British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking for a "GB" sticker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-gb-sticker-162489/)

Webbie Jun 29th 2003 2:20 am

Looking for a "GB" sticker

Hello chaps.

Recently passed my driving test here (Hooray !)
Didn't drive in the UK because it was a small country and there was no need really, but here having your own transport is essential.
Worringly easy test though and judging by the driving of some...

Anyways that is not why I am here.

I want to get one of those old "GB" stickers on the back.
I know that with the EU and all that, they are not needed anymore.
But I want one.
All the British expats cars here have a Union Jack or St Andrew's on their licence plate, but I want to be different !

(Unlike most expats I have already broken convention and have bought a Pontiac Grand Am)

So where can one pick one up ?
I've still got contacts in the UK, so if Halfords do have them - let me know.

Thanks awfully.
Gee.

Patrick Jun 29th 2003 2:59 am

Re: Looking for a "GB" sticker

Originally posted by afosuk

Unlike most expats I have already broken convention and have bought a Pontiac Grand Am)

Why, what do we conventionally drive?

Patrick

Webbie Jun 29th 2003 3:12 am

From what I've seen (although I've only been on the road a few weeks) it always seems to be (what American's call) a SUV.
Or a Range Rover, or a nice sensible Japanese car.

I was advised by nearly everyone not to buy an American car.
To quote my cousin-in-law:
"They are like American people - they are fat and they drink alot !"

But I am in Rome - I wanted to do as the Romans and all that, so I've got a sporty-type "coupe" (without the "aye") get 26 miles to the gallon, bounce like a wave has just hit me when I go over a bump, and loving it !

Now I take great pleasure in driving to Target (with the "aye") and following Chevrolets (and not "ayes")

Gone off a tangent again....
Found a good website for the front licence plate and will be ordered my St George's flag soon !

Ray Jun 29th 2003 3:21 am

Oh God!!!!!! I must sell the Ram, and get a Hillman Minx..you know something sensible...

Patrick Jun 29th 2003 3:26 am

Found a good website for the front licence plate and will be ordered my St George's flag soon !
Pass that one on.

Of all the brits I know 2 have pontiacs and one has a caravan (I think its a chevy). I have a honda but only until I can afford a Nissan Xtrema and my wife wants a VW convertable beetle.

Cars are like everything else, people have different tastes, I always said I would buy a Mustang but now I want to buy an SUV and then next year buy a jet ski to drag behind it.

Patrick

Webbie Jun 29th 2003 3:34 am

The licence plate....?
Here ==> licenceplateshop.com

Or make your own ==>
Acme Licence Maker

Oh bugger forgot the spelling.
S instead if C for licen..

Aw it makes no sense at all.

(P.S.--> would have loved an (original) Mini, but would have been in constant fear of being squashed !)

Patrick Jun 29th 2003 3:44 am

Originally posted by ray6
Oh God!!!!!! I must sell the Ram, and get a Hillman Minx..you know something sensible...
Sensible and Ray in the same sentence, never thought I would ever see that

Patrick

Ray Jun 29th 2003 3:52 am

Originally posted by Patrick
Sensible and Ray in the same sentence, never thought I would ever see that

Patrick
At least your correct and drive a a nice sensible Japanese car made in the USA.. (lol)

mark19964 Jun 29th 2003 9:23 am

And there was me and Debs thinking we could do the "A" Team thing with our chevy conversion van.

Damn, you mean I'll have to drive a dihatsu - aarrggggghhhhhh

Cheers - Mark

Pimpbot Jun 29th 2003 2:37 pm

On a similar note. Me and the missus have been talking about registering a funny license plate for the car. Something like "BOLLOX" or something along the same theme. Anybody think thats possible? or do you think they will catch on? :D

Patrick Jun 29th 2003 3:05 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
On a similar note. Me and the missus have been talking about registering a funny license plate for the car. Something like "BOLLOX" or something along the same theme. Anybody think thats possible? or do you think they will catch on? :D
Any one who knows about bulls will know the word Bollox, try something with shag in it. The shag was invented around here so you put things on your car like topshager, I shag, shag me... and people will think its the dance, only brits will snigger

Patrick

Webbie Jun 29th 2003 3:38 pm

...try something with shag in it. The shag was invented around here so you put things on your car like topshager, I shag, shag me...

...or Smeg, smeg head, smegging.
(Red Dwarf)

Not so sure you could get away with it -
****, **** off, *******.
(Father Ted)

Haven't got a personalised number plate yet, but will think about using something like this on the next renewal.

Pulaski Jun 29th 2003 3:45 pm

Originally posted by afosuk ..... I've got a sporty-type "coupe" (without the "aye") ........
Yep, Americans can't tell the difference between a two-door car and a hen house! :D

Patrick Jun 29th 2003 3:56 pm

Now I take great pleasure in driving to Target (with the "aye") and following Chevrolets (and not "ayes")
Because Target is the posher version of Walmart everyone we know (except my next door neighbours) calls it Tarjay (french prenunciation of Target).

Does anyone else do this or is it just the SE corner of NC

Patrick

Pimpbot Jun 29th 2003 4:03 pm

Thats the first time I have ever heard Target being called Posh lol. We have 10 walmarts within short driving distance from us. And they are building another new one just down the road, in what they call a "big box" development. Those places are humungous!