Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Old Sep 27th 2002, 2:51 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Question Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

HI, if you have looked into this, or have shipped stuff recently, could you tell me who you used if they were good, and who to stay away from?

Thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mooey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Hi Samuelburns
Well it just so happens that I am in the process of doing the same.. I onloy have boxes of personal belongings but the problem I have is I am at present living in Spain..
I called the gentlemanthat fetched my stuff over to Spain from The UK and he said that he will pick it up and take it back to the uk for me and he give me a number of the Air and Cargo people at Gatwick Airport, I have called them and they have said that it will not be a problem, as my fiance will pick it all up the other end and clear it through customs.. I think the prices were pretty reasonable so if yuo are interested let me know and I will give you the name and number of te gentleman at Gatwick..

Originally posted by samuelburns:
HI, if you have looked into this, or have shipped stuff recently, could you tell me who you used if they were good, and who to stay away from?

Thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 8:39 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Can't remember the name of the company my hsuband used as UK-US shippers, but they picked up at his flat in the UK, and delivered to our house and right into our living room about 6 weeks later... about 6-800 bucks for 6 tea chest sized boxes.

I think he just found them out of the yellow pages, and they were what seemed to be a larger, reputable company.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 8:39 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Can't remember the name of the company my hsuband used as UK-US shippers, but they picked up at his flat in the UK, and delivered to our house and right into our living room about 6 weeks later... about 6-800 bucks for 6 tea chest sized boxes.

I think he just found them out of the yellow pages, and they were what seemed to be a larger, reputable company.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi
I've just shipped a load of personal effects over here, all
in boxes (shoes,clothes, books, etc) nothing major.
I went through my Yellow Pages and faxed off to 3 companies for some quotes.
The only way I could weigh them was on my bathroom scales !! but it was close enough as they seem to go more by size/volumn than weight.
My shipping company was from Coventry which is both where I lived and there is a freight airport there (although the stuff went by sea) there were a plethora of agents and being so close it cut down the pick-up costs.
A word of warning !!!!!
I was a bit ripped off. I paid the freight costs in advance and was told that was all i would have to pay my brother in law and I are going to pick them up from the port at Norfolk,
Virginia next Thursday.
When the shipping company over here phoned me last week to discuss customs clearance etc I was told there was another
$125 to pay for clearance and $175 handling costs over here,
plus $25 per week over the first week that I don't pick them up.
So my advice is to check thoroughly with your agent as to ALL of the costs, so you don't get caught out the way I did.
Old Sep 27th 2002, 11:26 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Thanks.
Thanks for your replies folks. I'll have a look in the book....

Cheers, Sam.
Old Sep 28th 2002, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Mooey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Hi Samuelburns
The Air and Cargo number at Gatwick Airport is 01283533575 hope that helps.. Good Luck
Mooey

Thanks for your replies folks. I'll have a look in the book....

Cheers, Sam.
Old Sep 28th 2002, 4:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
In November 2001 I shipped a small house worth of things, mostly clothes, books, records, CDs, kitchen utensils, plus three beds, two wardrobes, two chests of drawers, and a dining table and six chairs. In all it was just short of a 20' container full, about 930 cuft.

I shipped it with Allfreight International and I can't recommend then highly enough - the sevice was excellent. They sent a team to pack, inventory and load the household contents, and everything was paid for through to delivery to an address of my chosing in New York.

They also took care of the airfreighting of two trunks of clothes and basic kitchen utensils until the sea shiptment arrived.

I think we paid around £1,800 for the main surface shipment, and about £120 for the two trunks airfreighted. Plus insurance in both cases. Similarly to Roger Penycate we were stung for handing at the airport for the airfreighted trunks.

I don't have the number to hand, but they had a prominent advert in Yellow Pages.

If you take no other advice from here, SHOP AROUND. Shipping companies set a price based on the resources they have available - you need to find a shipper with few bookings on the day you want to move.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2002 at 3:33 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2002, 11:03 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

Originally posted by Pulaski:

In November 2001 I shipped a small house worth of things, mostly clothes, books, records, CDs, kitchen utensils, plus three beds, two wardrobes, two chests of drawers, and a dining table and six chairs. In all it was just short of a 20' container full, about 930 cuft.

I shipped it with [b[Allfreight International[/b] and I can't recomened then highly enough - the sevice was excellent. They sent a team to pack, inventory and load the household contents, and everything was paid for through to delivery to an address of my chosing in New York.

They also took care of the airfreighting of two trunks of clothes and basic kitchen utensils until the sea shiptment arrived.

I think we paid around £1,800 for the main surface shipment, and about £120 for the two trunks airfreighted. Plus insurance in both cases. Similarly to Roger Penycate we were stung for handing at the airport for the airfreighted trunks.

I don't have the number to hand, but they had a prominent advert in Yellow Pages.

If you take no other advice from here, SHOP AROUND. Shipping companies set a price based on the resources they have available - you need to find a shipper with few bookings on the day you want to move.

Good luck!
Hi - thanks for that detailed response. The amount you paid is about what I expected.

Thanks, Sam.
Old Sep 28th 2002, 4:08 pm
Qwikhog

depends on what you are sending I guess. Any local shipping co. in England
will ship stuff, then more than likely, UPS will take over once it arrives in
the USA.

Old Sep 28th 2002, 10:53 pm
L D Jones

QWIKHOG wrote:
    > depends on what you are sending I guess. Any local shipping co. in England
    > will ship stuff, then more than likely, UPS will take over once it arrives in
    > the USA.

I don't think UPS will handle shipments as large as the ones dicsussed
here. Even a 20 pound box sent via Parcel Force from the UK to the US is
not handled by UPS since they weren't paid to touch it.

Old Sep 29th 2002, 8:40 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

Originally posted by L D Jones:
QWIKHOG wrote:
    > depends on what you are sending I guess. Any local shipping co. in England
    > will ship stuff, then more than likely, UPS will take over once it arrives in
    > the USA.

I don't think UPS will handle shipments as large as the ones dicsussed
here. Even a 20 pound box sent via Parcel Force from the UK to the US is
not handled by UPS since they weren't paid to touch it.
We're definitely not talking about shipping a small parcel here - we're talking about house contents

I'm not sure if UPS or FedEx ship houses

Thanks for your responses.

Sam.
Old Sep 29th 2002, 4:47 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

We're definitely not talking about shipping a small parcel here - we're talking about house contents

I'm not sure if UPS or FedEx ship houses

Thanks for your responses.

Sam.
Hi Sam,

I got a couple of quotes already, one was £1760 and the other was £1500. The cheaper company is based near an USAF base and I have been told are quite reliable.

The urls are

www. overseasremovals.com - £1760

www.the-eurogroup.com - £1500

Good luck

Patrick
Old Sep 30th 2002, 9:52 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

Talking Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hi Sam,

I got a couple of quotes already, one was £1760 and the other was £1500. The cheaper company is based near an USAF base and I have been told are quite reliable.

The urls are

www. overseasremovals.com - £1760

www.the-eurogroup.com - £1500

Good luck

Patrick
Much appreciated - I will be checking them in the next couple of days.

Cheers, Sam.
Old Oct 5th 2002, 7:07 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

Exclamation Re: Looking for belongings shipping advice from UK to US

Originally posted by ukemigrant:

Thanks.
Folks, for any of you coming from Northern Ireland (the UK's poor relation for car/home insurance - ever try phoning any of those companies that advertise on TV?) there is a Company called McGimpseys who ship out of here. I called Allfreight and they don't ship from here.

Haven't tried any of there others as I expect them to give the same answer.

Cheers, Sam.