Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on Texas

Looking for advice on Texas

Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Learn2Fly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice on Texas

Hello.

I see a majority of posters here seem to be located in Texas. I am considering 3 different states at the moment and Texas is one so I was wondering if I could please get some day to day info on Texas from those living there.

How has your transition into day to day life in Texas been for you?
Has it been easy to make friends?
What are some of the bad experiences you've had?

Any advice welcome. Thanks for your time everyone.
Regards, L2F.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for advice on Texas

Just an observation but France is nearly as big as Texas.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

People will be curious...what's your basis for moving? Your background?
We enjoy a little to-ing and fro-ing
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just an observation but France is nearly as big as Texas.
Yeah, this is a pretty much piece of string question that's all a bit pointless.

Stuff that might help make it a bit meaningful would be where one plans to live/work in the state, rough financial setting and if one came because of work or family.

For general stuff, plenty of threads about Texas, Houston and Dallas particularly.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Looking for a better lifestyle basically and to make a better life for myself. Background in financial sector. Looking at the Austin/Huston areas of Texas.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Better lifestyle than what?

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would *want* to live in Texas unless they had some specific reason to be there ...
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Learn2Fly
Looking for a better lifestyle basically and to make a better life for myself. Background in financial sector. Looking at the Austin/Huston areas of Texas.
I think what people are trying to ask is, do you even have a way of moving to the USA at all? i.e. are you in the process of seeking an L-1 visa to transfer to the USA branch of the company you currently work for? Has a US employer given you a job offer and said they would petition an H1B visa for you? Are you thinking of opening your own business in the USA and do an investment visa? Without a visa, you won't be living in the USA at all, so by asking about which state to live in, before stating you have a way to live in the USA, is putting the cart before the horse.

As for my advice, I just got back from a business trip to Houston and I hated it, I would never live there...way too hot and humid for my taste. Although I hear it is a very culturally diverse city with a lot of cultural activities.

Never been to Austin so can't comment on that one.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Like I said it's just one place I'm looking at. I've just started looking into the process and was just looking for advice on the location, that's all. Thanks Rene am just after starting a book on the visa process so am in very early stages right now. Will look around the forums a bit more. Thanks for the responses, sorry for confusion in the question.

Last edited by Learn2Fly; Oct 26th 2014 at 10:55 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You could contribute your story on how your going to move as to add to the body of knowledge that benefits others.

Otherwise...drive-by....
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene am just after starting a book on the visa process so am in very early stages right now.
So you're not actually thinking of moving to the USA? You're just gathering information on "the visa process" (which visa?) so you can write a book about it? I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding your goal here.

But if you just wanted opinions about Houston/Austin, that's fine...I'd avoid Texas altogether if it were me, but that's just my opinion.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Hi I'm Learn2Fly and am considering a move to the states... "

As requested...what makes you think you'd be allowed to?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

No sorry Rene for confusion, I've just starting reading a book about going to live in the US and the different type of Visa's and what the process is with Homes/renting/jobs/lifestyle etc.

Was just looking for opinion on the state as a possible location, thanks for the honest feedback.

L2F
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Hotscot. That's why I'm looking into the visa process to see if I can, I don't just expect I can. It may be the case that I can't and so be it, can't do anything about that if that's the outcome. There are many different types of visa and I may not fit into any of them, but I won't know unless I look into it.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No sorry Rene for confusion, I've just starting reading a book about going to live in the US and the different type of Visa's and what the process is with Homes/renting/jobs/lifestyle etc.

Was just looking for opinion on the state as a possible location, thanks for the honest feedback.

L2F
Tbh though, unless you have a clear path to a visa, there's really no point in deciding on where to live.

Most simply don't qualify for a visa for the U.S., but if you do, then assuming you'd be looking at an employment based one (as you've not mentioned USC's in your immediate family), then you may find you have absolutely no choice in location and you'll just have to go wherever you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you.

So I'd figure out the visa side first, and not worry about geography just yet. I'd also be wary of relying on info in a book, as by the time they're printed they tend to be out of date! Things just change so often in immigration that something that was applicable six months ago may not be applicable now.

From looking at the 'Pulaskis Way' article (which is current), what visa do you think you'd be trying for?

Best of luck with it.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be the normal start point. Can I get a ticket.

You are limiting your options anyway if it is just one location.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.