Reload this Page >

Long Birth Certifficate (UK) Question

Long Birth Certifficate (UK) Question

Old Jul 8th 2002, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Birth Certifficate (UK) Question

hi all again,
i just got copys of my kids birth certificates for my spousal visa interview at london , my kids have decided to stay in the uk but i noticed that on my daughters birth certificate im not registered as the farther because i was working at the time her mum registered her and you both have to be present to be registered will this cause any problems? especially if she changed her mind sometime in the future?

Once again many thanks.

Kind regards

Keith & Debs
Old Jul 8th 2002, 3:20 pm
Morkai Kurst

Default Re: Long Birth Certifficate (UK) Question

Hate to say this but that's cobblers. My father wasn't present when my mum registered
me and his name is on my certificate.

In fact it doesn't even have to be the parent who registers the childs birth. If you
look on it it it says mother, father and further down 'birth registered by' or
something to that effect.

Perhaps her mum got someone who didn't know what they were talking about when she
registered the birth. What I don't know is if its correctable or not...

Morkai

"mrpilock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi all again, i just got copys of my kids birth certificates for my spousal visa
    > interview at london , my kids have decided to stay in the uk but i noticed that on
    > my daughters birth certificate im not registered as the farther because i was
    > working at the time her mum registered her and you both have to be present to be
    > registered will this cause any problems? especially if she changed her mind
    > sometime in the future?
    >
    > Once again many thanks.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Keith & Debs
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 8th 2002, 6:20 pm
Morkai Kurst

To clarify now I'm home and can look at my own certificate. Section 11 of the long
form birth certificate is titled 'Informant' and requests 'name and surname (if not
the mother or father)' and 'qualification'.

Without wishing to cast any bad thoughts it is basically up to the person registering
the childs birth as to what it put on there. Your ex-wife may well have been
misinformed by the registrar...

Unfortunately you cannot change the registration details however if it comes to
proving at a later date that your daughter is truely your own a DNA test would prove
parentage without a doubt and I can't believe the INS would not accept the results of
such as valid proof of your daughter being yours.

hth a bit

Morkai

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1026138677.10100.0.nnrp-10.d4e4...ws.demon.co.uk...
    > Hate to say this but that's cobblers. My father wasn't present when my mum
    > registered me and his name is on my certificate.
    >
    > In fact it doesn't even have to be the parent who registers the childs birth. If
    > you look on it it it says mother, father and further down 'birth registered by' or
    > something to that effect.
    >
    > Perhaps her mum got someone who didn't know what they were talking about when she
    > registered the birth. What I don't know is if its correctable or not...
    >
    > Morkai
    >
    > "mrpilock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > hi all again, i just got copys of my kids birth certificates for my spousal visa
    > > interview at london , my kids have decided to stay in the uk but i noticed that
    > > on my daughters birth certificate im not registered as the farther because i was
    > > working at the time her mum registered her and you both have to be present to be
    > > registered will this cause any problems? especially if she changed her mind
    > > sometime in the future?
    > >
    > > Once again many thanks.
    > >
    > > Kind regards
    > >
    > > Keith & Debs
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 8th 2002, 9:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I needed to obtain my long form (British) birth certificate form my spousal visa last year.

I got one hell of a shock when I saw it. I immediately noticed four (yes as many as four) mistakes! My husband told me not to bother with making corrections but I insisted that I needed to do this.

The story is as follows-
My Dad registered my birth. His surname, his own surname is misspelt! There were three other errors.

I phoned up the Register Office where my birth was registered and asked what could be done to correct the errors. I am convinced that the council staff who assisted my Dad in registering my birth did not follow correct procedures. i.e. reading back the details taken and allowing my Dad to see the birth certificate before he signed.

Anyway, since my Dad registered my birth (and coincidentally, my mother was not present at registration but she sure is on the document, albeit originally with spelling errors), I obtained his written authority to allow me to make the corrections.

I had to bring in my Mum's passport in to prove the misspelling of her maiden name. In fact, in total, there were FIVE errors on my birth cert.

Basically, I needed original documentation to back up the changes. I was present at the correcting of my birth certificate. Please note that a replacement, correct birth certificate is not produced but corrections to the original are made. So, mine had all these crossings out and amendments. Looked like a dog's dinner in the end but I got it corrected.

For the original poster: I would contact the Chief (head honcho) Registrar and ask what you need to do to add yourself to your children's birth cert. I would attempt to speak to the most senior person in the Registrar so you are not given inaccurate info (I'm speaking from personal experience). The whole process took 2-3 weeks from the time I started making noises about the errors on the doc.

Best of luck,
Old Jul 8th 2002, 9:55 pm
vix
Forum Regular

vix is an unknown quantity at this point

Morkai

It isn't cobblers, at the time of registering my son I was told that his father would have to be physically present with me if he was to be included on the birth certificate.

