Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long time no see, N-400 time

Long time no see, N-400 time

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long time no see, N-400 time

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Why? Just curious.
Because then you can vote... and the US government likes that, regardless of who's in the White House.

Ian
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Ok... I guess that sort of makes sense!

I can't wait for my hubby and kids waving flags at the oath ceremony. Might be hard to keep a straight face though? When I went for my biometrics I saw what looked like the ceremony room, it had chairs with little flags on them ready to be waved and it all looked very cheerful.

It's not until september though that I can even apply... so won't get too excited just yet!

Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hubris. How could anyone not want to be a citizen of the USA?

Regards, JEff

A couple of people said: "they want you to be a citizen". Why? Just curious.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Hubris. How could anyone not want to be a citizen of the USA?
Indeed... I'll make sure to be very excited and proud to become a USC but I'll really be thinking "phew we can leave now! (without any hassle if we want to come back)"

Not saying we will leave but you never know.

Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

You know what, I'm as down to earth as they come, and I was all 'eh, I won't cry at the oath ceremony' if I read yet another report of someone crying... then I went for my interview. First thing he said was "please remain standing and repeat after me" and made me swear I'd tell the truth. That's when I started getting jittery, like 'ermahgerd, this is really real'. Then he went over the questions (crimes and stuff, all answers were no), and got to the part where they ask if you will follow the laws of the US etc... (the yes answers, lol) and whaddaya know... I'm answering them with this lame sheepish grin on my face. LOL So.... by then I knew that I'm totally going to be sobbing at the oath ceremony.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
You know what, I'm as down to earth as they come, and I was all 'eh, I won't cry at the oath ceremony' if I read yet another report of someone crying... then I went for my interview. First thing he said was "please remain standing and repeat after me" and made me swear I'd tell the truth. That's when I started getting jittery, like 'ermahgerd, this is really real'. Then he went over the questions (crimes and stuff, all answers were no), and got to the part where they ask if you will follow the laws of the US etc... (the yes answers, lol) and whaddaya know... I'm answering them with this lame sheepish grin on my face. LOL So.... by then I knew that I'm totally going to be sobbing at the oath ceremony.
I have to admit to being singularly unmoved by the ceremony for myself, but it is an eye-opener to see the utter joy on the faces of people from all over the world for whom this is the end of a journey we probably can't imagine, coming as we do from our nice little island. That made me stop being so darn cynical and take the time to appreciate just what it means to become a US citizen to so many people.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mmm I can imagine. So how many people roughly are usually taking the oath at the same ceremony? HunterGreen, do let us know if you cry or not!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm I can imagine. So how many people roughly are usually taking the oath at the same ceremony?
That totally depends on where the oath ceremony is. The bigger cities do thousands at a time, some cities hundreds, smaller towns maybe only a hundred or less....just depends on the population and location.

I think there were around 200 at my husband's oath ceremony in Phoenix in 2009.

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So how many people roughly are usually taking the oath at the same ceremony?
There were only 36 at mine - Lexington, KY.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm I can imagine. So how many people roughly are usually taking the oath at the same ceremony? HunterGreen, do let us know if you cry or not!
I thought I wasn't going to cry, it's just the last bit of paper after all nothing special. But yes, I did in the end find the whole thing quite moving.

Some big cities have so many they do two ceremony's every Friday (Phoenix) other places you might have to wait a while until there are enough people to make it worth their while.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Some big cities have so many they do two ceremony's every Friday (Phoenix) other places you might have to wait a while until there are enough people to make it worth their while.
How many do you think were in your ceremony in Phx?

My husband who was taking the oath didn't cry, but I sure did, even though I wasn't expecting to!!

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mine will be in West Palm Beach if we don't move before that... Gotta be pretty busy there I imagine. Have no idea if I will cry or not, it's possible after what you guys have said! I wonder if Ian cried? ---
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How many do you think were in your ceremony in Phx?

My husband who was taking the oath didn't cry, but I sure did, even though I wasn't expecting to!!

Rene
They said the exact number but I can't remember, 100ish.

You can often find the court schedules online (Google city court oath ceremony or naturalization). Here is Phoenix and Tuscon:

http://www.azd.uscourts.gov/azd/courtinfo.nsf/court/files/$file/natzceremonies.pdf
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I read somewhere that in some places the ceremonies are in a court and in some places they are in the USCIS building (like here).
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:31 am

I read somewhere that in some places the ceremonies are in a court and in some places they are in the USCIS building (like here).
That's correct.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.