Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long Beach - Oakland

Long Beach - Oakland

Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Beach - Oakland

Hi All,

Anyone have any experience/advice, air travel (JetBlue Airways) from Long Beach Airport to Oakland?

I am considering this travel as it's significantly lower than LAX SFO way.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Beach - Oakland

I've traveled to OAK and SJC a few times to save some money vs. SFO, but with the advent of Virgin America to SFO prices have come down a bit. OAK airport is a bit small, and SJC quite a bit smaller, but it all depends on where you need to be. When renting a car, not a big difference. Actually OAK and SJC are a bit easier than SFO where you have to shuttle train to the car rental place.

Check Virgin America as I think they also fly that route, but to SFO instead.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

This is my research. At the moment I have LAX-SFO for 210$ for the dates and times I am flying.

LBG - OAK is around 130$ so that is a good saving. Plus OAK is well connected by BART to downtown SF (accommodation)? ....

I won't be driving - well not immediately when I land in LA given the wrong side of the road (I am from Australia) will take a few days getting used to.

Makes sense? Am I missing anything. I want to know if JetBlue and decent and so is Long Beach Aport.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Jet Blue is OK - no worse than anyone else.

While I realize that the percentage difference in the fares is substantial, in absolute terms it is only $80 which really isn't that much so personally I would go for whatever flights were more convenient.

Depending on where you are going to be in the LA area it could be a pain to get to Long Beach and that alone could be more trouble and time than $80 is worth.

Also, be aware that short haul commuter flights like this have pretty much the worst on-time performance you can get. If there are any kind of delays or problems it is these flights that get delayed and / or canceled first so you may spend a lot of time sitting at the departure airport waiting for your flight.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:31 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

If you fancy a scenic route go by Amtrack its a 10-12hrs journey and around $65 1 way.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Long beach airport is a good airport for not experiancing delays - parking is great, you literally park next to the terminal, even the coffee shop is outside under an umbrella We really like Jet Blue - one of the better 'small' carriers. It's such a quick flight, I wouldn't be messing about with LAX.

* sorry I didn't realise you were flying into LAX and getting a connecting flight. It may be easier from LAX then. You can get a supershuttle to Long Beach, about 20-30 mins, if you wanted to save that extra $

Last edited by sambapink; Mar 21st 2010 at 2:59 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Jet Blue is OK - no worse than anyone else.

While I realize that the percentage difference in the fares is substantial, in absolute terms it is only $80 which really isn't that much so personally I would go for whatever flights were more convenient.

Depending on where you are going to be in the LA area it could be a pain to get to Long Beach and that alone could be more trouble and time than $80 is worth.

Also, be aware that short haul commuter flights like this have pretty much the worst on-time performance you can get. If there are any kind of delays or problems it is these flights that get delayed and / or canceled first so you may spend a lot of time sitting at the departure airport waiting for your flight.
I will be based in West LA so it will be an hour drive to Long Beach I think......I know $80 is not a lot but I am traveling on a budget..
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sambapink
Long beach airport is a good airport for not experiancing delays - parking is great, you literally park next to the terminal, even the coffee shop is outside under an umbrella We really like Jet Blue - one of the better 'small' carriers. It's such a quick flight, I wouldn't be messing about with LAX.

* sorry I didn't realise you were flying into LAX and getting a connecting flight. It may be easier from LAX then. You can get a supershuttle to Long Beach, about 20-30 mins, if you wanted to save that extra $
I actually will be flying into LAX but my onward to SFO is not before 4 days of rest! SO getting from West LA to Long beach is the only consideration.

Plus, getting from Oakland to the financial district is easier/cheaper I am told.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
I actually will be flying into LAX but my onward to SFO is not before 4 days of rest! SO getting from West LA to Long beach is the only consideration.
Depending on exactly where you will be you might also consider flying out of Burbank.

Plus, getting from Oakland to the financial district is easier/cheaper I am told.
There really isn't much difference - it's 30 minute on BART from SFO to Montgomery Street and 20 minutes from OAK.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I will be based in West LA so it will be an hour drive to Long Beach I think......I know $80 is not a lot but I am traveling on a budget..
Surely the easiest and cheapest and most flexible option would be to go with Southwest.

LAX or Burbank to either SFO or Oakland. Easy peasy
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
Surely the easiest and cheapest and most flexible option would be to go with Southwest.

LAX or Burbank to either SFO or Oakland. Easy peasy
Checked southwest already. Cheapest for the dates for me is 76+114+taxes.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Checked southwest already. Cheapest for the dates for me is 76+114+taxes.
You do realize, of course, that there is a good chance that all of those fares have already changed. Until you actually pick an airline and pay for the tickets you don't really know exactly how much it is going to cost ...

Unless you have a friend who is going to drive you there for free I don't know how you are going to get from LA to Long Beach in any kind of reasonable time for less than $40 or $50 ....
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:11 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

There's always last minute with Priceline, just a thought.\

My ex-boss got a flight the other week rtn from Miami to SFO $249 incl.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your time. I will update with I am get. And yes family is both LA and SF so no issues getting around.

Thanks again..
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

And yes family is both LA and SF so no issues getting around.
Well, in that case all you need to do is to persuade the family in LA that they want to drive up to San Francisco to visit the rest of the family - problem solved ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.