Reload this Page >

Long term Expat plans to USA

Long term Expat plans to USA

Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

James_expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Long term Expat plans to USA

Hello everyone one

Long time reader first time poster here.

I would love to emigrate to the USA in the long-term, i have been looking at various methods for gaining entry and employment but i have several questions.

Firstly it's probably best I give you some background so you know about the factors working for/against me.

- I am a British citizen with a full UK passport
- I am currently in Japan as an English teacher and will have a qualification in TEFL and CELTA at the end of my stay, which will be for atleast another year or two.
- My grandparents are US residents and my uncle is a US citizen
- I have a full accredited BA Honors degree in English from a UK university (Second Class honours, first division or 2:1) with an optional extra study in Public Relations and Writing.
- I have no criminal convictions

I am looking for any ideas that people could have that would get me into the US be it working or studying.

I am extremely interested in studying and practising law, I was wondering if anyone had any stories or first hand experience studying a JD Degree in the states from an expat background. I know that I can sit an LSAT test from my prefecture in Japan which shouldn't be a problem.

I know that there are online degrees available for a JD now aswell, has anyone considered this option and how viable is it as an accreditation to work in the USA.

I would love to hear thoughts from the community, if you require any more details please don't hesitate to ask. If anyone can think of work I may be able to apply for already with my skills/degree in the US that would also be very much appreciated.

Also am i right in thinking that UK residents cannot apply for the Green Card Lottery?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term Expat plans to USA

Originally Posted by James_expat
Also am i right in thinking that UK residents cannot apply for the Green Card Lottery?
No. It's based on where you're born.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
If you were born in Scotland, England or Wales, you are not eligible for the DV lottery. If you were in Northern Ireland, I believe they still qualify for the DV lottery.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:54 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Marry an American or do your JD at an US college
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:03 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that there are online degrees available for a JD now aswell, has anyone considered this option and how viable is it as an accreditation to work in the USA.
You need to think about where you plan on practicing, before going this route, as different state bars have different rules. For example, IIRC, the TX Bar won't accept an online JD, period.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
the TX Bar won't accept an online JD, period.
I think California is the only State that will ..
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
I think California is the only State that will ..
While I would have no problems living an working in California, Having that limitation would probably be a pain if I did decide to move. Would it be possible to sit some extra qualification once in the states if i did go the online route to open up my options?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:25 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

While I would have no problems living an working in California, Having that limitation would probably be a pain if I did decide to move. Would it be possible to sit some extra qualification once in the states if i did go the online route to open up my options?
I honestly don't know. My gut feeling is no, but there might be some loophole whereby state bars have an equivalent to CCW reciprocity - I couldn't say.

In the broader sense, this suggests to me that your plans are still insufficiently formed. You don't appear to have grasped the concept of States' Rights, which is essential to understanding the US. Without it, you'll look exclusively to federal matters, assuming the USA to be a giant England. Which it's not.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read ...

http://www.taft.edu/lw1.htm
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Thanks very much the page I found at Concord was alot less informative
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

In almost all states, you're going to need a 3 year, in school JD. Some states like CA and NY will allow you to practice with a foreign law degree and then an American LLM (1 year course) provided you have some specific coursework during your study. And then of course there is the bar exam when it is all over.

Law school is pretty expensive, and you're going to need to show the ability to pay for it just to get the visa to come over. While there may be some financial aid available it's few and far between for international students. You'll need to contact the financial aid offices and International student offices of the schools you are considering.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:54 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe no-one's posted Pulaski's Ways on How to Live and Work in the USA so here is the Wiki article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your input! Its a real eye opener so far but in no way disuading. Thinking it may be shited from a 5 year goal to 10 more realisticaly however.

Thank you
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

So I'd like to bring this topic back up with a question, instead of posting a new thread.

I've been studying long and hard, still interested in law school in the USA but one thing I can't find out is this:

If I manage to raise the funds and get an offer to an American law school, how long do I have after graduation to look for a job before I get shipped back to England? Do i pretty much have to be given a job offer before i graduate to stay in the country or is there a grace period?

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So I'd like to bring this topic back up with a question, instead of posting a new thread.

I've been studying long and hard, still interested in law school in the USA but one thing I can't find out is this:

If I manage to raise the funds and get an offer to an American law school, how long do I have after graduation to look for a job before I get shipped back to England? Do i pretty much have to be given a job offer before i graduate to stay in the country or is there a grace period?

Thanks
Some student visas have a period of time available after school for working, called OPT/Optional Practical Training. Other than that, the education and employment visas/status are not related.
If you do not have a new employment visa/status by the time your OPT is done, you can't stay in the US unless you have found some other way to stay (often marriage to a USC). Just getting 'a job' is not enough to keep you in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.