Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking at getting health insurance - what an ordeal!

Looking at getting health insurance - what an ordeal!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at getting health insurance - what an ordeal!

Originally Posted by Rete
I prefer to use Medco for my meds and don't have a Walmart or a Target in our county. But thanks ever so much for trying to steer me to a more cost saving plan.
There is also Giant Eagle, Kroger, Drug Mart plus a few more, usually some local grocery store chain will do something similar. Even with the price you pay for metformin, you are making out like a bandit on the Actos, good insurance needed for that one!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There is also Giant Eagle, Kroger, Drug Mart plus a few more, usually some local grocery store chain will do something similar. Even with the price you pay for metformin, you are making out like a bandit on the Actos, good insurance needed for that one!

Don't I know it. And participating in the FSA is a godsend as well.

For the $12 a year extra for the metformin, I not going to be searching high and low in Westchester County for a pharmacy that will save me that amount.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't I know it. And participating in the FSA is a godsend as well.

For the $12 a year extra for the metformin, I not going to be searching high and low in Westchester County for a pharmacy that will save me that amount.
I could be potentially $120 a year if you are paying $40 for a 90 day supply. With the $10 plans you could pay $40 a year and if you want, all up front so you would only have to buy it once per year. At worst it would be $80 a year. For $12 a year I wouldn't bother but for $120 it might be worth it!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Banned

TonkaToy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be so sure. I have done a lot of research for people specifically finding charities and associations that provide free or reduced cost diabetic supplies and medications, none will cover somebody who has medical insurance. Most even have legal jargon in the things you sign saying that you will notify them if you become insured and you will pay them back should you have coverage but still use their service. Honestly what you want to do leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. There are many, many people who cannot get essential medications because they aren't able to get insurance and cannot work but you seem to think it's OK to get insurance and take money away from the people who really need it. Even worse, pass on the opportunity for coverage just so you don't have to pay. It really is a prick thing to do. Take the insurance and pay for your medications because you can, leave the charities for people who really need them.
It is clear that you have either not read what I have posted or become confused as to what I have posted.

I have free meds & services now but I don't have medical insurance now.

I am fully aware that if I signed up to the medical insurance offerings from my employer that I wouldn't be eligible for free meds and services from the charity where I get them now - and I wouldn't want to. You and others who have made this immoral and disgraceful allegation against me have no basis with which to do so - its your own invented opinion.

I have been advised by a properly qualified professional person in the field of health services that I may wish to stay with the organization that I receive my meds & services from now and that I would be perfectly entitled to do so. Their opinion not mine.

Thankfully, its upto the organizations that provide free meds and services to determine any one person's eligibility for their services and not the opinions of those who are uninformed, anonymous and who are not involved in the cases and process directly.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonkaToy
You and others who have made this immoral and disgraceful allegation against me have no basis with which to do so - its your own invented opinion.
You're a fruitloop. But your amusement value quickly tires.

My advice is to check the behavioral health provisions of your future health insurance policy. You may not think you need them but some of the rest of us undoubtedly do.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're a fruitloop. But your amusement value quickly tires.

My advice is to check the behavioral health provisions of your future health insurance policy. You may not think you need them but some of the rest of us undoubtedly do.
translation : you are a bleedin nutter
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is clear that you have either not read what I have posted or become confused as to what I have posted.

I have free meds & services now but I don't have medical insurance now.
I realize that, no problem there. But either you misunderstand but a) you can't continue to use that if you take insurance and b) when you do get insurance then you don't know how much the drugs will cost because it will depend on numerous things such as where you get them from, what your insurance will pay and often now, what the retail price for them at the time you buy them.

Not taking insurance when you have the opportunity in order to keep using a charity may be legally OK but morally it's the kind of thing an arrogant, selfish prick would do. But I guess you've never met a type 1 diabetic who can't afford to buy insulin because they have no insurance and the charities in their area have a wait list because they have no funds available. Not much fun when you hear they have to decide if they should pay their bills and and buy groceries and risk going into DKA and dying or buying their insulin and risk having their electricity shut off and maybe not being able to eat. I have, it's pretty soul destroying listening to them and being pretty helpless to do anything about it because if you help them now they will have the same problem next month when you might not be able to.

The point is that any of the plans you take will enable you to get coverage for your needs and help somebody else. If it turns out that the coverage this year is not idea then you can change it next year.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

I realize that, no problem there. But either you misunderstand but a) you can't continue to use that if you take insurance and b) when you do get insurance then you don't know how much the drugs will cost because it will depend on numerous things such as where you get them from, what your insurance will pay and often now, what the retail price for them at the time you buy them.

Not taking insurance when you have the opportunity in order to keep using a charity may be legally OK but morally it's the kind of thing an arrogant, selfish prick would do. But I guess you've never met a type 1 diabetic who can't afford to buy insulin because they have no insurance and the charities in their area have a wait list because they have no funds available. Not much fun when you hear they have to decide if they should pay their bills and and buy groceries and risk going into DKA and dying or buying their insulin and risk having their electricity shut off and maybe not being able to eat. I have, it's pretty soul destroying listening to them and being pretty helpless to do anything about it because if you help them now they will have the same problem next month when you might not be able to.

The point is that any of the plans you take will enable you to get coverage for your needs and help somebody else. If it turns out that the coverage this year is not idea then you can change it next year.
Thanks for making me feel a pariah on the nation and to my neighborhood.
I had no idea I was behaving like this and certainly had not intended to be directly responsible for depriving type 1 diabetics of their need for insulin etc.

