Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking at Bangor, Maine

Looking at Bangor, Maine

Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

IndyDixie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking at Bangor, Maine

We are looking to move from uk. Wife's dad is US citizen. She is applying for her US passport as such I understand I could get automatic green card to work. Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience. I would be looking to apply for a mortgage, buy a house, get kids in school get a job and replace all the things you take for granted. The Mrs wants to visit and have a fact finding trip. If you have been there and done that, what do I need to address? What do we need to do that isn't immediately obvious, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at Bangor, Maine

Originally Posted by IndyDixie
We are looking to move from uk. Wife's dad is US citizen. She is applying for her US passport as such I understand I could get automatic green card to work. Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience. I would be looking to apply for a mortgage, buy a house, get kids in school get a job and replace all the things you take for granted. The Mrs wants to visit and have a fact finding trip. If you have been there and done that, what do I need to address? What do we need to do that isn't immediately obvious, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Please read this, the CR1 visa is the one you would need to apply for once your wife has her passport.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Presuming your wife is a USC, you would be applying for an immigrant visa which takes about 8-10 months. When you enter the country you then get your greencard.

Fyi, the presumption is a big one. The way you phrased it is odd. Do you mean your wife's dad was a USC when your wife was born and was able to pass on citizenship to his daughter?

Last edited by sir_eccles; Dec 30th 2015 at 2:52 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Presuming your wife is a USC, you would be applying for an immigrant visa which takes about 8-10 months. When you enter the country you then get your greencard.

Fyi, the presumption is a big one. The way you phrased it is odd. Do you mean your wife's dad was a USC when your wife was born and was able to pass on citizenship to his daughter?
Sorry, he is a US citizen
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, he is a US citizen
You mean your wife? Ok if she has been a USC from birth she will need to wait until her passport arrives before she visits. A USC must enter the country on a us passport. In the meantime she can make sure she is up to date with her taxes. File at least the last three years if she hasn't done so.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Please read this, the CR1 visa is the one you would need to apply for once your wife has her passport.
Strictly, it could be IR1, if they've been married long enough.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Strictly, it could be IR1, if they've been married long enough.
True, he does say they have kids.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I know about Bangor is that it used to be the place where all the transatlantic bucket and spade flights used to refuel on the way to Orlando.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Thanks for your reply. My wife has spoken to the US embassy in London about this. Respectfully, I am keen to learn from British people currently residing in the US, upon reflection, what things do you think you would have wanted to find out earlier rather than later? In Florida I noticed not all Americans like the British, I'm curious if anyone has felt this may have hindered their potential employment in the US.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. My wife has spoken to the US embassy in London about this. Respectfully, I am keen to learn from British people currently residing in the US, upon reflection, what things do you think you would have wanted to find out earlier rather than later? In Florida I noticed not all Americans like the British, I'm curious if anyone has felt this may have hindered their potential employment in the US.
Why do you think the Americans in Florida don't like the British?
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:35 pm
Concierge

That's the same everywhere, in every country, and it doesn't just apply to British immigrants, but to any immigrants.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

In what field and in what position will you be seeking employment, and what are your qualifications for your role (advanced degrees, etc.)? Without that info, it's hard for us to estimate your chances of finding a job. Have you pinpointed Bangor because that job is in demand there? As to what you felt in Florida . . . fifty states, fifty different attitudes.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
In what field and in what position will you be seeking employment, and what are your qualifications for your role (advanced degrees, etc.)? Without that info, it's hard for us to estimate your chances of finding a job. Have you pinpointed Bangor because that job is in demand there? As to what you felt in Florida . . . fifty states, fifty different attitudes.
I thought of a more northern state as it is seasonal,having done 2 tours in Cyprus, where it is hot or hotter and you end up sitting in your underwear. My work involves working at height with aerials, masts and fibre optics and cat v as well as a licence to drive an Artic, I thought maybe their version of BT or wind farms might be an option. I have heard though like you said they have different attitudes varying on area in general, but you cant believe everything you hear.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

I thought of a more northern state as it is seasonal,having done 2 tours in Cyprus, where it is hot or hotter and you end up sitting in your underwear. My work involves working at height with aerials, masts and fibre optics and cat v as well as a licence to drive an Artic, I thought maybe their version of BT or wind farms might be an option. I have heard though like you said they have different attitudes varying on area in general, but you cant believe everything you hear.
AT&T is the equivalent of BT here (just about), I can say as a current BT employee. Though the telecoms market is supposed to be a bit more diverse than that.
You'll get a job easily if you have some cabling qualifications. Our cable provider in Texas is currently advertising for staff.
But if you don't like the heat forget here. Then again there aren't many if any states that have "mild" UK weather. They all have their extremes.
As you are mobile, and can get involve in construction (of sorts), I'd go with where the money and jobs are. And where they are building.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.