Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long shot request to anyone in Syracuse

Long shot request to anyone in Syracuse

Old May 3rd 2011, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long shot request to anyone in Syracuse

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yeah but you have that pesky inner moral struggle that would probably keep me safe-ish.
Crap, you're right.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I had found the number too, I'll see if Rose wants to call.

Rose is over 99% sure it is a Magnolia, she says she has pictures, I had told her about the back view on zillow. Hopefully she got some more. Being able to say she has written books on the subject she might have got away with a phone call.

Last edited by bevinva; May 3rd 2011 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Update
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I had found the number too, I'll see if Rose wants to call.

Rose is over 99% sure it is a Magnolia, she says she has pictures, I had told her about the back view on zillow. Hopefully she got some more. Being able to say she has written books on the subject she might have got away with a phone call.
How exciting!
Old May 4th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

This is the link to her blog which will have the updates. It's quite a fancy house to have delivered by train on a boxcar in bits for you to build yourself.

http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/blog/

It is now updated with pictures of the house. No word of contact with the owners.

Last edited by bevinva; May 4th 2011 at 1:25 am.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is the link to her blog which will have the updates. It's quite a fancy house to have delivered by train on a boxcar in bits for you to build yourself.

http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/blog/
heh, aren't they something though? We have a lot of Sears kit houses in my neighbhorhood, but no Magnolias (alas).
Old May 4th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh, aren't they something though? We have a lot of Sears kit houses in my neighbhorhood, but no Magnolias (alas).
Rose would love you to send her pics of any kit homes, front and both sides. It is amazing that not that long ago the "average" man could build his own house.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:45 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a look at her blog, fascinating, and WOW those houses are gorgeous, especially the magnolia!! I love the Sears houses!!

They don't make 'em like that anymore
Old May 4th 2011, 4:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rose would love you to send her pics of any kit homes, front and both sides. It is amazing that not that long ago the "average" man could build his own house.
You see a shed load of home made kit houses up in Maine...
Old May 4th 2011, 3:53 pm

Let her know to google Sears kit homes, Portland OR and she'll find several sites devoted; I even stumbled on a couple of posts from her.
Old May 6th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

If you use my previous link to her blog you'll see she has spoken to the owners of the house and they confirmed it is a Magnolia. Now we need to look out for more of them.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:17 pm

If you use my previous link to her blog you'll see she has spoken to the owners of the house and they confirmed it is a Magnolia. Now we need to look out for more of them.
Yay! That's cool.. I am enjoying her blog, thanks for bringing it here.
Old May 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yay! That's cool.. I am enjoying her blog, thanks for bringing it here.
Did you see her house in Norfolk is for sale, it is beautiful.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:48 pm

Did you see her house in Norfolk is for sale, it is beautiful.
zomg, and what a great price! It would go almost double that here.
I have the self same door chime! And I did have the same thermostat but have updated it recently.
Love the little house too.. too bad we're not ready to move across country. She has done a beautiful job. Perfect, really!
Old May 29th 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Ohio556 will become famous soon enoughOhio556 will become famous soon enough

A lady I know has written books on Sears kit homes and one of the rarest is the Magnolia model. She has information that there may be one at 1500 James Street in Syracuse. If there is anyone on here who might live near there and they could take pictures of the front and sides in as much detail as possible without getting arrested she would love to have them. We are in Virginia so it's a bit of a drive.

Like I said, a long shot.

If the woman shows the book she has written on the homes and tells the person in question, "your home is so lovely and it is just the sort of home I write about" and then asks politely, "may I please take a few pictures of the sides and back of your home" most people would probably let her take the pictures...

Some people might even invite her inside, but she'd probably have to have the book and possibly ID to show the name on the ID is the same name as the author of the book. At the very least the book...

A lot of Americans would be thrilled that somebody was taking an interest in their home, as long as they could be reasonably certain the interest was not the sort of interest being shown by somebody casing the joint for a later late-night visit.

Usually people are very friendly and if you just chat them up and start a conversation they'll offer to let you try out dirt bike X, revolver B, rifle A, etc...

When I was in a shooting range shooting my UZI some nearby shooters noticed it, took interest in it, and one was asking a number of questions, so after a few minutes of talking I asked him, "do you want to shoot it?" and I prepared to get a magazine, he said, "sure, but I'll load up a magazine with my ammo, I don't want to use up yours" and he loaded up a magazine and fired it off.

Last edited by Ohio556; May 29th 2011 at 8:37 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

randomly hitting up old threads....must have missed the bit where the OP mentioned it being a rather long road trip for the author....or that they got the info they were looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.