Keith

I'm not sure if you not being on your daughter's birth certificate would cause any problems in the future if she wanted to join you..... although, if you were to petition her as an immediate relative you actually have no proof that you are her father ie. no birth certificate so then yes i suppose it could be a problem.

However it is possible to re register the birth and have yourself included.If i was you i'd phone the registrar's office and ask them how you would go about doing this.
Old Jul 9th 2002, 12:20 am
Morkai Kurst

Fair enough, I stand corrected, must be a new thing, that certainly wasn't the case
24 years ago when I was registered. Okay that was 20 years back, I know things change
but it seems a very strange rule to have passed. Extremely unfair too, considering
how hard it is for some people to get time off work.

My aunt has just had a kid, I'll ask her if they had the same issues when they
registered their kids (max of 2 years ago)

Morkai

"vix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Morkai
    >
    > It isn't cobblers, at the time of registering my son I was told that his father
    > would have to be physically present with me if he was to be included on the birth
    > certificate.

Old Jul 9th 2002, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys,
i guess it stired up some conversation, LOL, anyway i think the best thing is like was said to ring the UM big chief registrar and see what can be done if anything hope fully before the end of the month as we set off for london on the 31st.
Thanks again.

Kind regards

Keith & Debs
Old Jul 9th 2002, 8:20 pm
Squire

In article <[email protected]>, Morkai Kurst
<[email protected]> writes
    >Fair enough, I stand corrected, must be a new thing, that certainly wasn't the case
    >24 years ago when I was registered. Okay that was 20 years back, I know things
    >change but it seems a very strange rule to have passed. Extremely unfair too,
    >considering how hard it is for some people to get time off work.
    >
    >My aunt has just had a kid, I'll ask her if they had the same issues when they
    >registered their kids (max of 2 years ago)
    >
    >Morkai
    >
    >"vix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Morkai
    >>
    >> It isn't cobblers, at the time of registering my son I was told that his father
    >> would have to be physically present with me if he was to be included on the birth
    >> certificate.

<http://www.statistics.gov.uk/>

Parents married to each other

If the parents of the child were married to each other at the time of the birth (or
conception), either the mother or the father may register.

Parents not married to each other

If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the child's birth (or
conception), the father's particulars may be entered in the register only in the
following circumstances

the mother and father go to the register office and sign the birth register
together, or

etc etc

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Jul 11th 2002, 5:20 pm
Greeneyes

Is there a long form British birth certificate? My fiance has a birth certificate
that he said is the original. What is the difference between a "long" and "other"
birth certificate?

Totally Confused in Chicago!

NC Penguin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I needed to obtain my long form (British) birth certificate form my spousal visa
    > last year.
    >
    > I got one hell of a shock when I saw it. I immediately noticed four (yes as many as
    > four) mistakes! My husband told me not to bother with making corrections but I
    > insisted that I needed to do this.
    >
    > The story is as follows- My Dad registered my birth. His surname, his own surname
    > is misspelt! There were three other errors.
    >
    > I phoned up the Register Office where my birth was registered and asked what
    > could be done to correct the errors. I am convinced that the council staff who
    > assisted my Dad in registering my birth did not follow correct procedures. i.e.
    > reading back the details taken and allowing my Dad to see the birth certificate
    > before he signed.
    >
    > Anyway, since my Dad registered my birth (and coincidentally, my mother was not
    > present at registration but she sure is on the document, albeit originally with
    > spelling errors), I obtained his written authority to allow me to make the
    > corrections.
    >
    > I had to bring in my Mum's passport in to prove the misspelling of her maiden name.
    > In fact, in total, there were FIVE errors on my birth cert.
    >
    > Basically, I needed original documentation to back up the changes. I was present at
    > the correcting of my birth certificate. Please note that a replacement, correct
    > birth certificate is not produced but corrections to the original are made. So,
    > mine had all these crossings out and amendments. Looked like a dog's dinner in the
    > end but I got it corrected.
    >
    > For the original poster: I would contact the Chief (head honcho) Registrar and ask
    > what you need to do to add yourself to your children's birth cert. I would attempt
    > to speak to the most senior person in the Registrar so you are not given inaccurate
    > info (I'm speaking from personal experience). The whole process took 2-3 weeks from
    > the time I started making noises about the errors on the doc.
    >
    > Best of luck,

Old Jul 11th 2002, 6:20 pm
L D Jones

Greeneyes wrote:
    >
    > Is there a long form British birth certificate? My fiance has a birth certificate
    > that he said is the original. What is the difference between a "long" and "other"
    > birth certificate?

The "long form" contains information about the child's parents that is not present on
the short form. Both would be marked original if they were orignal documents (my
British wife has both the "short" and "long" ones).

Only the "long" form is acceptable to INS.