I think if we all bought into the kind of thinking that you are espousing and the general way all sorts of British people have been made to feel, in modern times, for all kinds of entitlements (until told otherwise), then we would have a much worse society than we have, and that would be governed by crass and self-appointed fork-tongue moralists, who believe and force into the public's consciousness, the nonsense & BS of the 1970's "radical" thinking that eventually came into law and into everyday people's daily lives from the late 1980's and onwards and especially during Tony Blair's tenure. We all know this thinking as Political Correctness and know of the litany of spectacular failures that these ideas have given us.

Your kind of thinking is part of that thinking and which tries to make regular people feel guilty for legal and valid choices, that they are offered. Since it is not-illegal to claim what I am claiming and to make the choices I am making, morality doesn't come into it. I think your moral indignation is more productively directed at those who make health policy, to perhaps change it and not to those who are given and who take those choices.

We all know of people, who believe in a set of principles but who fail time after time to live by their beliefs, politicians being chief among such people.
But I have also met such people and have people in my extended family who espouse left-wing/communist policies, but who privately own houses that they rent to tenants for profit.

In a similar vein, I am aware of directors of the place where I receive health services, who are paid a salary in excess of $100K, while most of the lower level staff are all volunteers. Should we pay such people this kind of salary, or ask them to volunteer their time and expertise?

Last edited by TonkaToy; Feb 22nd 2009 at 5:56 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:12 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for making me feel a pariah on the nation and to my neighborhood.
I had no idea I was behaving like this and certainly had not intended to be directly responsible for depriving type 1 diabetics of their need for insulin etc.

I think if we all bought into the kind of thinking that you are espousing and the general way all sorts of British people have been made to feel, in modern times, for all kinds of entitlements (until told otherwise), then we would have a much worse society than we have, and that would be governed by crass and self-appointed fork-tongue moralists, who believe and force into the public's consciousness, the nonsense & BS of the 1970's "radical" thinking that eventually came into law and into everyday people's daily lives from the late 1980's and onwards and especially during Tony Blair's tenure. We all know this thinking as Political Correctness and know of the litany of spectacular failures that these ideas have given us.

Your kind of thinking is part of that thinking and which tries to make regular people feel guilty for legal and valid choices, that they are offered. Since it is not-illegal to claim what I am claiming and to make the choices I am making, morality doesn't come into it. I think your moral indignation is more productively directed at those who make health policy, to perhaps change it and not to those who are given and who take those choices.

We all know of people, who believe in a set of principles but who fail time after time to live by their beliefs, politicians being chief among such people.
But I have also met such people and have people in my extended family who espouse left-wing/communist policies, but who privately own houses that they rent to tenants for profit.

In a similar vein, I am aware of directors of the place where I receive health services, who are paid a salary in excess of $100K, while most of the lower level staff are all volunteers. Should we pay such people this kind of salary, or ask them to volunteer their time and expertise?
TROLL ALERT: Please don't feed the trolls!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
It's more the pointy hat type

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Sorry, I don't know what you mean?
Is this some kind of inside language?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

I really dont spend much time writing on this board, but yesterday when I saw your post, I wrongly thought I could help if only a little bit, but it would appear to me that you are not taking the advice of those of us who have got insurance and been through what your now going through. Whether or not the charity is helping you now and how you moraly feel about that is none of mine or anyone elses business to be fair, none of us should sit in judgement. However I think it is extremely shortsighted to assume they will continue to pay for the forseeable future. With the economy as it is most charities are being stretched to their absaloute limit. Maybe there will come a time whereby those people in the fortunate position of being in paid employment will not get help.With this in mind TAKE THE INSURANCE ! unless you have the $42.000 hanging around in case of medical emergencies like mine this week of an appendectomy ! You are being offered a good plan with a damn good and well known insurance company.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
It's a nightmare isn't it when you've never had to deal with it before!!
I couldn't believe that I couldn;t get it straight in my head all the different terms. And you are so right, noone knows how to explain the terms because they have grown up here and think everyone understands. I hope everyone here has been able to help you with this
This is what I did post earlier though, growing up here does NOT make it any more understandable! All of this is fairly new to the US market as well.
Plenty of people have been spelling out the options, just not in the specific way he wants.

You're a fruitloop.
Originally Posted by Ray
translation : you are a bleedin nutter
It's more the pointy hat type
See, and there's me, headed straight for "ass hat".

Ergo, I feel trapped and cannot go forward with this sodding thing.
Maybe a forum for 'feelings' would be better for you then?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:07 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
This is what I did post earlier though, growing up here does NOT make it any more understandable! All of this is fairly new to the US market as well.
Plenty of people have been spelling out the options, just not in the specific way he wants.
I see that now....I hadnt read all the posts before I typed.
Not sure I would have replied if I had
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juswus

Also...remember....the first 4 times you get a bill saying your insurance company has rejected the claim or not responded, keep sending it back and asking them to resubmit it. I found out recently that they are utter wankers and wont pay up until you've spent hours chasing them up and stressing over unpaid bills :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:
Your not kidding there Juswus, my wife had surgery on her eye and all the insuance paperwork was filled out and signed by the right people. A week after surgery the same insurance company denied the claim so my wife had to make umpteen phone calls to get it straightend out. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.