Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Hi

I am being interviewed at the moment for jobs in the US (hopefully starting October next year when the new H1B come in). I am an auditor looking to work in public practice firms or Big 4. Now all I hear is that in the US you have to work really long hours (weekends too) and have barely no holiday (1 week seem to be the norm). I am starting to think it is not worth coming to the US if all I do is work. I am not lazy, but 100 hour week seem a bit much to me…
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Originally Posted by Mary
Hi

I am being interviewed at the moment for jobs in the US (hopefully starting October next year when the new H1B come in). I am an auditor looking to work in public practice firms or Big 4. Now all I hear is that in the US you have to work really long hours (weekends too) and have barely no holiday (1 week seem to be the norm). I am starting to think it is not worth coming to the US if all I do is work. I am not lazy, but 100 hour week seem a bit much to me…
If you've worked for the Big 4 in the UK you will be no stranger to long hours!!

1 week holiday seems a bit low, but you will start lower than the UK no doubts there!

From personal experience the hours are longer but they dont work as hard in that time.

Depends what you want from coming over - if its to see America there isnt much point if you work all the time - offices are pretty much the same the world over!!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but 100 hour week seem a bit much to me…
40 hours weeks are a lot more common I think than 100 hour weeks.......

if you're single / no kids............go for it. the adventure alone makes up for the lack of holidays, which is a pain in the arse.........

obviously if you have others to think of, then the decision is more tricky.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you are working in the audit practice of the Big 4 ...you can count on working a min of 60 hrs per week Jan thro June...the audit season. A normal working day would begin around 7 to 7.30 am.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 20th 2006 at 1:40 am.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are working in the audit practice of the Big 4 ...you can count of working a min of 60 hrs per week Jan thro June...the audit season. A normal working day would begin around 7 to 7.30 am.
I didn't like working in academia in the UK but compared to some of the corporate working practices here, it's a joy... OK 5pm. Time for
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

dbman is an unknown quantity at this point

Long hours are the norm here. I currently work as a consultant, and work beween 50 to 60 hours a week mainly due to the owner wanting to claim those hours for billing. It's small firm and I m thankful for the work. b/c it came after quite a few unsuccessful interviews.

When we are approaching project dealines,weekend work is expected, and the owner can claim more hours. As an aside, I find he sometimes increases my hours on the timesheet

Make me miss the 9 to 5 I used to do in England. of the 8 to 8 for four days, with 4 days off shift I did in my last two years there.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Come for the unique experience of living and breathing a different culture (for the US is a very different culture no matter how much you think you know it) but don't come expecting it to be a paid holiday.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Come for the unique experience of living and breathing a different culture (for the US is a very different culture no matter how much you think you know it) but don't come expecting it to be a paid holiday.
That's for sure, it'll give you a new appreciation for things, and be an adventure...plus it'll look good on the resume.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 2:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
40 hours weeks are a lot more common I think than 100 hour weeks.......

if you're single / no kids............go for it. the adventure alone makes up for the lack of holidays, which is a pain in the arse.........

obviously if you have others to think of, then the decision is more tricky.
40 plus hours a week are more the norm that 40 hour weeks in the US. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the average hours worked per week by exempt employees is close to 60 and that includes weekends!

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:06 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As everyone else had said, expect long hours to the norm with very little time off.
Whether its worth it or not....that is up to you, depends what you want out of your time here. If you're thinking that you can travel the country, see the sights, make new friends etc etc the reality of it might be that all you do is see the inside of your office cube and not much else.
The work culture here is a lot different to the UK, not as much joking around and as for a lunch hour - it is very often a quick sandwich in front of your PC and then back to work. Mention the pub at lunchtime and they'll think you're an alcoholic.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:17 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mary]Hi
My OH works longer hours. Starts at 7.30 but once or twice a week he has to be there at 6.30 for meetings. He gets home at about the same time as in the UK. Only 2 weeks holiday though (he used to get 6) and we are getting the distinct impression that they would prefer him not to take all his holiday each year!!
His work environment is more cut throat than in the UK. Hang onto your ladder because theres always someone shaking it.
He also has to work one weekend in three but could be called on to do more.
He also gets asked to do presentations which run on into the evening. Basically if the boss says jump then be prepared to jump very high and do it quickly.
All of this means that the higher salary is diluted somewhat by the longer hours and we find the cost of living here high.

But he loves his job and there is more opportunity here for him. As for seeing the USA....no time.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jumping doris]
Hi
My OH works longer hours. Starts at 7.30 but once or twice a week he has to be there at 6.30 for meetings. He gets home at about the same time as in the UK. Only 2 weeks holiday though (he used to get 6) and we are getting the distinct impression that they would prefer him not to take all his holiday each year!!
His work environment is more cut throat than in the UK. Hang onto your ladder because theres always someone shaking it.
He also has to work one weekend in three but could be called on to do more.
He also gets asked to do presentations which run on into the evening. Basically if the boss says jump then be prepared to jump very high and do it quickly.
All of this means that the higher salary is diluted somewhat by the longer hours and we find the cost of living here high.

But he loves his job and there is more opportunity here for him. As for seeing the USA....no time.
Where do you live that you find the cost of living high?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D

plenty of places are rather high....it's pretty steep here in mass compared to what the salaries are, certainly compared to back in maine.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:56 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

I guess sometimes its worth putting in the time to give your career a really good bump up, short term pain for long term gain??
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:16 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Big D]
Originally Posted by jumping doris

Would you believe......Pittsburgh.
We live in an expensive suburb for the schools. They are excellent but we pay dearly for it with high property taxes. Very expensive gas costs in the Winter. Although petrol is cheap I have done three times as many miles in one year as I did in the UK.

We had to buy our house in a hurry and we could have bought in the same area for less if we had had more time, so we are thinking of selling and buying a cheaper house to reduce tax and mortgage.

Lots of clubs for children but expensive fees.....swim team $600pa, riding lessons $180 per month, tons of school trips the list is endless and because of the cost my kids don't do hardly any of the things their friends do.
I don't find grocery shopping cheap...family of 5 $400 a week.
We rarely eat out because anywhere decent is costly.

I also think that there are lots of hidden costs to living here such as expected donations to police and fire dept, Housing assoc fees, and the biggie ..medical expenses.
I used to run my own business back in the UK and so I was always able to work a bit harder and earn a bit more but I am an H4 here.

Why do we stay... well we have only been here a year and so things may get better. My OH was promised bonuses and an annual salary increase but they have yet to appear. If they do and if we get green cards next year (EB2) then things will ease.

You did ask

Last edited by jumping doris; Oct 20th 2006 at 7:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.