower position would be easier to snag.

retzie Jul 9th 2016 3:42 am

Don't most of the big names have graduate programs? Not sure how likely you are to be picked up cold, but still probably more so than for an internship.

Malagos Jul 9th 2016 9:10 am

I work for a financial institution and my route in was to become a consultant with an a firm. I was the places within my current company, after 6-8months they loved me so much they offered me a perm job.

In most instances getting your foot in the door is the hard part then showing your dedication, professionalism and passion they will want to keep you.

Have a look at companies like FDM, Accenture and Deloite.

Starting salaries won't be amazing but as I say there a way in and you think of the future not the current state.

Regards

Malagos