Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long time no see, N-400 time

Long time no see, N-400 time

Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long time no see, N-400 time

Just a little update... received my biometrics appointment letter on January 3rd, for January 9th (in Cleveland, indeed).

Online notice today: "On January 15, 2013, your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was scheduled for interview. You will receive a notice with a time and place for your interview."

Going quite nicely, timewise.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are on the ball these days for naturalization interviews and the swearing in ceremony. You will be one of us soon.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Love it, Rete! Can't wait.

Received the interview letter today, interview date is February 22nd. Better get studying.

Looking at other recent timelines for Cleveland I am on the track for 4 months start to finish (filing to oath). Not too shabby!

Last edited by HunterGreen; Jan 20th 2013 at 2:52 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talking Re: Long time no see, N-400 time

Had my interview today.

"You passed the tests of English and US history and government. Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval".

The USCIS officer was very friendly and even fun. It was a really nice experience. Based on my county he said he thinks my oath ceremony will be in about a month! Which is way faster than the standard. Usually people seem to receive the oath letter about a month after their interview, and then the ceremony is another month after that in general. Not that I'm complaining.

He just went over the application questions, then asked me six civics questions, then I had to read a sentence (it was something along the lines of "Which state has the most people") and write a sentence ("California has the most people". I told him I was going to Google that and see if it was actually true. He chuckled. LOL)

My questions were:

There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
I answered: citizens 18 and older can vote.

Who is in charge of the executive branch?
I answered: the president.

During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
I answered: communism.

What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
I answered: freedom of speech.

What is one reason colonists came to America?
I answered: because they wanted freedom of religion.

If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
I answered: the vice-president.

The answers were all correct, obviously, since he stopped after six. I was actually a bit bummed and wished he would have asked me all hundred so I could've shown off a bit, LOL!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Congrats! You did well 6 out of the first 6 correct!

I have just started studying myself...

A question, what do you mean by this: "He just went over the application questions"? Anything to be nervous about? *paranoid as usual when it comes to immigration*
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy

Unless English is not your first language and/or you have some sort of learning disability I would hazard that 6 out of 6 is fairly common. Really it isn't that hard, relax.

A question, what do you mean by this: "He just went over the application questions"? Anything to be nervous about? *paranoid as usual when it comes to immigration*
They just run down what you entered on the N-400 form. Standard stuff really, it mainly checks that you are the person who you say you are and that nothing has changed, such as been out of the country since you filled it in, had children etc.

Again relax, at this stage they want you to become a Citizen. It really is the easiest part.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The officer reviews the N-400 form with you, that's all. If there are any yes/no questions on the form, he might ask those verbally.

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations HunterGreen!!

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Ok cheers... I'm not worried about the "civics", I'm a good student!

I just have these thoughts that I've done something wrong although I really haven't. It's called immigration paranoia. But you guys have just made me feel better.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty stoked!

LOL slummymummy, I understand your immigrations paranoia all too well. During the interview he went over certain questions on the application, where he just asked me the questions verbally and I answered verbally (even though I didn't have any out of the ordinary answers). When he got to the part about the crimes and convictions etc. he asked if I had ever had anything else (all answers had been no), like speeding tickets, and I said 'no' again - because I haven't, LOL. But apparently that's pretty out of the ordinary, because he looked up and said "that's pretty good for Ohio" and I'm immediately nervous and thinking OMG what if he thinks I lied?!? LOL I know darn well I've never gotten a speeding ticket, but I got nervous anyway.

Don't worry though, you'll be fine. I can't speak for all of the officers, but the general consensus seems to be that they're very friendly, and mine wasn't any different.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

OMG! I haven't had a speeding ticket either! Maybe I should try to get one before the end of the year so he/she won't think I'm lying!

Thanks for sharing, I do feel better knowing that it's not just me...

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:44 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!! I just did mine at the end of January. I got lucky and had the interview and oath ceremony on the same day. I wasn't expecting it so was very pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:51 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone else said, nothing to be nervous about. It's all quite painless. I was nervous too but people on BE put my mind at rest. The interviewer isn't trying to trip you up and they want you to become a citizen.

I stuck the CD in my car and listened to it a gazillion times. I also loaded it into iTunes and played it on shuffle on my laptop when I was cooking dinner. I did find it helped me to actually read the booklet so it all made a bit more sense.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

A couple of people said: "they want you to be a citizen". Why? Just curious.

Yes I will stick the CD in the car later on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.